News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sell 68 RT for 09 RT?

Started by RT DAVE, July 22, 2008, 09:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT DAVE

Man, I'm tempted to sell my charger to get a new 09 RT Chally with the six speed trans.   I don't hardly drive mine and I could actually drive somewhere in safety with my kids in the back.  Man, I feel bad about even thinking about it, but man, am I tempted.  Anybody else here thinking about dumping their old one for a new one?   Keeping both is not an option for me.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

CB

I wouldn't say dumping an old for a new. Letting go is a better word choice, no?

And if you are concerned about your kids and your safety, then I can understand it.

Your kids can't be replaced...
:Twocents:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

hotrod98

I say follow your heart. That Chally will be a lot of fun for you and your kids.

I think that you could find another old mopar later on when you're ready. There's a lot of us baby boomers that are going to be selling our cars in a few more years.

Be sure and list the 68 here on the board first. There are a lot of guys that want one and wouldn't just flip it for a profit.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: RT DAVE on July 22, 2008, 09:03:52 AM
Man, I'm tempted to sell my charger to get a new 09 RT Chally with the six speed trans.   I don't hardly drive mine and I could actually drive somewhere in safety with my kids in the back.  Man, I feel bad about even thinking about it, but man, am I tempted.  Anybody else here thinking about dumping their old one for a new one?   Keeping both is not an option for me.   
I drive everwhere in my old cars with my kids and they are very safe in my big old muscle !  :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Old Moparz

New is nice, so I can understand why you'd want to get the Challenger, but what is it that you feel is unsafe about the old car? I take my daughter out in my '69 Satellite convertible & plan to take her out in the others when I get them running. Have you considered upgrading things on the '68 to modernize it?
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bakerhillpins

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 22, 2008, 09:42:42 AM
I say follow your heart. That Chally will be a lot of fun for you and your kids.

I think that you could find another old mopar later on when you're ready. There's a lot of us baby boomers that are going to be selling our cars in a few more years.

Be sure and list the 68 here on the board first. There are a lot of guys that want one and wouldn't just flip it for a profit.

:iagree:  If you can make a change that gives you more time with your kids.... Go for it!  :2thumbs:

Oh, and speaking as one of the guys that hopes to find a car from the board I second the listing it here first. I just wish I could afford it right now. :'(

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Old Moparz on July 22, 2008, 10:04:51 AM

New is nice, so I can understand why you'd want to get the Challenger, but what is it that you feel is unsafe about the old car? I take my daughter out in my '69 Satellite convertible & plan to take her out in the others when I get them running. Have you considered upgrading things on the '68 to modernize it?

We grew up riding around in the front seat of my Dads roadrunner with no seat belt on and my brother and sister and i survived.  Having an accident is never planned and sure you can get a modern car with more safety features to protect yourselves a little more but when your number is up, your number is up.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Blown70

Having a 2000 T/A convert. with A/C and WS6, I love the newer modern cars and the features and TIRE ripping horse is nice..  However, the is something to be said about the 68 you have.  You will miss it when it's gone. 

It there any way to finance the Chally with out the sale of the Charger? 

You have to do what you want but I dont think I could give up LUCY or TANNA (the trans Am)

Best of luck with your choice.

Tom

gordo1968charger

free advice
keep the charger and stop smoking crack!!!!!
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

RT DAVE

The main reason I am hesitant is that my 68 was my first car.  I've had it since I was 17.  I'm now 33.  That's basically the ONLY reason right now.  That and a 68 charger is more badass than the chally could ever hope to be.  That being said, how badass is it to let a cool car like that just sit in your garage?  I don't drive it more than 200 miles a year.  I think I've put 2000 miles on it the whole time I've owned it...   

-Dave

RT DAVE

Quote from: gordo1968charger on July 22, 2008, 11:02:32 AM
free advice
keep the charger and stop smoking crack!!!!!

Just so you know I didn't mean 09 Charger...  That would never happen.  I already have a charger wagon!

suntech

QuoteThe main reason I am hesitant is that my 68 was my first car.  I've had it since I was 17.  I'm now 33.
Hey buddy................you answered your question right there!!!! Keep the 68!!!!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Charger74

Hey, I've had mine since I was 17 as well.  I'm 37, (wow, that's kind of scary).  I almost sold it, but now it sits in my garage waiting for me to work on it.  Enjoy it, I'm sure your kids will as well.

Kevin68N71

I've put most of the miles on my 70 Corvette with my son in the seat next to me, and he has gone thousands of miles in my 71 Super Bee in the back seat.  Yes, shoulder belts are safer than just lap belts, but the car still is relatively safe with alot of metal for crash protection.

I DRIVE everything!

Now, when I am testing new brakes, or the car is twitchy, the kids stay home.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Alain426

i know this is a hard choice to do, i still wanted a jeep grand cherokee srt8, cause i like to drive all year long with my familly, the challenger is ok, but it can broke anytime

decision decision, now the only thing that make me hesitate is that the grand cherokee is about 35k

but i can understand why you want to change

Joshua

Anybody else here thinking about dumping their old one for a new one?      

No.....I mean hell no.... that's crazy talk.....trading a cool, old car that appreciates in value and can be handed down to my son, for a POS, NEW car, that'll have warranty issues, every Tom, Dick, and Harry will have one, and loses value with age.....

Yeah...it's a no-brainer.... :cheers:

rt green

5 years from now the new chally will be old news. just another check engine light. your 68 cant be replaced, and will be just as cool as today. if you want to spend time with your kids, go camping or something.
third string oil changer

Chris G.

Quote from: rt green on July 22, 2008, 06:56:31 PM
5 years from now the new chally will be old news.

5 Years? Geez, it seemed most were already tired of it after Carlisle. I swear 9 out of 10 people I talked to said they did not like how big it was in person. They also said how bland the sides looked (needed striping). I could care less either way, but it will be fun watching the same crybabies whine about the car they so wanted after the new Chargers HUGE success.

ps- Keep the '68.  :icon_smile_wink:

Mike DC

:Twocents:

Put EFI, overdrive, front discs, and 3-point retractables onto the '68 Charger. 

Problem solved.

If your Charger isn't this nice & reliable already, then it won't sell for near enough to cover the real bill on a new stick-shifted Chally (don't forget about the price of full-coverage insurance on that thing).  Therefore, you'll probably be spending thousands no matter how you stack it.  So I'd put the money into the '68.

G-man

Sell the charger for challenger?

In short... You're mad.

You dont drive the charger, you wont drive the new challenger. If fuel is the issue, spend just a little to get fuel injection and you can drive the charger regularly, re-do the engine also to get the best efficiency and off you go.

You buy that challenger and in 5 years you will lose over 15 000 dollars on its value. Do a fuel injection/motor build on your charger and it wont cost you the amount you will lose buying a new car. Also in 5 years it will be worth even more.

Keep the charger.

68charger383

The Chally is new and still not a car you see in traffic everyday yet. Once these cars start popping up all over the place, your thoughts on the car may change. Sometimes I see a new car and get into the "I'm going to get one" only to say to myself a few months later...what was I thinking. Give it some time before making a decision.  :Twocents:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

TheGhost

I'd keep the 68.

That being said, I'm selling my Fury as soon as I replace the alternator, and plan on selling the Barracuda in a couple years for a new Challenger.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

GT

Keep the 68.  Hold out for a year or two and the new ones will drop in price - get a 2 yr old one for 1/3 the price and enjoy!
I've had my 70 since I was 15 (I've owned it 30 yrs now).   I had it all but sold about 20 yrs ago - even took a deposit on it.  I was sick to my stomach for 2 days hoping I could back out of the deal and praying about it.  The guy never showed up, never called, never came to get his deposit money back.  I took that as a sign and have hung onto my first car.  I will never sell it.  heck - my kids fight over who will get when I kick the bucket and the thing is currently in pieces!

You will reget selling your 68.
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

bull

Quote from: GT on July 23, 2008, 02:26:40 AM
Keep the 68.  Hold out for a year or two and the new ones will drop in price - get a 2 yr old one for 1/3 the price and enjoy!

:iagree: I wouldn't do anything right now. The ones I've seen selling here locally are selling for almost twice what the MSRP is. Wait until all the hype blows over and the prices go down and see what kind of problems surface with the Challenger before you sell a 68 Charger to buy one. I wouldn't buy the first run of anything but that's just me.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: suntech on July 22, 2008, 12:04:13 PM
QuoteThe main reason I am hesitant is that my 68 was my first car.  I've had it since I was 17.  I'm now 33.
Hey buddy................you answered your question right there!!!! Keep the 68!!!!
The thrill for the new car will wither to nothing in a few years.  You already are very unusual to have your first car, and for it to be a 68 Charger.  This is the time in your life the Charger means little to you, but throw on a few more years and it will swing around to being your prised possesion and you'll have many loving decades to be the proud owner of it.  The new car feeling will pass.  Been there done that.   I was going for the Challenger or Camaro, and then thought about tax's and how the value goes down, and what it would cost,and would I really use it or treat it like a collector car, and now I have the 69 RT with no regrets and I enjoy waving to people as I drive it and watch the popularity and value climb day by day.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.