News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

67 440 build

Started by MoparMotel, October 16, 2005, 04:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

as some of you already know i am building a 67 440. I want to get some good horsepower out of it but not too crazy. its already rebuilt so i am going to take it to the machine shop and have him check it out, bead blast, paint it, probably new rings. So far here are some things i want to do to it. Can anyone reccomend a better combo?

- Mopar Performance Cam- Was thinking 484/484 but have to talk to machine shop........want a pretty stong lope at idle
- Intake( not sure which one yet )
- Holley 650cfm carb
- moroso valve covers and air cleaner
- maybe new rings?
- Taylor 8mm plug wires
- new water pump, plugs, brass freeze plugs, belts....ETC
- Probably hooker headers but have a set of Headman on the other engine and like them so far.

What else can i do for performance that isnt real pricy besides heads?

1968 Dodge Charger

Just 6T9 CHGR

I would suggest looking at cams from Engle Cams www.englecams.com

The MP .484 is an old design.  Engle makes new fast ramp high lift cams using the Mopar lifter profile.

I used the K56 cam in my 440 with '67 915 closed chambered heads.

I had them grind it at 108* CL for a nice lope.  It has great vacuum (14" at idle compared to the MP .484 cam's 9") and is very streetable. 
This recommendation was given to me by Neil/Chryco (cant take the credit for it)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

golden73

I would go with a holley street dom intake, with at least 750 cfm carb. Throw some roller rockers on there and you will see a nice increase in power, but nothing too crazy.

MoparMotel

ok thanks. I do not want to sound immature but i'm in High School and have a few guys that are really pissing me off. One has an 03 Mustang GT with a chip set and he really thinks his car is the shit but a nice guy. The second guy has a `70 Camaro 350-4 Speed that thinks he will blow the doors off of a 440 ( a real a-hole ). Third guy has a 03-04 Mustang Mach 1....i'm not going to lie that thing sounds MEAN.......I am trying to build a motor with some good horsepower to enjoy and race these guys every once in a while ;)

Heres the motor me and my dad finished.........this one should be fast but i want the 67 a little more pumped up
1968 Dodge Charger

golden73

How much are you looking to spend?

MoparMotel

ummm i dont really have a set price me and my dad are just going to build it for fun........nothing too expensive though........i spent $1,000 on the motor in the picture above and hardly did ANYTHING performance to it........so around there or more
1968 Dodge Charger

MoparMotel

Would getting the heads ported help out alot?
1968 Dodge Charger

golden73

You could get a stroker kits from http://www.440source.com

That kit, with a new cam, intake, carb, and mild porting... you will be making some serious power... if the budget allows it, that is what I would do.

Chryco Psycho

Porting is definatly a good theing to do IF it is done correctly , you can get templates from Mopar as a guide
I highly recommend the Street Dom Intake & 750 CFM Holley / Demon / Proform carb or bigger
I would spend a few more $$ a get Blue Max / MSD ign wires over the Taylors