News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Msd or Mallory ignition box???

Started by Tarzan, May 27, 2008, 04:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarzan

What do you think is best and works best with my 440 block ( 69 charger)??

Have heard that MSD DIGITAL 6 PLUS is very good or that the Mallory Hyfire 6 EZL Digital. Which one would you pick?

Or do you have any other that you would recommend??

And which distributor should I use with the box that I will buy?

Mefirst

Either will be good, its more on how much your willing to spend... Im running the MSD 6 Digital and a Mopar dist. I do also have an MSD distributor laying on my garage shelf...

/Tom

Tarzan

Are you satisfied with the msd 6 digital??? Any troubles with it?

And which mopar distributor do you use? Is it to be found at summit?? link?

The msd box is twice as much as the mallory here, but money is not the issue here.

Just want to know which one is the best, also since im going to get around 500-600 hp in the end.

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Tarzan

So you would not choose the digital? Why is the 6al better? Just want to know since it cost a bit here in Norway. Its about 720 dollar here for the boxes.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Tarzan on May 28, 2008, 08:51:08 AM
So you would not choose the digital? Why is the 6al better? Just want to know since it cost a bit here in Norway. Its about 720 dollar here for the boxes.

The digital is too expensive and has a lot of features most guys don't need....unless you are a hardcore racer and need lots of fancy delay electronics, start retard etc...

The 6al supplies the same hot multispark as the digital 6 and has a rev limiter feature....works fine for me.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mefirst

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 28, 2008, 09:11:39 AM

The digital is too expensive and has a lot of features most guys don't need....unless you are a hardcore racer and need lots of fancy delay electronics, start retard etc...

Ron

This is true, a 6AL box is al you need really... The main reason I went for the Digital 6 is that is has the Start Retard feature. I have 12.X:1 something compression in my engine, so any kind of start help is welcome.. I also like the 2x RPM limmiter function. One is hooked up to the Line lock and the other is for engine WOT.. There is also a Timing Retard function, comes in handy if you plan on running Nitrous...

I also like electronic gadgets :icon_smile_big: Ron is more an "Ol´ Skool Geezer :nana:

About the distributors. To my knowledge there is not much difference, other than the price tag between the MSD and Mopar dist, both will do the job great..

SummitRacing Parts #

MSD Magn. pick-up with vacume adv. # MSD-8387
MSD Magn. pick-up with mech. adv. # MSD-8546 (This is the one I have laying around)

Mopar Performance # DCC5249775 Magn. pick-up with mech adv. (This is the dist. I run on my Hemi)

/Tom

Runner

you get more bang for your buck with mallory products.   i run a mallory 685 box on my roadrunner. it has alot more features than a msd digital 6 box and fdoesnt cost much more than a 6al box.     the summit boxes are repackaged mallory pieces.   some of the mallory boxes are cheaper than the same summit unit however so if you decide to go that route price both before you buy.   

all my other cars have stock mopar electronic ignitions. they are easy to find parts for, are cheap and work just fine in most situations.     

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Tarzan

Im thinking this distributor from mopar:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DCC%2D3690428&N=700+115&autoview=sku

And the Msd digital 6.

Thats what everyone has here, and it is as expensive as any other msd box here where I come from, so it doesnt really matter which one I buy.

Would these two work GOOD together???

Mefirst

If your car is more a cruiser, and doesnt see much 1/4mile racing, etc.. that Mopar kit would actually be enough, you dont need the MSD box, the Orange ign. box will do the job... IF you do want to spend money on an MSD box, well then get the Digital 6... and -Yes, you can hook up the Mopar distributor in that kit with an MSD box. Only thing you need to be 100% shore of, is that you wire it corectly...

/Tom

Tarzan

Is it that hard to wire/install??? Or do I need to extra careful with using mopar distributor and the msd box together?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Tarzan on May 28, 2008, 05:28:31 PM
Is it that hard to wire/install??? Or do I need to extra careful with using mopar distributor and the msd box together?

The MSD 6AL is a very straght forward install and it will work fine with the mp dist. That is the exact combo I have in my Charger.  :yesnod:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Silver R/T

Ive got mallory hiFire on mine, works perfect and I spent less than $100 when I got it on ebay
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bordin34

If you use a Summit box, do you still need the ballast?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Mefirst

With the wiring, the "problem" might occur, when hooking up an X-brand ignition box with an X-brand distributor, cause the "+ and -" wire colours will not match. If you hook up the distributor to ign. box wires wrong, the timing will become screwed up by several degrees, the engine might run, but it wont run good..

Using a ex. MSD ignition box you by pass the ballast resistor completely, you also need to modify the wiring connecting the "Start" and "Run" wires from the ignition Key... Here is a "badly" drawn picture of how to do the electrical wiring.

/Tom

Tarzan

A couple of guys says that this mopar distributor with the MSD DIGITAL 6 box.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DCC%2D3690428&N=700+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSD%2D6520&N=700+400122+4294925127+115&autoview=sku

They said the reason why was
:

Computer Controlled Compatible: No

Ignition Box Required: No

Is this true? I have already bought the mopar dist kit so I really hope that it will work or do I need a msd dist kit????