News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

European car market for American Muscle cars is going flat...anyone know?

Started by ChargerBill, October 19, 2005, 10:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerBill

I have heard from fellow car club members and even read it in a European car magazine that cars are being EXPORTED back to the U.S. to sell for better money because the American Muscle car market in Europe is flailing. Anyone else hear about this or know differently?
Life is a highway...

blackcrowe

i know that a few hemicars have gone back from here(uk)and a 69.5 roadrunner
i believe a collector has sold most of his back to the states(including hemi wings 500s ebody hemi rags and more!the 1st and last hemicudas,t/a aar survivors)
people over here just will not pay the price for a hemi car and i reckon a few more hemis and 6packs will be heading back aswell in future... sad but true :'(

bull

I don't really understand how the overseas market can fail, per se, unless people overseas are buying them as investments to sell to their own countrymen and it isn't a popular venture. Otherwise it's just a guy who wants a car and buys it for himself. If he decides he doesn't want it and can get more for it here he sells it here.

Ghoste

I don't think the European market has failed.  I think the American market for these cars has been overheated.  I think you'll see it slowing here soon too.

ChargerSG

The cars going back from here is the Hemis or super restord cars(cars for sick money anyway), otherwise the import of cars from the Us have incrested cause the prices here on cars are so expensive....
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Charger_Croatia

Well, I can say few words for my country.
It is amazing how most of the people here are unfamiliar with muscle cars (and history).
I had a lot of questions for my car "What is it...Pontiac, Chevy ,...."   :cussing:
For them my Charger is just another American car and I guess that here almost nobody will pay for HEMI car as much as you can get in the US.
There are people with more than enough money but for some of them "it is old car, you can have brand new well equipped BMW for such money"   :brickwall:

As I said this is situation in Croatia, I'm not suer about the rest.
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

Jon Smith

The top end cars like hemis and wing cars are going back to the states but mopars are getting more popular, its just that many people can only afford the base models or aren't prepared to pay the prices that the most desirable models are bringing

41husk

Is this based on one are two collectors liquidating their collection, are is it a trend were interest is down on muscle cars?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

70charginglizard

Send um back home then. I'm sure there will be plenty of people back over here in America who will be more then happy to give them new homes.
I don't care what the market does in Europe or America.
I've got my CLASSIC dodge charger and I'm happy with it regardless.
70charginglizard

BigBlockSam

i see it beginning here to, it always happens like this.   if history repeats its self   and it does. just follow the housing market and you'll see how the mucle car market is going. the market has peeked, it can only go one way , down but thats alright. you just have to hang on to your stuff for a while, maybe 10 yrs and it'll go up again. i've been folowing superbird prices. cause i want one. they've leveled off . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

six-tee-nine

Then I'm missing sqomething over here because here in Belgium (= in between of France and Holland) and the other western Eropean region prices aren't going anywhere but UP...

People are paying up to â,¬ 15.000 (almost $ 18.000) for a '68 / '69 Charger wich is still ok to drive and doesn't look to rusty but still they need restoration after a while.

Most true Mopar freaks over here just know that buying in the states + shipping costs to Europe is still cheaper then buying a musclecar over here.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Jon Smith

Interest isn't going down its going up, but people with the high end cars are realising how much they can get for them over there, most of the new people buying the cars just want a charger or challenger or whatever and dont really care if its the top model, well not enough to pay top money anyway

Doc74

In a way it is yes. The business guys aren't doing very well with 11mpg cars at + $6 a gallon, they're getting harder to sell, especially since they're mostly overpriced, so it's going down.
But not with the private owners who buy them without any third party.
Some might be reluctant to get a classic since it will cost a bundle on the European streets but I don't think it's anything more than another temporary setback.
The future concerning classic and driving them is very uncertain but it's history repeating itself once again. It may get worse before it gets better but it will get better.
People all over the world have a thing for US classics, they might not all be the best cars around but they sure have tons of character and style.
Just like the Italians, the cars are mostly crap but everyone wants a ferrari somehow  :icon_smile_big:
I doubt that many can sell a US classic back to the states, I don't see how you'd make a profit that way.
I can buy any $5k 2nd gen in the US and sell it here for double or more, before it arrives even.Unless someone here has a hemi car or similar, I don't know if many people here really would pay all that for one, they'd be happy to have a stock charger/challenger/mustang or whatever.
I'm with lizard on this one, I got mine, I'm happy .

CB

Yea, I second that.

On the other hand, I would sell my 69 right now if some one walks up and hands over the cash.

Maybe it is because I feel a bit depressed lately. 
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

hotrod98

Most of the car lots here that specialize in muscle cars are selling them to people in other countries. Many are going to australia, new zealand, and northern european countries. One guy is shipping every muscle car that he can find to a dealer somewhere in Australia. If the price is right, I may let a few of mine go. The 69 charger and the 71 cuda stay though.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

JimShine

Americans are paying more for collectables now. In the guitar world, the Japanese were buying up our vintage guitars as fast as they could buy them. They rarely ever dickered and were happy to pay full price. Thousands were pumped out over the 80's and 90's. Now many are coming back as they are able to sell them back as domestic values have risen so much they can sell them back and make a big profit. Collectables of all types are getting big money these days.

BigBlockSam

i sell guitar stuff on ebay. out of the last 5 i sold only one was domestic.plus the euro is worth more than the dollar.  Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

six-tee-nine

Quote from: CB on October 20, 2005, 01:41:59 PM
Yea, I second that.

On the other hand, I would sell my 69 right now if some one walks up and hands over the cash.

Maybe it is because I feel a bit depressed lately.  

What you're asking??? still that 12.000 Euro's you asked a while ago......
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

JimShine

Where have you been shipping to? I have been sending more stuff to the Europe and Austrailia than japan these days, and most of that is just run of the mill stuff that costs them more over there than here. The stuff I am talking about is the real collectable guitars. Go to the Philly or Texas show and you see the 'bursts, custom color 60's Firebirds, and 50's Strats brought in from Asia and sold back to the US.

LivedodgeItaly

.......uhm uhm uhm CB tempting me!!!!!!  :icon_smile_evil:
...ferrari...expancive ..but no crap!!!
...prices going down??? :devil: Im dying for it!!! when when when...!

Andrea

CNH 320

Well.. over here in the Netherlands (Holland) there just a few Chargers. They’re divided into two categories. The A+ cars and the “wrecks-that-just-can-be-driven-on-the-Dutch-road” cars

Over the last few months, many of the Charger owners (especially ’69) are selling there cars.. for about 10 or 20K.   ???

There’s not really an explanation for that. In a time span of about a month or 2/3, I have seen a particular Charger pop-up for sale 4 times..!   :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger_Croatia

I think that Doc74 put it much better that myself, that's situation here.
And I'm with Lizard too.

Oh, BTW this one is for Andrea: Ferrari is not that bad except electrics and electronics which is crap (confirmed by a friend who worked in service).  :shruggy:
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

bull

Quote from: Charger_Croatia on October 20, 2005, 06:13:59 AM
Well, I can say few words for my country.
It is amazing how most of the people here are unfamiliar with muscle cars (and history).
I had a lot of questions for my car "What is it...Pontiac, Chevy ,...."     :cussing:
For them my Charger is just another American car and I guess that here almost nobody will pay for HEMI car as much as you can get in the US.
There are people with more than enough money but for some of them "it is old car, you can have brand new well equipped BMW for such money"     :brickwall:

As I said this is situation in Croatia, I'm not suer about the rest.

Funny how similar your observation is to my own about people here in the US where they actually made these cars. I had a 50-something year old coworker come over to my house and he looked right at my Charger from two feet away and called it a GTO. Unless a person really cares about this stuff and falls in love with the cars they typically have no clue, no matter what their nationality.

sean68charger

mopar muscle cars in britain are going up in price drasticaly not down at all, especialy big blocks even with petrol at  £1 a litre($8.20 a gallon)
realy all classic american vehicles seem to be increasing in value fast but mopars seem to be going up hell of a lot more
68 Charger 440 R/T<br />Burnout Bandit!!!