News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much is too much Oil Pressure

Started by R2, July 22, 2008, 08:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R2

This is regarding the Charger,,,,,500 stroker,,,,E heads,,,solid cam,,,,etc,,,,,
upon starting the car,,,oil pressure hits at least the high 80 range,,,maybe a bit more if its cold...........
cruising around town,,,,it will hang in the high 70 range,,,,,
at idle,,,,,foot on brake,,,,i will come down to 40.....

I even changed the oil to 10w30........and it helped some...........

Wondering if this is too much pressure ?

is this ok ?,,,,,,,would a different weight oil help ?
would "shaving" the spring in the oil pump help ?,,,,,

Thanks,
Doug :popcrn:

craigandlynda

hmmmm....i would be sure your sending unit is good, and gauge is reading right....and i don't think i'd worry too much...not sure what would be the worst that could happen....extreme pressue would exit at the weakest place first...maybe force a leak in the sending unit, or expand the can of your oil filter...actually, never saw a problem from too high of a pressure.... :shruggy:

Chryco Psycho

normal pressure for a High pressure pil pump , 175 lbs is too much

Musicman

firefighter3931

I have to agree with the others Doug....not enough pressure to be concerned about.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oldschool

make sure you have the hard tip oil pump drive gear. you dont want it to strip.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

R2

thanks guys,,,,,no worries then,,,,,,i will drive with confidence,,,, :2thumbs:

NYCMille

My car at start up hits 80 and then settles down at cruising to dead-on at 70... at idle it will sit at 65-70. Its been this way for 30 thousand HARD miles...