News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SuperBird after market parts

Started by dads_69, August 29, 2008, 12:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dads_69

In reference to SuperBird parts, how are they compared to Daytona clone parts? Fitments and structure build? I realize I'll have to mod certain items to fit and flat out make my own at times. But any info. helpful right now also. Rear window set up is my first need part soon.
Janek the best buy vs. Wing Car Fab?

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

hotrod98

According to one of the wing car builders, if you're going to install a vinyl top, the fiberglass plug works fine. You just have to weld in a bracket for it to sit on for strength. The vinyl top will be covering it so you don't have to worry about cracks showing up in the paint where the plug meets the window opening.
You can make your own moldings from two sets of other moldings. I'll have to look at my notes to see which ones.
My problem is my wife's doesn't want a vinyl top on her bird clone so I almost have to go with the steel version and they're very pricey. I've considered making a steel version using Janak's fiberglass plug as a template. I may even make it to the dimensions of a cuda back glass since they're fairly cheap. The bird glass is over $900 plus shipping now. Seems like the cuda glass is around $200 to $250. I have one here to use for the dimensions but it's the glass for my other 71 Cuda so I can't use it on the bird.
No one is making the diamonds that go at the bottom of the plug in anything other than fiberglass as far as I know. If I could find a set to borrow, I've thought about seeing if my friend could make them on his mill. The left side and right side originals are not true reverse parts. Their dimesnions are different.
I've been so busy with the daytona that I haven't had time to think about the bird clone much.
As far as quality, I love the bird nose that I just bought from Dayclona. It's so much beefier than any of the other noses that I have sitting around here.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

dads_69

Thanks for the info. Larry. I wanted to install a vinyl top, but unless someone between now and approx. two years repo's them, I'll have a hard top one color car. Same price I got from glass shop here this week. $845.00 plus $250.00 for shipping for rear glass w/a 3 week delivery time frame. Coming from Pennsylvania gees, the east coast everything!
Not having the plug is what I'm holding out for right now. The wing and nose cone also. The car is an org. Roadrunner gutted now, I bought a Coronet front clip for the build immediately.
I liked my Daytona clone,no nose or head light buckets, but after 5 years and not having it done, I got pissed off one day and sold it to a friend who later sold it to an un-known.
I'll be contacting Janek later this year then. I thought Dayclona was done building parts?

Thanks again.....Mark

hotrod98

Mike is still building parts. As far as I can tell, he basically builds the parts as they're ordered for the most part. In other words, no big inventories. I'm sure that it would be far too much of an investment to have parts stored with the cost of building space nowadays. There are probably some parts that he would make in quantity to keep the price down. Mike now owns Dayclona 100% and his prices are much better. Long story there. Not my place to tell the story if you know what I mean.

As for the vinyl top, can't you just buy the amount of vinyl top material needed for the job and have a good top shop cut and install it?

Contact Mike and price the parts from him before making a decision. I've been very impressed with his parts. I have parts in my shop made by several different suppliers and I'm starting to be able to tell who's parts are who's just by looking at them. There's that much difference in quality.
I'll be the first to mention good quality in parts, but I won't discuss the poor quality of anyone's parts.

I haven't even finished the daytona clone and I'm already building my wife's superbird clone in my head.

Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

I got my Daytona rear window from Iowa Glass... a couple of years ago. When I did a search for them just now I came up with this:  http://www.iowaglass.com/  I believe their supplier is this place:  http://www.oemglass.net/

I paid at the time $675, shipping to the local warehouse was included. I just had to drive across the river to St. Louis to pick it up. They said they had warehouses all over the country.  I think the superbird windows were the same price or slightly ( $50  :shruggy: ) higher at the time...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30627.0.html   :shruggy:

dads_69

Thanks for the extra info. I'll contact them next week about glass. Does anyone know of a SuperBird clone thats being built or done now to view besides Stuarts? Larry, I hear ya' man, I've already built my Bird clone in my head as well. I'm really leaning towards a black car this time. White int. and black vinyl top, as long as I can get trim pieces, which by the time I get around to that part of my build, they will be.
What really made me build a bird this time is easy, the big ass lettering on the quarter panels *PLYMOUTH* and I really have never seen a bird clone until Stuarts and Marty's.

Mark

oldcarnut

There was another glass place Auto City Classic http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,45657.msg499288/topicseen.html#msg499288  There is also some moulding info. in the thread. I don't know if the prices are still good or not.
David

hotrod98

Mike at BEA is supposed to repro the superbird back glass moldings.
Price will be around $1200 for the set.
Limited production. One time only.
And, I think several of the sets are already spoken for.

The only bird that I know of being built right now is the Goldberg Nascar bird that's going to be auctioned off at B-J and the money goes to the Darrell Gwynn Foundation.

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: hotrod98 on August 30, 2008, 01:12:17 PM
Mike at BEA is supposed to repro the superbird back glass moldings.
Price will be around $1200 for the set.
Limited production. One time only.
And, I think several of the sets are already spoken for.

The only bird that I know of being built right now is the Goldberg Nascar bird that's going to be auctioned off at B-J and the money goes to the Darrell Gwynn Foundation.
there is a yellow bird in town here that is a clone that was just finished up about a year ago . I dont know the guy but have seen the car a couple of times . It looks really nice .!!!  janek stuff on it i think .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

billssuperbird

dads_69

Cool, what parts did you use for your build? Is your back window standard or S/B style w/no vinyl top due to trim not being ready available?

Mark