News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

01/15 Update - more brake lines - My '68 Hemi Charger R/T

Started by hemi68charger, June 17, 2008, 05:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69*F5*SE

Very nice to see your progress pics, it's motivating, but I'm still jealous  :yesnod:

hemi68charger

Thanks again... I'll be heading back over there today to take the grille header so the hood will have it's latch to alignment and transportation is eased....  Don't want any shaking and chip the paint on the hood and/or fenders. Obviously, more pictures if it's accessible...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 24, 2008, 10:48:02 PM
Of course, I could have gotten to the extent of Geno's Daytona with Vance,

Eh, there's always someone who can do it better, more detailed, more authentic, more accurate, more researched, more correct parts, etc. etc.  Just look at the phenomenal job that Steve Been is doing on Dave Walden's white & blue Challenger.  :o   After that car has been completed, there will be someone who will make a run at trying to top it - and deep-pocket guys like Juliano, Wieman, Sullivan, Wellborn, etc. are the type of guys that mere mortals can never outspend. 

My biggest problem is learning a few things about how the cars went together originally, and then having a hard time ignoring all this new-found knowledge on my own car's resto.  Y'know the old addage "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"?  Well, with my car's restoration, it's more like "a little knowledge is a very expensive thing."  I really doubt my car will be judged worthy of comparison with the likes of Mr. Walden's Challenger, so I am choosing not to lose sleep over that sort of thing.  It's important to me to do the best job possible with the information and parts I've been blessed to have found, and I'll let the big league guys fight over whose car is the best.  It won't be mine, but at the end of the day I will be quite satisfied.

It's much more important to do the resto to suit YOU and no one else, and I think that's what you're doing - quite well, I might add.

but..... I'm nowhere in that league..  :icon_smile_big:

I think you're selling yourself a bit short there Troy, the car looks AWESOME   :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

I think you're selling yourself a bit short there Troy, the car looks AWESOME   :2thumbs:

Thanks Geno..... I'm trying.. As you know, there's the coordination in a timely manner that both educates the shop on topics like this that's out of the ordinary without the risk of delays in their time line....

Then comes the part once I get it home on how much I'm going to do. There's someone interested in it at a price that may allow me to get that elusive Daytona......

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

All the sheetmetal is getting bolted on and aligned today and then the final painting. Next week will be cut-n-buff so I should have her home by next weekend !!!! I can't wait to start putting all the stuff back in............ I'll be going over there tomorrow to check it out and take more pics............

Troy
Troy

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 25, 2008, 06:24:56 PM
There's someone interested in it at a price that may allow me to get that elusive Daytona......

Excellent!!    :boogie:

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on June 26, 2008, 08:44:15 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on June 25, 2008, 06:24:56 PM
There's someone interested in it at a price that may allow me to get that elusive Daytona......

Excellent!!    :boogie:

I'd have to give up the '70 v-code as well more than likely... But, that beats having to give up Dana..... Like Jim's "3-daytona", I could be "2-XX29"   :D
Troy

hemi68charger

Here are some more from today. Boy, it's getting closer...

Pic: 1   As I saw her when I got there next to the Spoiler..
Pic: 2   The hood, deck lid and front valance ready for installation and buffing...
Pic: 3   Right frontal view... Lookie at those lil' holes in the door...  :icon_smile_big:
Pic: 4   Right rear...
Troy

hemi68charger

Pic:5   I tried to make sure they didn't smooth out the factory seam there between the end cap and quarter.. I also made sure the gaps between the rear valance and end caps were exactly the same as original... You'll notice the dark primer color under the car.. Some would have had more overspray, some less... I let things fall as they may treating the painter as an assembly line painter back in the day..

Pic:6   Another shot of the underside and the effort I made to duplicate the OEM primer/overspray. It may not be "perfect", but she's mine

Pic: 7  Frontal picture of the underside.. Bill will fade some more overspray from the front both on the inside framerails and floorpan behind the firewall-2-floorpan pinch weld.

Pic: 8   Engine bay shot. There is some touch up to do on the bolts and fasteners. The fenders were temporarily placed and fitted. Then, the body sealer will be placed in between the inner fender panels and fenders. Battery tray attach hardware will be painted as well just like in the day.
Troy

hemi68charger

Pic: 9   Frontal shot...
Pic: 10 Final shot of the day...
Troy

69_500

Car is coming along very nicely.

I still think that if I had a car that I had spent that much time, sweat, and money into repairing. That I'd have a hard time giving it up for anything

except for a Daytona.  :cheers:

Does look darn sharp though Troy.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on June 27, 2008, 09:03:36 PM

except for a Daytona.  :cheers:

Does look darn sharp though Troy.

That's what I'm working on......  :icon_smile_big:

I'm with you though.. The car is turning out so much better than I envisioned.. (Of course, my vision could be to infinity and beyond, but I can't afford that).... I've waitined ten long years for this and it will be hard to let her go if it comes to that... But one thing that's ok, there's a guy interested in her once I get her back and all I have to do is make a roller out of her.... So, we'll see... It's another chapter in my Mopar-life, with or without this soon-to-be gorgeous car...
Troy

moparchris

Wow!!!
Troy, the Charger is looking fantastic!!!  After all this work I hope you see it through to completion. :2thumbs:
I know exactly where you've been, but I can only tell you that I'm glad I stuck it out with my 68, now I can at least say I finished it and I can either keep it or trade it for a wing!!  GET 'ER DONE BROTHER

69*F5*SE

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Steve P.

WOW.........................   She is beautiful...    Keep those pics. coming....   
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree:  That color is stunning in the sunlight.  Love to see it in person one day.  Stay strong Troy, she's almost there! :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparstuart

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 29, 2008, 05:39:46 AM
:iagree:  That color is stunning in the sunlight.  Love to see it in person one day.  Stay strong Troy, she's almost there! :cheers:
love the color also  , 68 HEMI  , that would be hard to give up !
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

68RT4ME

Buddy, that thing is just awesome. I know we've talked allot about your plans but, the shop is surely making it hard to want to let it go if it were me. Course, I've been hearing about you wanting that Daytona since what, 1979?  :scratchchin:....lol

Personally, I don't think your serious about the Daytona....  :lol:
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

hemi68charger

Quote from: 68RT4ME on June 30, 2008, 08:34:56 AM
Buddy, that thing is just awesome. I know we've talked allot about your plans but, the shop is surely making it hard to want to let it go if it were me. Course, I've been hearing about you wanting that Daytona since what, 1979?  :scratchchin:....lol

Personally, I don't think your serious about the Daytona....  :lol:

Yeap,, after being my best friend for over 25 years, you have me pegged................... NOT !!!!!!!        :icon_smile_big:
Troy

BigBlockSam

QuotePersonally, I don't think your serious about the Daytona 

he's serous. :yesnod: :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on June 30, 2008, 12:37:25 PM
QuotePersonally, I don't think your serious about the Daytona 

he's serous. :yesnod: :cheers:
really from most of troy's posts i got the feeling he hated daytona's     :insertsarcasm:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Here's one of the latest of the motor.. It's a continual detailing, but fun nonetheless... I finally was able to get the pesky dipstick tube in and painted up.... I'll be installing the insulators later and painting them as well as they should.. This is a detailing in progress...
Troy

4speed