News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird glass rear window

Started by oldcarnut, June 23, 2008, 12:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I got this number from a friend at the local cruise inn for a source on glass rear bird windows.  I called and he said it was about $650 if I remember right.  It was Auto City Classic inc. 763-444-5880 should anyone want it.  Are there others out there selling real glass windows or has anyone got one from him?  I'm in the planning stage trying to figure my options vs. costs for my own clone although I am far from a building point and still waiting on my kit to be built/delivered.   I'm reluctant to want to use the lexan because of the driving time the car will be used and don't have the fg plug to see if it would even support a glass window.  Anybody got any experiences using real glass in a fiberglass plug? I know that a steel plug would be the way to go but for now I would rather put that cost towards a/c, interior, and other needed stuff.  If I have to I'll just go with the regular rear window then change out later.  Most non Mopar people on average wouldn't probably notice anyway.
David

billssuperbird

i have a nos superbird rear glass in my fiberglass plug. the plug i got from ted janck. it fits just fine. i used windshild molding from the front of a chevy van.  for the rear of my clone.

hotrod98

Quote from: billssuperbird on June 23, 2008, 03:20:02 PM
i have a nos superbird rear glass in my fiberglass plug. the plug i got from ted janck. it fits just fine. i used windshild molding from the front of a chevy van.  for the rear of my clone.

And, still no pics.  ;D

The only thing keeping me from altering the back glass on my wife's clone was not knowing what to use for moldings.
Mind sharing additional info on the van moldings, year model, alterations, etc.?
How did you attach the moldings since the Janek plug doesn't have the little pins to keep the retainers in place?
So many questions...so little time.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

i've seen them attached with dum dum and it worked
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on June 23, 2008, 04:03:39 PM
i've seen them attached with dum dum and it worked
who you callin a dum  dum
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

oldcarnut

I saw these on another window trim thread. Its the part numbers. 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19852.0.html
Quote from: billssuperbird on December 12, 2007, 06:10:51 PM
the molding came from a glass co call ryans auto glass. the molding is two pieces . its  off a chevy van. it is wide enough to fill the gap from the glass to the body. i hope this helps you. 
Quote from: billssuperbird on December 14, 2007, 04:40:20 PM
the part number for the molding is wktd1161. it comes with two rubber moldings + two metal caps. may kit did not have the caps.so i went to chevy for them . the part number for them is 14027097. this molding is the same width as the real superbird molding. my car has original superbird rear glass in it. when i get the top on i will take pictures. :drive:

hotrod98

I'm thinking that we're talking about the plastic or rubber moldings here. I really don't want to go that route. If I'm going to do the back glass, I want the stainless moldings.
I've heard guys talking about taking two sets of the regular b-body moldings and making the bird moldings. Just wish someone would give those of us that rode the short bus detailed instructions on how to make them.
  :shortbus:

Charles Addams

billssuperbird

ted janck told me to use left and right top rear of a1970 rr. for the top left and right on the superbird. and cut to fit. then he told me to use the left and right top rear of 1970 charger. then take the right top rear of the charger and put on left lower rear of the superbird. and cut + bend to fit.then take the left top rear of 1970 charger and put on right rear lower of 1970 superbird. and cut + bend to fit.  ted will do this but i do not know what it cost. i hope this will help you.  :scratchchin:

hotrod98

That helps a lot. That's the first time I've ever known which moldings they were using. I have those moldings, but they're on cars that need them.
Now I need more. Anyone?  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams