News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's with the price of 69 Charger R/T's lately?

Started by nakita7, June 29, 2008, 10:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nakita7

I don't quite understand this one....

Most prices of Mopars have come down over the last 6 months or so. 3rd gens, E-bodies, Hemi Cuda 'recreations', Wing Cars, etc. I've been looking for a 69 RT for over a year now, haven't found an honest deal yet. (Sorry, I'm good with my money). Last year, most 'done' 69 R/T's were asking/selling for $30-40K, $45 for something special. So now, with gas prices up and rising, economy tanking in areas, all of a sudden somebody with a 69 RT is asking $60-70K???? Of course, they don't seem to be selling, but as a person with intelligence, I simply can't figure this out? Anyone else see this lately?  :shruggy:

69charger2002

i sure have noticed it. i have a 69 R/T getting a new 440 put in it, and then i'm going to sell it.. have been keeping up with ebay just for value in this market, but i can't get a good idea because they are all way overpriced and not selling..
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

1969chargerrtse

I was telling someone yesterday I have 40k in my 69 RTSE and he asked if I'd be interested in selling it as he has been looking for over a year.  No way!  Some cars are just special and always command good money.  I think that's the case for most 2nd gens and thats a good thing.  :yesnod:   I don't follow the other years but it could be the same thing?  Guess what I'm saying is as an owner I do understand it.  Maybe those 60/70k cars are first time back on the market since restorations and that's the type money that was invested in them?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

WingCharger

Read a old car Trader at Jubilee today, 69 R/T's hitting $65,000 was everywhere. :flame: :flame: Nothing under $20,000 either.

JimShine

How many people that have invested $30K+ into restoring an R/T over the past 5 years really NEED to get rid of them now? The exceptions would be the guys that did it on credit that want to dump the loan. But I believe most guys paid cash for their restos. They can afford to sit on it and wait, for now atleast. If things get worse maybe some will be forced to sell, but I don't think it will bring them all down to reality.

chargerboy69

For me, I noticed prices of non R/T cars seem to be higher too. Not all of them, but some I do not understand.

This is a non numbers matching SE car selling for at least $30,000.00. Now it looks like a decent car, but is it that nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1969-DODGE-CHARGER-SE_W0QQitemZ130233396311QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130233396311&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

This is the 318 car that needed paint that sold for over $25,000.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1969-Dodge-Charger-Matching-Numbers-Great-Shape_W0QQitemZ170228057386QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170228057386&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1308

Now maybe some of this is just friends bidding up friends cars. Oh wait, people don't do that on E-Bay.  :D
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

nakita7

There was a white 70 Charger R/T just sold on Ebay for $25000, because it was no reserve. I firmly believe a no reserve auction on Ebay is ACTUAL market value. That's what people are actually willing to pay. 80% of the listings on Ebay don't sell because guys are just playing games. Hemmings, Barret-Jackson, and my personal favourite, NADA Value, don't mean squat for car prices. I'm kind of glad prices are getting better. When you talk to people at car shows, they always say" I like Mopars, but they are just too expensive" It's true. Some of these asking prices are friggin embarrassing to me as an actual Mopar guy, not someone who's into the money end of it.

Mike DC

"What's with the price of _______ lately?"

When you get right down to it, this statement could refer to almost any old musclecar on the planet.  And at almost any time during the last 20 years. 

It's like gas or cigarette prices - There was never a time when we actually were satisifed that they were cheap enough. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Best-ever Mopar + best Hi-po factory options = stupid money.

I really think '69 Chargers are the top of the heap in terms of Mopars.  The Mopar community itself loves the E-bodies more and they are more rare.  But I'll bet the '69 Charger (well, at least the 2nd-gen Charger in general) would win a popularity contest over the E-bodies if you looked at general-population-wide stats.

daytonakid

I know what I have in my restored show poodle 69 R/T. It is perfect and done right. You might think I'm crazy but I won't take less than 100,000 for it. I've already been offered 80K for it just recently. I don't have to sell it and it is cool showing up at shows with twin 69 R/Ts. Bill
Owner East Portland Auto Body www.eastportlandautobody.com

bull

What I have noticed lately is that the high-end 2nd gen Charger prices seem to have finally caught up to and in some cases passed the Cuda/Challenger prices. I think part of it can be attributed to a couple things. One, Mopar people have gotten tired of seeing mostly Cudas and Challengers lined up at shows and want something new and different. The Charger has always been popular but less valuable until recently. Also I think Hollywood has something to do with it. If you count the number of Charger sightings to the number of E-body sightings on the big screen lately I think the Charger is way out in front. Maybe old Mr. Angry has something to do with it too.

Mike DC

I like E-bodies, but they're overrated by the Mopar hobby because they're our ponycar.  If the first-gen Camaro had been Mopar product too, then we would probably rank the E-body's styling down lower compared to them.

But the 2nd-gen Charger, on the other hand?  They're so totally good looking and fast and awesome even aside from brand loyalty.  There's no GM or Ford equaivalent car that we would automatically be preferring over these things if we weren't Mopar guys.  That's the difference.

68RT4ME

Ultimately, the price of any car is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Take a guy who may have once owed a specific color/engine/trans combo and has the money to spend. He'd pay higher for a car that maybe wasn't in the greatest shape or it's resto wasn't top notch just to have it. If the car is special to someone, they'll pay. I too am in the middle of restoring my numbers matching 440-4spd '69 R/T. I know how much I have in it thus far and what I'd be willing to take when it's finished. I have no intentions to sell but as is the case many times, if someone hits me with the right number, I'd surely think about it. Thankfully, I'm not in a situation that forces me to sell any of my cars right now so, I can say no to anyone till they offer something that would entice me to sell.

I know that in todays market a numbers matching car may not mean much to most but it does to some and I think that would keep the value higher than a non-numbers car IMO. I don't know what percentage more it would be worth but I have to believe it is worth more.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

Mike DC

The numbers matching stuff means more to those who are of the generation to actually remember these cars early. 

For someone my age, "unrestored numbers matching original" has only ever meant that EVERYTHING on a car is probably worn out.  On the other hand, I was also not yet around in a time when everything swapped on a car meant it was probably cheap & amateur.  I've always known "restorations" to result in cars at least as good as they were originally built, if not better. 

And these days the fraud is just too rampant as well. 

Even if I wanted a numbers-matching car, I don't think I would trust the story to be true unless I could verify it with just about every owner the car ever had.  And I'd have to trust THEM, too.

SFRT

for me the 'real' value is what the insurance company will pay you if it gets totalled.

my insurance company says my 69 R/T is worth 65,000.00-thats what they valued it at independently...legally binding by contract.... I had figured 25 or 30 grand tops is what they would say...

thats what they will cough up for it in the event of total destruction/ theft. It was quite a bit more than I had expected, so I was very pleased. It is alot more than what I have into the car.

I personally have no plans to sell it ever, so my only concern was at least breaking even if it gets stolen, totalled etc.

plus the value of any future upgrades to the car, as long as I keep all the documentation...which is nice.
Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Blown70

Well I have been watching some Cuda, barrcudas, two have not bid over 22,000 very nice cars and yet the owners wanted 35,000.  I said simply sorry out of my range for THAT car.  They were nothing special.  Sorry They were $20,000 cars at best. 

I have two chargers just have an itch for a E-body.

So, I can TELL you the E-body market does not seem as good.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 68RT4ME on June 30, 2008, 08:13:28 AM
Ultimately, the price of any car is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Take a guy who may have once owed a specific color/engine/trans combo and has the money to spend. He'd pay higher for a car that maybe wasn't in the greatest shape or it's resto wasn't top notch just to have it. If the car is special to someone, they'll pay. I too am in the middle of restoring my numbers matching 440-4spd '69 R/T. I know how much I have in it thus far and what I'd be willing to take when it's finished. I have no intentions to sell but as is the case many times, if someone hits me with the right number, I'd surely think about it. Thankfully, I'm not in a situation that forces me to sell any of my cars right now so, I can say no to anyone till they offer something that would entice me to sell.

I know that in todays market a numbers matching car may not mean much to most but it does to some and I think that would keep the value higher than a non-numbers car IMO. I don't know what percentage more it would be worth but I have to believe it is worth more.

:iagree:  I'm with him................
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

challenger70

Quote from: JimShine on June 29, 2008, 04:31:57 PM
How many people that have invested $30K+ into restoring an R/T over the past 5 years really NEED to get rid of them now? The exceptions would be the guys that did it on credit that want to dump the loan. But I believe most guys paid cash for their restos. They can afford to sit on it and wait, for now atleast. If things get worse maybe some will be forced to sell, but I don't think it will bring them all down to reality.

:iagree:  people aren't financing thier restos with money they need to feed themselves.  People holding out for a big price drop may be dissapointed, especially once the economy turns around.  Time will tell.
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

Ghoste

The ones hoping for a big drop may be disappointed, but the ones hoping to get stupid rich overnight aren't making out so good either.

Dan T

True, something is only worth what someone else will pay for it.
But the bottom line is that the '69 Charger R/T is the cat's ass!!
They aint making anymore of them, and with each year, hundreds of new people join the hobby, and it's simply supply & demand.
I told my wife long ago that I will never sell mine, and if I croak before my time, it either goes to my son, or I get buried in it!!
1969 Charger R/T
1969 Dart Custom
2006 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Dan T on June 30, 2008, 09:07:08 PM
True, something is only worth what someone else will pay for it.
But the bottom line is that the '69 Charger R/T is the cat's ass!!
They aint making anymore of them, and with each year, hundreds of new people join the hobby, and it's simply supply & demand.
I told my wife long ago that I will never sell mine, and if I croak before my time, it either goes to my son, or I get buried in it!!
:2thumbs:   Friggin A.  Right on brother!
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Mike DC

I wish like hell they'd make a modern 2nd-gen looking Charger, not because I want one myself so much, but rather for the simple reason that it would draw enthusiast money away from the old Chargers a little. 

It's no coincidence that Camaros & Mustangs are cheaper and they also stayed in production for 40 years. 

y3chargerrt

They made ten times as many Camaros and Mustangs then Chargers is one of the man reason they are cheaper imo.

PocketThunder

If 69 Chargers get anymore popular i'm going to have to bring my SE parts car back from the grave.  :o  I have a picture of it on here somewhere.......
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 01, 2008, 01:24:04 PM
If 69 Chargers get anymore popular i'm going to have to bring my SE parts car back from the grave.  :o  I have a picture of it on here somewhere.......
just give it to me  i'll fix it
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

PocketThunder

Quote from: moparstuart on July 01, 2008, 01:56:02 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on July 01, 2008, 01:24:04 PM
  just give it to me  i'll fix it

I'll trade you for your '69 Truck...  :drool5:  :drool5:  :drool5:  I'll even deliver it.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."