News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 Dodge Motorhome Drivetrain Question

Started by 69DodgeCharger, August 09, 2008, 12:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69DodgeCharger

I have a chance to pick up a 360/727 combo out of a 71 Champion motorhome. Motor runs excellent and trans shifts great. Here are my questions. Is the 71 360 block worth anymore than any other 360? and what would it take to convert the shortshaft transmission for use in a 68 Valiant. The transmission has what I think is the emergency brake right on the end of it. Thanks in advance for any ifo.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

RD

Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on August 09, 2008, 12:27:15 PM
I have a chance to pick up a 360/727 combo out of a 71 Champion motorhome. Motor runs excellent and trans shifts great. Here are my questions. Is the 71 360 block worth anymore than any other 360? and what would it take to convert the shortshaft transmission for use in a 68 Valiant. The transmission has what I think is the emergency brake right on the end of it. Thanks in advance for any ifo.

well, it would not take much really, but you would need a longer driveshaft, and if you dont mind having that parking brake drum there, make sure it clears the tunnel.  there may be an issue with the trans crossmember tranny mount that could play real havoc methinks, but then again, i am speculating as i have not worked on a RV/Motorhome with a mopar in it.

really, it would be much easier just to find another trans (a 904 or SB 727) and just put it in.  If your valiant had a 904 in it originally, and you want a 727, you can get your driveshaft resized by shortening it 4 1/8" as 727's are 4 1/8" longer than 904's.

A 904 can more than handle a motorhome 360 though, so going with that would just make your life that much easier.

hope it helps.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

69DodgeCharger

Quote from: RD on August 09, 2008, 02:17:43 PM
Quote from: 69DodgeCharger on August 09, 2008, 12:27:15 PM

well, it would not take much really, but you would need a longer driveshaft, and if you dont mind having that parking brake drum there, make sure it clears the tunnel.  there may be an issue with the trans crossmember tranny mount that could play real havoc methinks, but then again, i am speculating as i have not worked on a RV/Motorhome with a mopar in it.

really, it would be much easier just to find another trans (a 904 or SB 727) and just put it in.  If your valiant had a 904 in it originally, and you want a 727, you can get your driveshaft resized by shortening it 4 1/8" as 727's are 4 1/8" longer than 904's.

A 904 can more than handle a motorhome 360 though, so going with that would just make your life that much easier.

hope it helps.

Thanks RD,

The problem with finding another one is....there aren't any to be found! The scrappers here have been cleaning up and grabbing anything that even remotely resembles metal up around here for a good year or two now and you can't find an old Mopar to save your life. There are some older Dodge trucks around on occasion. But people want "gold" for them because of the scrap craze going on up here.

craigandlynda

not sure if i remember this right, but the 360 motorhome motor has extra cooling passages, i believe in the heads, or maybe the block...someone in here will remember...as far as value, no real difference...as far as the tranny, you are better off just using the valiant 904...howver, remeber that the 360 has to have a special balanced flywheel/ torque converter...SAVE the one from the motor home setup, in case you can use it with another tranny... :Twocents: :Twocents:

RD

Quote from: craigandlynda on August 13, 2008, 06:49:01 PM
remeber that the 360 has to have a special balanced flywheel/ torque converter...SAVE the one from the motor home setup, in case you can use it with another tranny... :Twocents: :Twocents:

true, but if the motorhome is a SB 727 and you use a 904, you cannot use the same torque converter (two different size input shafts).
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Mr_fixit

You'd need someone to swap the tail shafts from another 727. I paid a trans guy $100 to do that in a new 727 truck trans I had.. If they're doing that , you might as well get it rebuilt.  or save it for someone who would rebuild it

69DodgeCharger

Ok here's a question Can the 727 out of the motorhome be converted by using the tail end of the junk 904 currently in the car? I.E. the output shat and tailshaft from the 904 onto the short case 727? chances of finding either of these tranny's around here is next to nothing.