News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proform 950 Race Carb Owners...does your stock air cleaner stud fit???

Started by Mfr426, July 21, 2008, 08:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hey all, having some trouble with my new Proform 950 CFM race carb. I have the stock double threaded stud that fits all of my other carbs but it does not thread into the new carb? I slide the stud in and it feels like it wants to grab but does not? I even bought a new on at Carlisle with the same results. I do see threads all the way at the top of the hole that look like it could be for a cleaner stud but thought that it should work with a stock stud?

Anyone else run into this issue? Right now my cleaner is just sitting on top and I'm hoping it does not fall off.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike R 69 SE RT 505...

Chryco Psycho

I have no issues with using 5/16 studs in them , I would just thread a tap into the top of the carb to clean the threads up

Mfr426

Neil, thanks for the response. Are you talking about using the very top threads instead of the ones that sit below deep in carb like all other carbs?

Mike

Charger-Bodie

I think you may have gotten a carb with a bad hole........I have the same carb and my air cleaner stud worked fine.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mick70RR

What thread is your air cleaner stud? It needs to be 5/16" unc for the Proform, some carbs use a 1/4" unc.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Mfr426

Are you guys using the hole and threads at the very top of the carb? My stud is about 4-5" long but I'm going all the way down inside the carb. Should I be using the 5/16 thread at the top with a much shorter stud? Does anyone make it? I did not get ANY with the carb.

Mick70RR

I tried to use the 1/4" stud off my Edelbrock carb with no luck, I think it's a 5/16" thread all the way down on the Proform.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Mfr426

That could be it. Is that 5/16th stud an odd one? The ones I saw at the show were all the same as my stock skinnier one.

Chryco Psycho

virtually all carbs use a 1/4 " stud , Proform & Demon use the larger 5/16 ", just by a length of threaded rod @ a hardware store & cut to length

Mfr426

Thanks Neil, that would explain things. The stud/rod threads into the top hole (that you can see the threads when you look at the top of the carb)?

Mike

Charger-Bodie

Not sure what the deal is here,but my Proform 950 has a 1/4 hole and the stud screwed right in. No problem! I even just went and poped my air cleaner off to be sure.  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Mfr426

Hey 1hot68, is that a 950 Race carb? Not sure if they make a non-race but I have a race unit.

When I put my stock stud in from my eddy carb that I had on the car it seems to want to thread but it just cant quite grab hold. I think the threads  may be slightly buggered up? The larger, top threads appear fine but are for the 5/16 that Neil is referring to?

Now I'm really confused... :eek2:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Mfr426 on July 24, 2008, 10:59:25 AM
Hey 1hot68, is that a 950 Race carb? Not sure if they make a non-race but I have a race unit.

When I put my stock stud in from my eddy carb that I had on the car it seems to want to thread but it just cant quite grab hold. I think the threads  may be slightly buggered up? The larger, top threads appear fine but are for the 5/16 that Neil is referring to?

Yes, Race carb.

maybe you could run a 1/4 tap down the lower hole? With the carb off so you don't get any filings in the gine.  :shruggy:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 1hot68 on July 24, 2008, 01:00:50 PM
Quote from: Mfr426 on July 24, 2008, 10:59:25 AM

Yes, Race carb.

maybe you could run a 1/4 tap down the lower hole? With the carb off so you don't get any filings in the gine.  :shruggy:

:iagree: Pull the carb and run a tap down the hole to clean up the threads.   :yesnod:

Mike, i don't have the PF 950 but the threaded hole on my PF 750 mainbody is 5/16  :scope:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mfr426

Looks like I'll be pulling the carb off again.  :RantExplode:

Thanks all. I'll keep you posted.

charger2fast4u

i have a brand new proform 750 race carb it has a 5/16-18 thread hole. i wonder why its giving you such a problem?

john108

I have a new Proform 950 still in the Box.  The thread is 5/16-18

Mfr426

Hey guys, I think I need some more claification on this. For those of you that are using the 5/16 are you threading that in at teh top threads or way down in the carb like "normal"?

john108

I only had a 1 inch long bolt to check it with.  I screwed it in i inch.

Chryco Psycho

Mfr426

OK folks, perhaps these pics will help. I have been using the air cleaner stud below but it sounds like I need a short 5/16 stud (like an inch or 2 vs. the 4-5" one pictured). The long one pictured is what I've been using for all my other carbs (like my Eddy 625cfm).

Can you guys confirm that you are threading into the threads at the arrow on the Proform? Thanks again for the help.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mfr426 on July 25, 2008, 07:49:14 AM

Can you guys confirm that you are threading into the threads at the arrow on the Proform? Thanks again for the help.

Mike,

Yep, use a shorter 5/16 stud and lock it down to the main body with a nut to keep it in place.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mfr426

Not to beat a dead horse Ron but do you mean right where I put that arrow? Use a nut? How about a wingnut so it looks factory from the top down? Or, are they bad news?  :D

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Mfr426 on July 25, 2008, 10:44:49 AM
Not to beat a dead horse Ron but do you mean right where I put that arrow? Use a nut? How about a wingnut so it looks factory from the top down? Or, are they bad news?  :D

If youre carb only has 5/16 threads ,Id take a 5/16 bolt , cut the head off , then weld a length of 1/4 rod to it, and then you can use the correct style wingnut.

Just be careful that its not too long and hits the hood!!  :brickwall: Cause that would suck.

Mfr426

Quote from: 1hot68 on July 25, 2008, 10:50:24 AM
Quote from: Mfr426 on July 25, 2008, 10:44:49 AM

If youre carb only has 5/16 threads ,Id take a 5/16 bolt , cut the head off , then weld a length of 1/4 rod to it, and then you can use the correct style wingnut.

Just be careful that its not too long and hits the hood!!  :brickwall: Cause that would suck.

Hey, that's a brilliant idea! Thanks!