News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car Exhaust Smells Bad

Started by dvnen, May 24, 2008, 08:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvnen

I have about 500 miles on my rebuild 383 (stock rebuild with small cam) and notice that the exhaust still smells even after I run it for awhile.  The exhuast is also irrigating on the eyes.  I tried playing with the mixture screws on the carb but it did not help much.  I am running regular gas.  Anyone offer any suggestions to fix the problem?

Thanks

General_01

Did you put new exhaust on the car or are you still running the same exhaust and mufflers from before the rebuild?
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Ghoste

Bad smell and hard on the eyes makes me think it's too rich.  You said you tried to lean it out, what type of carb is it?

firefighter3931

What cam ? Tight lobed cam profiles with lots of overlap will throw some raw fuel into the exhaust....or it could be jetted rich. A weak ignition system will also send unburnt fuel out the tailpipes as well....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger340

Is it a Holley ?

If "yes", My vote is Blown Power Valve.

If "NO", check Float Bowl height.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

dvnen

thanks for replies..it is new exhaust and mufflers magna flow with 2 1/2 stainless.  It is a holley 750 carb.  It is a mild comp cam, not sure the exact specs. I adjusted the mixture screws but with little success.  Should I be running premium gas?

Ghoste

I'd start with Challenger 340's suggstions.

dvnen

the carb was also rebuilt - stupid question though is the power valve in the carb?

firefighter3931

Quote from: dvnen on May 27, 2008, 07:46:57 PM
the carb was also rebuilt - stupid question though is the power valve in the carb?

Yes,the PV is in the primary metering block.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

onebadmopar

yes its in the carb im having same issue altho i dont have 500 miles on it yet i just broke it in but mine is also rich i have the eddie 750 on mine we pulled the plugs and found that they were built up with carbon already  gonna change them tomorrow might think asbout checking the plugs if their fouled couldntthat cause that rich smell?

firefighter3931

Quote from: onebadmopar on May 27, 2008, 09:28:21 PM
yes its in the carb im having same issue altho i dont have 500 miles on it yet i just broke it in but mine is also rich i have the eddie 750 on mine we pulled the plugs and found that they were built up with carbon already  gonna change them tomorrow might think asbout checking the plugs if their fouled couldntthat cause that rich smell?

Fouled plugs can be caused by several things ;

rich idle and overjetting
weak ignition system
heat range too cold

Ron

1969chargerrtse

I have the same issue with my rebuilt 440 with a 750 eldelbrock.  I've been fine tuning here and there , but I still get a gas smell when I take a cruise. I replaced the points, plugs, timed and dwelled it and played with the carb, but the exhaust smell just wraps around the car?  Ya got me.  :shruggy:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

onebadmopar

is maybe the 750 to big for a stock 383?

Ghoste

onebadmopar

only thing not stock is the fact that it was bored 30 over .. what size carb would be the ideal for this motor?

onebadmopar

or can i tone the 750 down some somehow?

70 500

is a gas or oil smell or is it a coolant related leak  of some kind
hold my beer, this is gonna be fun