News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake Booster vacuum

Started by SpudRacer, August 12, 2008, 12:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpudRacer

I need help with my brakes.  I have a 69 R/T SE with factory front discs.  Originally the car had terrible brakes and I had to mash HARD to get the car to stop.  After some searching, I found a (plastic?) vaccum connector broken on the vacuum booster.  If memory serves, it was a plastic connector with a fitting for a vacuum line, and another port which was broken off.  I couldn't find what had broken off, so I screwed a screw into the hole with some sealer on it to stop the vacuum leak.  Since then, my brakes work TOO WELL!  Even the lightest pressure and the front brakes want to lock up.  I can't seem to find a good picture on line of a factory 69 brake booster for front discs and rear drums to see what is missing.

I was just on line at Year One, and found a part called "Disc Brake Hold-Off Valve".  I can't wait to get home to see if I have one of these.  Could this be what broke?  I would assume this would be a part connected to the brake lines coming off the bottom of the reservoir as its function (per Year One description) is to hold off application of the front brakes allowing the rears to start applying first.  Won't know till I get home.  Anyone know what this Hold-off valve is?  Is it standard, was it an option I never hearsd about?  I bet one of you genious's out there knows what this is...

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise

Mopar2Ya

I've always called that a check valve. It's vital to have in case your car stalls, to maintain vacuum so you'll have brakes. I don't know what to tell you about how the brakes work, my stock drums also worked very well(would lock up easily).

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

SpudRacer

Thanks for the help.  I've been researching quite a bit today, and found out it is indeed the check valve.  Where to find one is the problem now..

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise