News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 RT vn tag on Ebay...Number for Chris

Started by y3chargerrt, August 03, 2008, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenpigs

That seems like a high number, wonder if that is towards the end of production?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

69_500

Not a real high number though. Still about 85,000 before the end of production.

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Drache

Quote from: CB on August 03, 2008, 01:58:09 PM
isn't this illegal?? :RantExplode:
CB

Technically only if you put it onto another car... there are some people who collect and trade these like hockey/baseball cards....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

CB

Quote from: Drache on August 03, 2008, 02:12:16 PM
Quote from: CB on August 03, 2008, 01:58:09 PM
isn't this illegal?? :RantExplode:
CB

Technically only if you put it onto another car... there are some people who collect and trade these like hockey/baseball cards....

and pay hundreds of dollars for it??  :scratchchin:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

69bronzeT5

I've seen Superbird, Challenger T/A and Hemi Cuda tags sell on Ebay for $400+. The first thing I think is there's no way somebody is paying that much for a collectible.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Drache

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on August 03, 2008, 03:40:15 PM
I've seen Superbird, Challenger T/A and Hemi Cuda tags sell on Ebay for $400+. The first thing I think is there's no way somebody is paying that much for a collectible.

Thus why we keep track of them  :icon_smile_big:

Granted maybe one of those buyers actually bought their tag for their car back....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

purple70rt

Granted maybe one of those buyers actually bought their tag for their car back....

Exactly!! Or heaven forbid someone actually fixes a car that someone says is unfixable and one of the internet police guys who have nothing better to do than scan ebay and report anything they think it "Wrong" to the registry sites.

I do agree that if a car is actually crushed that the tags and vin's should noted so someone does not get burned, but just assuming that if someone has a tag forsale, that if that car ever shows up it's a rebody is bullshit.  I remember when I was younger getting tags off of cars in the junkyards and keeping as I am sure lots of you here are guilty of, never thinking that one day someone may actually want that trashed 69 Coronet 2 door 440 to fix one day.

Get the lock button ready Troy.......

69_500

No reason to get a lock button ready. Nothing being talked about that is worthy of being locked.

As far as people paying $400 for a piece of metal to be a collectors item isn't out of the question either. I recall seeing people drop $400-800 on some baseball cards over the years as well. Have personally seen people drop $125K on collectors items from the Star Trek series as well. There are people who collect all sorts of things. I have tried in vain to buy at least 5-6 of these dash VIN's that have been on ebay in the past few years, as well as some of the fender tags that have been on there.

Drache

Quote from: purple70rt on August 03, 2008, 04:10:43 PM

Exactly!! Or heaven forbid someone actually fixes a car that someone says is unfixable and one of the internet police guys who have nothing better to do than scan ebay and report anything they think it "Wrong" to the registry sites.

I do agree that if a car is actually crushed that the tags and vin's should noted so someone does not get burned, but just assuming that if someone has a tag forsale, that if that car ever shows up it's a rebody is bullshit.  I remember when I was younger getting tags off of cars in the junkyards and keeping as I am sure lots of you here are guilty of, never thinking that one day someone may actually want that trashed 69 Coronet 2 door 440 to fix one day.

Get the lock button ready Troy.......

Bingo! Now granted there needs to be more to prove the car is a rebody! How about the fendertag? No those are usually the first thing missing. Where else is the vin stamped?

So what happens if a guy has a say a '69 Charger R/T in VERY ROUGH shape in the backyard and it gets stolen. Now he gets the car back but the VIN tag is missing.  Now the car doesn't have the original engine nor tranny, and lets just say that the only vin on that car was on that tag. Now he finds the tag years later for sale on ebay. So someone takes note and lets say 2 years later the car finds its way onto ebay for sale. Who are we to say that car is a rebody or not. This rebodying is a VERY touchy subject....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

CB

for Chris if Ebay should cancel it

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Alaskan_TA

Selling VIN tags is illegal.

Buying them is illegal.

Merely being in possesion of a loose VIN tag is illegal in most states.

As far as this goes;

QuoteSo what happens if a guy has a say a '69 Charger R/T in VERY ROUGH shape in the backyard and it gets stolen. Now he gets the car back but the VIN tag is missing. 

If the car comes back sans VIN tag, then the VIN tag is still considered stolen. If it came up for sale, then the perp is in possesion of stolen property & trying to fence it. If the proper authorities are notified, it could be siezed and make it back to the car it came from after the perps trial.  :Twocents:

CharcoalCharger

Wow.  Well someone is illegally willing to pay $404.99 for a vin tag.  That is just crazy...unbelievable.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks for the heads up fellas!  I caught it a few days ago.

That VIN puts it around a 5/2/69 SPD

Latest VIN I have so far is 488xxx with an SPD of 7/18/69 which is the last day of production AKAIK
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Drache

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 03, 2008, 09:35:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up fellas!  I caught it a few days ago.

That VIN puts it around a 5/2/69 SPD

Latest VIN I have so far is 488xxx with an SPD of 7/18/69 which is the last day of production AKAIK

Would be neat to have the very last Charger off the line for that year!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire