News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 band adjustment question

Started by toupee, June 10, 2008, 10:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toupee

Hi all,
I just put a valve body in my 727 and got everything wrapped up except the kickdown band adjustment.  I got the locking nut loose and went to adjust the bolt and it WOULD NOT back out.  I practically had all my scrawny 155 lb self hanging from the wrench and the adjustment bolt just would not loosen no matter what I did  :rofl:  Does anyone know if there is something wrong internally somewhere or something?  The tranny fluid that drained out looked like new though there was some residue in my filter.... I'm not sure what it was.  Maybe I'll post a pic when I get the chance. 

RD

did you loosen the 3/4" nut securely fastening the bolt in place?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

toupee

Yep, sure diid.  The 3/4" locking was loosened.

RD

did you shoot a bit of carb cleaner/degreaser around the adjusting bolt to ensure there was no grease/grime hindering it from being turned?  if so, are you turning it to the left (hehehehe).

lastly, you may have to drop your pan and look up inside (may have to drop the VB to get a clear look).  try turning it to the right, spray some carb cleaner in there, then turn it back to the left.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

toupee

I had a glimpse of the adjustment bolt when the pan was off.  It's up against the strut... nothing really looks abnormal.  Perhaps just road grime has gotten in the threads and made the bolt sieze.  But man!  It's almost like it welded it in there.  Someone suggested heating the tranny case around the bolt, but I haven't tried that.

John_Kunkel

Did you try turning the adjuster both ways? It needs to be tightened before it is backewd out.

If still no go, a little heat on the case might be the only solution.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

toupee

Yep.  I tried tightening it too.  I was messing around with it again a little this evening and it actually bent the open end on my 5/16" wrench!  Heat it is I guess.