News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valleypan-paper

Started by Belgium R/T -68, August 13, 2008, 11:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Are the papergaskets for intakemanifolds supposed to be used on both sides of the valleypan or only towards the head? Setup is castiron heads and intake.
Is it the same priciple when using aluheads/intake manifold?

//Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

GreenMachine

As far as I know, the factory didn't use paper, only the valley pan itself. I have only used them in the past as shims if it helped line up the boltholes better.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

aifilaw

It really depends on how much the block has been decked and your intake and heads.

last one I did on my own car, I used no gaskets and just RTV becaues of the clearance.

one before that on someone else's the block had been decked and very little off the heads, so I used a gasket between the valley pan and the intake only and silicone.

the one three or four before that I used a gasket on both sides because that's what was required since it was mostly virgin.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

John_Kunkel

If the valley pan is supplied with two thin paper gaskets for each side (total 4) it is intended for use with aluminum manifolds. For iron manifolds the metal pan is all that's needed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Belgium R/T -68

OK  :2thumbs: Does the papergasket has a positive effect on oil leaking throug the intake manifolds bolts? Had that on some cars.

//Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Mike DC

Not sure about the oil leakage problem.  My own car didn't seem to suffer from that regardless of the manifold setup.

As for the aluminum/iron intake issue, remember the long term effects of aluminum & iron/steel being butted against each other.  Corrosion.  That reason alone is worth using some kind of gasket with aluminum heads. 

One time a shop guy suggested that I should put together my old 383 motor WITHOUT a valley pan, and just use the gaskets alone for optimal sealing.   

Umm . . .  no.     

aifilaw

some people have spent too much time around SB chevy's...
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads