News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rolling Thunder's Charger Restoration Thread *PICS* *UPDATE!*

Started by Rolling_Thunder, May 21, 2008, 02:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

UPDATE: 07 November 2008

Well Today was a big day for me as far as progress...    sorta.  I went up to Westoaks Dodge and got all the front engine parts from Troy including the Power Steering Pump, Alternator, Tensioner, Air Conditioning Compressor, and Hardware - including six more oil pan bolts I need for my Weldtech oil pan (yes, the stock bolts work just fine)

When I got home I notice a big box from TTI on my porch...   Opened her up and I got my headers and motor mount plates.

Yesterday I went and picked up my K-member from powder coating and she sure is pretty....     

I am waiting on two more bolts from Troy before I start assembling everything - I need to run and get bolts for the power steering pump as these can not be ordered at a dealership as Mopar does not have a p/n for these...       I'll also need to go and buy hardware for the TTI motor mount plates as well as modify my existing rubber mounts....   

Today - also my master cylinder adapter from Mancini Racing showed up...   I decided to run the car without hydroboost for now pending a reply from hydratech about their mounting block.

So - now I am off to mow my lawn - take care guys - Pics in the near future for the patient ones.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Silver R/T on May 25, 2008, 09:26:29 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on May 21, 2008, 02:40:56 AM
Hmmm...maybe I should get my butt into gear and get my car to the body shop :)

is your mommy gonna give you enough allowance money to afford a paint job? Remember kiddo this is not like painting your little johnny die cast models

Ohhhh, tough guy ::)
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

firefighter3931

Looking good Alex. I allways liked your car in White !  :2thumbs:

The great white whale is back !   :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

Well - I was in a car accident and have been recovering so not much progress on the Charger - couple that with 18 units in college and a full time job...    = no time to work on the Charger....

And if anyone has been wanting to do this swap The flywheels bolts don't seem to be available anywhere but they are some bullshit metric size...  --- 8 are required.  Pictures are to follow as usual   

CB

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 04, 2008, 03:19:41 PM
Well - I was in a car accident and have been recovering so not much progress on the Charger - couple that with 18 units in college and a full time job...    = no time to work on the Charger....

And if anyone has been wanting to do this swap The flywheels bolts don't seem to be available anywhere but they are 7/16 x 20 x 1.5" --- 8 are required.  Pictures are to follow as usual

I hope you recover soon, man!
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

autodynamics

looks killa........................ keep posting pics.!!!!! :cheers: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 04, 2008, 03:19:41 PM
they are some bullshit metric size...  --- 8 are required.

Since we over here in Europe have easy acces to all common "bullshit metric sizes" of bolts I can find them for ya (maybe even for free).
Bag them and in put them in the mail to ya....Only a suggestion but in times of headaches still considerable.

BTW very nice job on the 68.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Rolling_Thunder

Well I found the Bolts...    M10 Extra fine thread (1.25 i assume) by 30mm long...   10.9 grade...      needed 8 = $34.66   ouch...     but it was the only place I could find the extra fine thread bolts.  So I got the flywheel mounted - and now I discovered the pressure plate I was planning on using wont fit the flywheel and the Bellhousing that is made for a SBM to a TKO does not fit the TKO bearing retainer....     UGH!   I hate cars sometimes.

moparstuart

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 05, 2008, 02:28:36 PM
Well I found the Bolts...    M10 Extra fine thread (1.25 i assume) by 30mm long...   10.9 grade...      needed 8 = $34.66   ouch...     but it was the only place I could find the extra fine thread bolts.  So I got the flywheel mounted - and now I discovered the pressure plate I was planning on using wont fit the flywheel and the Bellhousing that is made for a SBM to a TKO does not fit the TKO bearing retainer....     UGH!   I hate cars sometimes.
square peg round hole  :eek2:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Rolling_Thunder

So...    Here is what I have learned from my experience so far - hopefully this can help anyone who wants to do this swap in the future....

6.1L Hemi Flywheel Bolts: M10x1.25x35mm (8 req.)

Mopar Performance Flywheel: Drilled and Tapped for 10.95" Clutch set ONLY

QuickTime Bellhousings: Will not fit Mopar flywheel and 10.95" Clutch

Stock SRT8 Pilot Bearing: Will not work with Tremec TKO or T56 transmission

Pressure Plate Bolts: Stock Mopar will work

Rolling_Thunder

Well here it is the last day of 2008 and I am nowhere near where I wanted to be with the Charger...     oh well...

So here is the progress as it stands....    the new bellhousing is on its way...   its been 9 days but with the Holidays I can understand...     

Other work completed...     I have begun restoring the facia pieces for the dash and began prepping the car for the side glass...   

45* oil adapter has been modified to fit the stock K-member

A/C Compressor has also been cut and modified for clearance to the motor mount...

As soon as the bellhousing comes I'll have the engine and trans in - upon that time I'll be sure to add a bunch of photos

A/C compressor is mounted along with the rest of the accessories and the belt is installed as well

Thanks for the wishes on my recovery = I am back to my normal self - ribs, leg, and arm are all healed up

Rolling_Thunder

Bellhousing came today - It actually fit my transmission with the clutch and flywheel combo...       got it from Keisler...      Funny how they send you a stock mopar bellhousing   :scratchchin:

Anyway - Here's my Mopar Flywheel

Here is my McLeod Clutch and Pressure Plate Mounted - again the Mopar flywheel is only drilled for an 11" Clutch

Brand new Mopar Mini-Starter

and finally here is my Bellhousing

moparstuart

autodynamics

i would cut those threads down on the oil filter adapter even though the housing is cut a correct filter is tough to remove if you cut 1/2 off the threads you will have enough swing for the filter... all this of course is if your using a stock k member....  :Twocents: :Twocents:

Rolling_Thunder

Hey Pete! Nice of you to chime in - I am indeed using my stock K-member...    Does this swap need the smaller hockey puck style filters or would a traditional Big block filter fit ? I know the threads and such are the same but wondering if there is enough room for a larger filter with the K-member clearance.  :shruggy:

News: After 3 months the hydroboost company has not responded to my multiple inquiries into a mounting block for my hydroboost unit...   I guess I'll just break out the measuring tape and drill press and make one...      It really burns my grits when a company will not reply to something like this...     its like "Hello, I have $$$ I want to spend on your products" and them not even care - I am amazed how companies like this still are around...     of well - This shouldnt be rocket science...    4 holes for mounting bolts, one recessed hole for the Booster, and If i get really motivated - mill the edge to give it a finished look...      :2thumbs:     While I'm at it I'll make it have an extra section to mount my hydraulic clutch resevoir with two small holes tapped for 1/4-20 ARP bolts - so when a car shower asks "who made that" I can say "I did"

autodynamics

you can use a smaller oil filter but still u need to cut down on the threads trust me you will thank me later... as for the hydroboost there are 2 company's
hydratech which paul owns but now is wholesale only i paid 575 for my set up and i hear its allot more now.there is another company in california that has it also. hydroboost ?? i forget but they have it also complete. the mounting bracket is about in inch thick made out of aluminum.
research and see what you come up with. if you need help shoot me a pm... glad to see your making progress..... you still have along way to go my friend. and then when your all done the guys here will be like you ruined it.... like i get... but i enjoy it all the time i would love to go one on one against one of these clowns here..Pete

Rolling_Thunder

I e-mailed Hydratech with no reply...    I only need the mounting block - I already got the unit itself...      I think the company out here in CA is ABS brakes or something...   

I know I have a long way but if I get the engine and transmission actually bolted in it would be a huge feat for me...     I am going to run this whole car off a SRT8 Charger EMS - I just cant pony up  $1000.00 for the Squire harness when I have all the stock harnesses on my garage floor...   I'll just make my own and save a bit... 

I am also going to have to modify my tank myself...    project "Starving Student" will not be getting a $1800.00 fuel tank and pump...   I already have an Aeromotive A1000 pump and filters...   I figure cutting open my tank and making a mounting system and such should not be that hard...   then the corvette filter/regulator and some line...   boo-ya - done and done...    I know the A1000 is overkill but oh well...   got one on the shelf...   may as well use it.

My car was a 318 auto so if I "ruin" it by putting in a 6.1L and a 5-speed with a bunch of suspension mods then so be it...    When it's done I'll be taking her to Willow Springs for some fun... 

I'll cut those threads tomarrow for sure...   

Rolling_Thunder

Your inbox is full bro - just thought you would like to know   :2thumbs:

autodynamics

Rolling_Thunder

Alrighty - another update - seems like not many people are paying attention so...    hopefully someone will be able to use this info at a later date...

Today I pulled the K-member and front suspension out of the car and got her up on jackstands - got the transmission bolted up to the Engine  Bell-housing finally and it fit great - finally got a break with this project it seems. Engine and trans are mounted on the K-member - complete assembly is mounted to a cart that rolls - will be installing the engine/trans/K member tomorrow morning.

The Driver's side of the engine bay is going to be VERY busy and cramped...   Between the A/C lines, power steering gear box, steering shaft, and ultimately hydroboost lines...    hopefully all these problems will be worth it when its done.  :D

NOTES:
Problem: TTI Headers hit on upper rear edge of factory A/C compressor
Fix: Dimple new $600+ headers   :flame:

Problem: TTI Headers hit stock Mopar Bellhousing on Passenger Side
Fix: Clearance grind bell-housing flange with trusty Dremel Tool

Problem: Driver's side motor mount bolt hits rear of A/C Compressor
Fix: Grind bolt length down to prevent A/C Compressor interference.

moparstuart

WingCharger

Quote from: moparstuart on January 23, 2009, 10:26:19 PM
I have be watching and following it  :Twocents:
:iagree:
This will come in handy in the future for the Daytona, if it ever happens. :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

Rolling_Thunder

Well good to know then - guess it just needs more pictures  :rofl:

mikepmcs

Alex,
We are following, no doubt.  I just don't have anything valid to input.  Keep them pictures and progress reports coming brother. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?