News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 X 4 intake . pros cons whats your opinion ?

Started by rav440, June 07, 2008, 09:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

yea yea i know single 4 is the best way to go . but i like the look of the DUAL 4 under the hood . so just a thought im kicking aroud .  :scratchchin:

Weiand low profile alluminum intake manifold

edelbrock manifold CH28

i already have the single 4 edelbrock CH4B but like i said i like the looks of the DUAL QUAD so the 440 is .030 im going to get the VOODOO cam 346 heads 1.81 2.14 valves stock HP exhaust mainfolds 727 auto 3.55 gears .

so are 2 X 4 carb set ups relly a pain in the arse to keep in tune ?  is the a differance in performance ? what size and type of carb would be used in this application ?

out of the 2 intakes in the pics what is better for use and will they fit under the hood of a 73 rr .

this is just a thought im kicking around im not looking to drag race i just want to drive the car and lite up the tires from time to time .

thanks RANDY  :2thumbs:

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

rt green

had a 383 in a 71 challenger years ago. found a '62 2x4 intake probably off a de soto or fury. put it on and ran dual afb carbs with a 4 speed. worked quite well. wish i still had it. traded it for a torker and a 750 holley plus cash. big mistake. should've kept it.   
third string oil changer

67_Dodge_Charger

Dual fours are not as bad to tune as a six pack.  I have read on this site or moparts, and in the hot rod mags that one carb is set for the low end and the second is set up for the high end.  There is a problem with too lean on one end but that can be handled.

I have a dual quad tunnel ram setup on my 383 stroked out to a 496.  It is just a matter of finding the sweet spot.

Robert

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

A383Wing

ITSA426

I just spent the day working on a dual four setup to go into my 383.  The set on my hemi runs great - no problem in all the time I've owned it.  Not the most efficient way to get horsepower but it looks like the best thing on a mopar. 

I'm using the old iron mopar manifold for the 383 so no performance goals but I've wanted to do it since the 70s.  I've got most of the parts gathered up and a few spares if I decide to do the same to my 440.

It seemed like an awful lot of engineering just to get the 383 to pull 343 horsepower but it looks good.

62 Max

This one works good!

A383Wing

Looks the same as mine...I'm running the 343 horse cast iron manifold on my Charger....1962 vintage I think....I have had it on the car since the late 70's....will probably be there until I die....I made my own baseplate so I could use the stock air filter top and stock air filter...it's all open under the lip of the air cleaner top like the unsilenced ones for the 4bbls

One more thing...I do not have progressive linkage on mine....I have the carbs linked together...both primaries are opening at the same time

694spdRT

I had 440 with a tunnel ram and 2 660 Holley center squirter's in my '68 Charger for a few years. The car ran like a beast and never gave me any problems. It just ended up being a little bit of a pain because the engine was a little wild for cruising.

I will probably use the setup again in the future though.

Here is an old picture of it. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

mauve66

Quote from: 67_Dodge_Charger on June 07, 2008, 10:46:06 AM
Dual fours are not as bad to tune as a six pack.  I have read on this site or moparts, and in the hot rod mags that one carb is set for the low end and the second is set up for the high end.  There is a problem with too lean on one end but that can be handled.

Robert

i keep hearing people say that about 6paks and maybe i got lucky but the only problem i ever had with it was when the fuel pump went south and i listened to everyone else say it was the carbs and sold them for a 4 bbl THEN i found out the fuel pump was bad,, and it was my every day car from Mar 94 to June 95 and Sep 98 to July 99.  (i will have another one someday)
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment