News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Could I have a few opinions on my cars value please.

Started by myrtle, July 07, 2008, 12:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myrtle

Hello everyone, I have recently entertained the idea of selling my 1969 Dodge Charger R/T and I was curious if I could get some imput as to what to ask for it.

The car was numbers matching until I blew the auto tranny (which I still have) and I also still have the running #'s matchng 440.  I bought the car off of the original owner, who is still alive and quite the handfull.  I have a mint condition build sheet as well as original bill of sale from 68 and a ton of insurance cards throughout the 70's and 80's

It had a shatty paint job back in the 80 so some of the B7 paint/overspray is going away, as well as the typical rust sport behind the tires in the lower rear quarter panels.

The day I bought her from the original owner

Originla Bill of Sale, reciept fromt he Dealer, most insurance cards issued to the Charger frm OCT "68" to Now, Plus mint Condition build sheet

After a complete weekend of Detailing

Where the car sat for sooooo many years

The Original Owners and I

Feel free to ask any specific questions, Im just looking for a good deposit on a house I would really like to get.
THE REAL FAST AND THE REAL FURIOUS

G-man

Not worth anything. I will take it off your hands.  :icon_smile_big:

Honestly im not sure but from what I have seen R/T cars selling for... 35 000+

:shruggy:

Why sell it???

Big Lebowski

Perfect wheels. :2thumbs: Try E bay w/ reserve of around 45-55k
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

myrtle

Well In all honesty, I bought the car when I had alot of time on my hands (just got back from Iraq, injured and wasnt sure what direction I was going in life) Well since then I have completed college and landed a good job with the government. I live what seems to be transitioning into a retirement community. A few country clubs will be going up around the lakes, not to mention a new hospital and other economy stimulation corporations. I feel that investing in a house now will offer a HUDGE return 2-3 years from now when I decide to go to law schools (Im currently 26)

The house Im looking at is a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom with a 3 car garage. The 3rd garage bay was replace with french doors into what seems to be the first steps into turning one of the bays into a guest gouse/loft. The main house was built in such a way ideal for a master bathroom adjactent to the masterbedroom. The basement is also a few K away from being the 4th room. All it needs is an evacuation window.

I think I can get this for 180K

Just 6T9 CHGR

Well the Charger would definitely be a down payment on the house buuutttt after reading your registration story you provided me back in 2005, it would be a real tough call.
An excerpt form that story.......
QuoteYou go out, ANYWHERE IN THIS WHOLE COUNTRY and find me a 1 owner 1969 Dodge
Charger R/T #s Matching in this good of shape, that has the documentaion
(original noterized bill of sale, 75% of insurance cards from 1968-current,
original licence plate with stickers from 69-81 stamped all over, and most
important of all, , ,and Know it was a ONE OWNER CAR AND IT BELONGED TO A
LITTLE LADY NAME MYRTLE. .
That my Friends is Priceless

Honestly though, you're a young & promising prospect in any field you choose....if your credit is good & with your military background, I'm sure you can get any loan amount you desire.....pay off that house a little at a time like we all do.   Save one of those 3 garage bays for the Charger....you won't regret it....
:Twocents:

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

I ran across your ad on the Seattle craigslist last night at work. It sounds to me as if it needs some work but maybe not a total restoration, but then that depends on the perspective of the buyer I guess. According to your ad it needs some rust repair, some interior work and a paint job and to do that right will cost a pretty penny, upwards of $15k or so. The one-owner bit is worth something but not necessarily a whole lot. Again it depends on the buyer. If I had to choose between a one-owner car in need of restoration and a 35-owner car that's been restored for the same price my pocketbook and logic says buy the one that's done.

That said, I'd say it's still probably in the $25k-$35k range.

gordo1968charger

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 07, 2008, 07:00:17 AM
Well the Charger would definitely be a down payment on the house buuutttt after reading your registration story you provided me back in 2005, it would be a real tough call.
An excerpt form that story.......
QuoteYou go out, ANYWHERE IN THIS WHOLE COUNTRY and find me a 1 owner 1969 Dodge
Charger R/T #s Matching in this good of shape, that has the documentaion
(original noterized bill of sale, 75% of insurance cards from 1968-current,
original licence plate with stickers from 69-81 stamped all over, and most
important of all, , ,and Know it was a ONE OWNER CAR AND IT BELONGED TO A
LITTLE LADY NAME MYRTLE. .
That my Friends is Priceless

Honestly though, you're a young & promising prospect in any field you choose....if your credit is good & with your military background, I'm sure you can get any loan amount you desire.....pay off that house a little at a time like we all do.   Save one of those 3 garage bays for the Charger....you won't regret it....
:Twocents:

i agree,do nt let something you ve always wanted slip through your fingers,in another couple of years you wo nt be able to afford a charger,
as i tell my wife,you can sleep in your car but you can t race your house.
i bought mine for 10k uk pounds in 2004,same car,same condition now is closer to 15k uk pounds.
if i d listened to my wife(wait til you ve saved all the money) i probably would never have been able to afford one at the current prices.
MINE IS NEVER FOR SALE!
KEEP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Blown70

I ran accross this tread guess WHAT I SOLD my 69 R/T SE, R6 red, black top, stripe and int. to buy my house.  NOT ONE DAY GOES BY that I wish I would have KEPT THE CAR........

Charger4404spd owns the car now on this site or hope he still does.

MY ADVICE, you will NOT find a car like that one again..... beg borrow or steal  BUT DO NOT SELL YOUR CAR!!!

Tom

PocketThunder

So lets say you want to buy a house at $180,000.  Assuming you already have 20% down of $36,000 your loan amount financed is $144,000 and your prinicple only payment is $844 at 6.2%.  If you have no money down and your Charger is your down payment, you can keep the Charger and finance 100% of the loan of $180,000 and your payment is $1,102 + mortgage insurance of probably $100 so about $1,200 a month.
So in comparison you are spending an extra $356 a month for 30 years to keep your Charger.  Now, i am normally with these other guys, but $356 a month for 30 years is a lot of money.  But, you mention that this house will be an investment that you will turn around and sell in a few years, so i would keep the Charger and take the risk of making money on the house in a few years.  If you dont sell the house then at least you still have your Charger to take out once in a while.

PT
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

G-man

My advice...

Keep the car. There is many other ways to earn money but there isnt a way to rebuy a 1 owner car later in life.

I been in a situation where we lost our houses and had to move out to the country where its cheap (though I would never go back to city now). The Car is the only thing that never lost. Ofcourse being in this situation I have to sell my 1970 Dodge Challenger 383/auto matchign numbers car. It was in a barn for 18 years and I picked it up (before all the problems and when prices were high  - august 2005) Neways, I must sell it to fund college, there is no way I can keep it. However, i found a replacement for it which cost alot LESS dollars and is drivable already. I was looking for another 70 CHallenger to replace my 70 challenger (which i still havent had a chance to drive as its still not completed) for a lot less money to somehow have a car + college. Anyways I always wanted a manual car as until today (age 25) I never had a manual car. My 1st car was a 1987 Trans Am GTA 308ci with a 4 speed auto, next was a 72 valiant charger 3 speed console shift auto, next was a 70 challenger 3 speed slap stick. So i ended up running into (through the hell of dodge charger people) a 4 speed!!!!!! (YES A 4 speed) 383ci 1968 Dodge Charger for 20 000. I always had a soft spot for chargers so the fact it had a manual gearbox in it made me replace the challenger with a charger. Grew up on dukes of hazard since I was 6 so i guess I couldnt trully get away from it.  :icon_smile_big:

Now down here In australia im likely to get 60 000+ for the restored 1970 Dodge Challenger (ofcourse about that amount went into it) and hence I couldnt keep it and college. The chargers set me back 30 000. Which means sell challenger, 30 goes for car 30 goes for college. Now im able to have a car (with a manual which saves me 6000 converting it over from auto).

What im saying is, things can happen this and that but if u stick through the problems, theres no need to sell the car. Especially with your qualifications... moneys money, u only live in 1 house. Personally i dont care for investment properties. I can only live in 1 house so thats all I want. But the car is something you can enjoy. Make enough money to live, forget grabbing more $$$ KEEP the car. If you sell it, 1 day u will realise that you got enough money without having to get rid of the car but u will never see the car again and you will regret it all your life.

Money gets made, 1 owner cars are priceless.  :yesnod:

mally69

KEEP IT, and don't ever look back.  :Twocents:   Just think of it this way, just how much do you think that charger will be worth when your house is all paid off. It will be WAY MORE than its worth now. Then down the road when your old and your house is all paid for and you look at that car in your garage you WILL say man i am glad I kept that car.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 07, 2008, 11:55:09 AM
So lets say you want to buy a house at $180,000.  Assuming you already have 20% down of $36,000 your loan amount financed is $144,000 and your prinicple only payment is $844 at 6.2%.  If you have no money down and your Charger is your down payment, you can keep the Charger and finance 100% of the loan of $180,000 and your payment is $1,102 + mortgage insurance of probably $100 so about $1,200 a month.
So in comparison you are spending an extra $356 a month for 30 years to keep your Charger.  Now, i am normally with these other guys, but $356 a month for 30 years is a lot of money.  But, you mention that this house will be an investment that you will turn around and sell in a few years, so i would keep the Charger and take the risk of making money on the house in a few years.  If you dont sell the house then at least you still have your Charger to take out once in a while.

PT

What bank do you borrow money from to buy a house?   180g house here is 1800$ a month payment for 30 years.

Todd

69charger2002

$1100 here for $180k 30 years.. plus insurance..which if it's in new orleans the flood insurance may put it OVER $1800 a month lol....

Quote from: mally69 on July 07, 2008, 08:39:55 PM
KEEP IT, and don't ever look back.  :Twocents: Just think of it this way, just how much do you think that charger will be worth when your house is all paid off. It will be WAY MORE than its worth now. Then down the road when your old and your house is all paid for and you look at that car in your garage you WILL say man i am glad I kept that car.

and though i agree with this statement, houses, long term, are a MUCH better investment than a charger. the return on the house could potentially be double what the charger goes up, in 5 or even 10 years.. plus the more you put down on the house, the less you blow on wasteless interest

as per the original question. very hard to say on a car like that. my opinion in real world worth, not normal sellers asking price.. is $30-35k
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

myrtle

Thanks to everyone who shared their prospective.
I had a mid 20K offer out of portland. I guess we will see what happens

DodgeChargerNeeded

I was going to value it at around 25k as it sits.
Jeff

triple_green

Car needing some bodywork and to be painted....some interior work...in this market I would take the $25K and run. I wouldn't pay more than $15-20K...because of all the remaining work. Paint and body work is especially expensive if you can't do it yourself.

Very nice car...

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

moparstuart

Quote from: myrtle on July 07, 2008, 10:42:10 PM
Thanks to everyone who shared their prospective.
I had a mid 20K offer out of portland. I guess we will see what happens
hold out for 35k , if it doesnt sell keep it .  I vote keep it anyway !
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ViperRedCharger

Keep it.  Find away to make ends meet.  You will be kicking yourself 5 years from now if you sell it.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html