News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

354 hemi worth picking up?

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, October 19, 2005, 06:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

in my local buy and sell there is a 354 hemi for sale for $50 is it worth picking up or what?-MATT

hotrod98

Most defiinitely. The old hemis are getting more popular since there are companies building more parts for them than ever. I can't remember for sure, but I think the 354 is the one that shares some parts with the 392. I gave away a truck load of 354 and 392 stuff back in the eighties because no one was making parts for them.
Either way, you can't go wrong as long as the block is okay.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

cudaken

For $50.00 and you got room for it sit I would guess so. But as far as using in a B-body, cost of part's to make it fit would be out of the butt.

Cuda Ken
I am back

hotrod98

The street rod guys are using them a lot. 
For $50 if it's complete with valve covers, it makes for a hell of a conversation piece.
They look kind of impressive just sitting on an engine stand.  :)

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BB1

Vrooom Vroooom  ;)
Delete my profile

Old Moparz

There's some old Hemi's that have the bell housing cast into the block, & those are the ones that nobody wants. (Not sure about the 354) The 392 is the most sought after since they are without bell housings. Make sure it isn't one of them before you end up with a $50 boat anchor you'll trip over for a long time.

There's a Hemi ID page on this site:
http://www.earlyhemiengineparts.com/indexframeset.html

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

41husk

Yes the ones with the fluid drive tranny had a bell housing cast on the block, and is pretty much worthless inless you are going to use the fluid drive tranny, but for $50 the heads and valvve covers are worth that.  I wish I had saved those valve covers to hang in the garage.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

RD

can you not cut that bellhousing off and machine the block for use with other tranny's?  I know it would be expensive, but is it possible without damaging the block?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Old Moparz on October 19, 2005, 09:14:51 AM
There's some old Hemi's that have the bell housing cast into the block, & those are the ones that nobody wants. (Not sure about the 354) The 392 is the most sought after since they are without bell housings. Make sure it isn't one of them before you end up with a $50 boat anchor you'll trip over for a long time.

There's a Hemi ID page on this site:
http://www.earlyhemiengineparts.com/indexframeset.html

The Dodge truck and old Mopar car and street rod guys all are interested in the old Hemi's. Theres no big interest in the old Hemi's in the muscle car world.

Todd

cudaken

I think you can cut the bell housing off the back. But the total cost could be mind bending. God, some 25 years ago I helped a friend drop a 392 Hemi into a 70 Charger R/T. Back then the headers cost $800.00? Makes TTI seem cheap. ;D

May be lower now, but then again?

Cuda Ken
I am back

ChargerBill

I would get it if it's the one without the bell housing. And even if it is, like already said, the valve covers and heads are worth the $50. Heck, I'd love to have a 354 or 392 Hemi just because... :icon_smile:
Life is a highway...