News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Progress Pics - Exhaust System Install

Started by Shakey, October 24, 2005, 10:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I installed the TTi 2.5" exhaust system this past weekend on my '69 Charger and it fit like a glove.  :thumbs:  I went with the H-pipe hooked up to my manifolds, despite the X-pipe suggestion. 

The only modifications we had to do was to cut about 12" off of the back of the tail pipes as I wanted to use Accurate exhaust tips instead of the TTi tips.  I was told I had to do this from the fellows at TTi prior to ordering their exhaust system.  Oh yeah, we had to add the body brackets (muffler hangers bolt to these) as I had new floor pans installed and they were missing.

I was amazed at how well it fit under the car and even more impressed with the way it sounded when we fired the engine afterwards.  The system is hanging in there, snug but not finalized as I have to remove my exhaust manifolds next weekend to send them out for ceramic coating and install the spark plug heat shields and spark plug wire routing kit.

:2thumbs: to the folks at TTi for making such a decent system, well manufactured and easy to work with.

:2thumbs: to the folks at Accurate for making some pretty sweet stainless steel tips and offering them at a reasonable price.

and of course -  :2thumbs: to the members here that pointed me in the right direction when I originally asked about exhaust systems and tips.

Thanks folks!  :cheers:

Shakey

BrianShaughnessy

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

4402tuff4u

Nice job!! Looks great....can wait until I'm to that point. What mufflers did you go with?
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

694spdRT

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

firefighter3931

Quote from: Shakey on October 24, 2005, 10:28:22 AM 

I went with the H-pipe hooked up to my manifolds, despite the X-pipe suggestion.  

Why's that Mike ? There isn't a big cost difference between the two....but there is a definate performance advantage with the   "X"   ???

Ron

Ps. looks good ! TTI stuff is top notch.

Pss. Eastwood makes a nice manifold paint that holds up extremely well. I saw a set recently that had 3yr old paint on them and they looked like they'd just been done yesterday...no rust or flaking   :thumbs:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

694spdRT

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 24, 2005, 10:45:42 AM
Pss. Eastwood makes a nice manifold paint that holds up extremely well. I saw a set recently that had 3yr old paint on them and they looked like they'd just been done yesterday...no rust or flaking  :thumbs:

That is what I used...hope it works good.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Shakey

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 24, 2005, 10:45:42 AM
Quote from: Shakey on October 24, 2005, 10:28:22 AM 

I went with the H-pipe hooked up to my manifolds, despite the X-pipe suggestion.  

Why's that Mike ? There isn't a big cost difference between the two....but there is a definate performance advantage with the   "X"   ???

Ron

Ps. looks good ! TTI stuff is top notch.

Pss. Eastwood makes a nice manifold paint that holds up extremely well. I saw a set recently that had 3yr old paint on them and they looked like they'd just been done yesterday...no rust or flaking   :thumbs:

Hi Ron,

Initially I was going to go with an Accurate exhaust system, for that total stock look.  I did want to get a bit of performance from my exhaust system so I started leaning towards the TTi products.  I know you and I discussed the x-pipe here on the site but in the end, I wanted to still have that somewhat stock looking system.  I feel I got the best of both worlds.

I actually have a can of the Eastwood's finish at home and planned on using it but I have been told that if the car sits for a period of time (winter) the moisture can cause some grief for the finish.   :shruggy:  One of Wayne's friends told us of a place in Windsor, ON that will coat the manifolds, inside and out and then put a finish on them so they have that factory cast iron look.  He says about $250.00 CDN.  I plan on looking into this this week and will share the info.  I never considered it before as I assumed or should I say, it sounded expensive.  But for $250.00, I think that is reasonable.  I still might just go with the Eastwoods coating for now and consider the ceramic in the future.

firefighter3931

Mike, i've heard of the ceramic coating causing rust issues....make sure you get some type of guarantee in writing. The eastwood coated manifolds i described have been on the car 3 years and it is stored in an unheated garage during the winter months, fwiw.

Mike, i understand about the exhaust....you're one of them "purists"     :nana: :lol:   :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 24, 2005, 01:19:08 PM

Mike, i understand about the exhaust....you're one of them "purists"   :nana: :lol:  :cheers:

Ron

Nothin' wrong with that :cheers:

Looks great!  I used Jet-Hot on my manifolds.....after 3 years and 2  months, rust started popping through.
They offer a 3 year free recoat warranty.  They were good enough to grandfather me in for the free recoat.
After 3 years its 1/2 price.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

HeavyFuel

Nice job, Shakey.  Now I'm looking forward to getting mine installed next summer, after the car is bak from body and paint.

I noticed that the clamp on the H is facing up and is kinda close the the U joint.  Is it that close, or just the angle of the photo?  I went with the X, so it isn't really an issue for me.  I suppose a guy could weld that union to get rid of the clamp altogether.  That would give a more factory look, too.