News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How about a food recipe thread

Started by mikepmcs, May 19, 2008, 09:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runningman

Here is the dry rub I use for pulled pork

1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
2 Tbsp salt
2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp cayenne

I get pork butt/shoulder, I think they are usually 8-10 lbs or so (not sure), apply the dry rub and let the butt sit for an hour and proceed to cook it in the oven at 225 degrees for around 12 hours (fat side up).  The internal temp should be around 185-190 when done, I take it out and let it sit for another hour before pulling...put a little bbq sauce on it if you like, it tastes good with out as well.....tender as hell.

oldgold69

pea soup looks good. but how big is a palm full .   

moparstuart

Quote from: oldgold69 on February 03, 2009, 10:26:20 AM
that was my problem , I have big palms , so I have to water to down now big time .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mikepmcs

Quote from: oldgold69 on February 03, 2009, 10:26:20 AM

A tablespoon will suffice for a palm full.
Take a tablespoon of salt and pour it in your palm.  VIOLA...a palm full

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mikepmcs

I hear you Brian, thanks for the bump.  I hate to keep posting on my own thread. :lol:

I've got a bunch but was hoping some other wannabe chefs would pipe up.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

captnsim

Smoked meat loaf...One of my favorite things to make in my smoker...  :yesnod:

Loaf Mop Ingredients:
1 cup of cider vinegar
1/2 cup hearty red wine
bunch of garlic cloves minced
2 tablespoons corn oil
1 tablespoon of summer savory
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon of your favorite mustard

Meat Loaf Ingredients:

1 medium onion -small chop
1 red bell pepper-small chop
1/2 cup sun dried tomato's minced and plumped in warm water
2 tablespoons corn oil
1 and 1/2 pounds ground beef[tri-tip or sirloin]
1/2 pound ground pork[shoulder or tenderloin]
1 and 1/2 cups ritz or waverly crackers
1 egg
1/4 cup hearty red wine
3 tablespoons of your favorite que sauce
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce

Procedure:

Placing all your loaf mop ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil stirring so as not to stick.Then lower temperature and let the mix simmer and bubble a bit. Set aside.

saute' onion, red pepper, and sun-dried tomatoes until soft in corn oil in a heavy skillet.

Place ground meats in a large bowl and add cooked vegetables and remaining ingredients. Using your hands thoroughly mix all ingredients.

Form meat mixture into a loaf and place in a metal or glass meat loaf pan. Moisten the top of the meatloaf with some of the Mop and then place pan in your smoker over your water pan.

Cook for one hour at 220 degrees without opening smoker. Then remove pan and remove meat from pan and place loaf back into the smoker. Cook an additional 1 and 1/2 hours, mopping with mop every 30 minutes.

Ten minutes before you remove loaf from smoker brush your favorite que sauce on top of loaf or you can use ketchup or a can of undiluted tomato soup on top of loaf. smoke awhile longer.

Remove from heat seal the loaf in foil and let meat rest for awhile 20 minutes. Slice in 1" slices and serve your favorite que sauce on the side or you can thicken the remainder of the mop and use that as a dipping sauce.

If you choose to use the mop as a dipping sauce bring it back to boil for two or three minutes before thickening it. Just for safety sake!

b5blue

OK since I'm not done reading Vista for Dummies yet...you got to trust me, Google "The Bacon Explosion" and tell me what you think! I'm slobbering just thinking about this thing, my son found it on the web. We are gonna try it when he comes back from school!!  :drool5: Please somebody make one and tell me if it's as good as it looks!

mopar_nut_440_6

Fruit Cake

Ingredients

1 cup water
         1 cup sugar
         4 large eggs
         2 cup dried fruit
         1 teaspoon baking soda
         1 teaspoon salt
         1 cup brown sugar
         lemon juice
         nuts
         1 gallon whiskey

Instructions
Sample the whiskey to check for quality. Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again to be sure that it is of the highest quality.

Pour 1 level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer; beat 1 cup butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add 1 teaspoon sugar and beat again. Make sure the whiskey is still okay. Cry another tup. Turn off the mixer. Break two legs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt. Or something. Who cares. Check the whiskey. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.

Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window. Check the whiskey again. Go to bed. Who the hell likes fruitcake anyway?

1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

b5blue

captnsim

Here is my cheesy garlicy smashed taters

3 1/2 pounds russet potatoes
16 fluid ounces (2 cups) half-and-half
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons kosher salt
6 ounces grated Parmesano Reggiano

Peel and dice potatoes, making sure all are relatively the same size. Place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce heat to maintain a rolling boil. Cook until potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork.

Heat the half-and-half and the garlic in a medium saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Remove from heat and set aside.

Remove the potatoes from the heat and drain off the water. Mash and add the garlic-cream mixture, salt, and Parmesan; stir to combine. Let stand for 5 minutes so that mixture thickens and then serve.

The potatoes will become very soupy when you add the half and half mixture with the minced garlic cloves but will tighten right up with the addition of the grated parmesan cheese..

This is very rich and tasty!

mikepmcs

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: b5blue on April 24, 2009, 08:42:54 PM
OK since I'm not done reading Vista for Dummies yet...you got to trust me, Google "The Bacon Explosion" and tell me what you think! I'm slobbering just thinking about this thing, my son found it on the web. We are gonna try it when he comes back from school!!  :drool5: Please somebody make one and tell me if it's as good as it looks!

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

:cheers:

:rotz: I started a diet this week.

b5blue

moparstuart

Kicked up Manly killer veggie dip recipe

1 cup sour cream
  1 cup mayo
  1/2 cup cottage cheese  ( more if you really like it)
  1/2 a juiced lemon (just the juice )
  1 package of ranch dressing mix  ( not the dip mix )
  1 teaspoon cayenne pepper     (only 1/2 a teaspoon if your a wimp) LOL
  1 teaspoon garlic salt
  1 teaspoon garlic power or some fresh ?
  2 teaspoons onion powder
  1 package coursely graded (not fine) mozzarella cheese

optional if you like crab  toss a can of  fine crab meat in it .

mix it all together and let it sit in the fridge at least 2 hours   over night is best .

great with most raw veggies  , I love it with baby carrots , cauliflower ,and cucumber slices.  

moparstuart

beer dip     for pretzels

great stuff  you will sit and eat it untill the bowl is empty
  Use the larger honey wheat pretzel sticks for best results , but any pretzels will work .

16oz softened cream cheese
        1 package finely shredded cheddar cheese
        1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
        1/2c beer (plus or minus depending on the consistency you desire)  must taste to make sure of quality  LOL
        seasoned salt to taste
        chopped green onions ( several )  to your liking I like alot .

mix and let set up in the fridge

The70RT

Quote from: b5blue on April 30, 2009, 05:41:13 PM
:cheers: Woven bacon slices!!  :2thumbs:

That's crazy. Did you read the blog below it?  :lol:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mr.Woolery

Super dooper creamy whipped taters

Note:  you'll need a heavy duty mixer for this, the kind you can set and walk away while it mixes.

-Boil some peeled & quartered potatoes until fully cooked but are still firm and not falling apart in the pot yet.
-Drain the potatoes.
-Put cooked potatoes into a mixing bowl along with plenty of butter and some half and half (or even some heavy whipping cream).  NO SALT and NO PEPPER as it'll ruin the delicate flavor of the final product.
-Turn on the mixer starting on slow speed...
-Add milk or half & half or heavy cream (cream is better) to the mix while mixing until the mixture starts to be almost like a very thick batter rather than your typical mashed potatos.
-Initially keep the mixer on the slow setting, but gradually increase the speed until the mixer is going as fast as possible without tossing the ingredients out of the mixing bowl.  Ideally you want to get the mixer to go at almost top speed (like you're making whipped cream or merangue).
-Mix it for at least 15-20 minutes at high speed (yes, it'll start cooling, but that's okay)
-You may need to add some cream (or milk) a little at a time if the mixture starts to get too thick over the time it's being mixed.
-You'll know that it's done right if you see clumps of hair-like fibers gathering on the mixing blades (this is crucial to the success of the recipe).  Do not eat these fibers...they're gross, it's like eating hair (I tried it once, bleagh).  These are microscopic fibers found throughout the potatoes, removing them will make the potatoes incredibly creamy (well, aside from all the butter and cream that's been added).  Occasionally removing the fibers from the blades and continuing to whip the potatoes is optional...you'll only get so much of these fibers out of your batch of potatoes.
-When done mixing, reheat the mixture either in an oven or microwave to your desired temperature.

The final result will be whipped potatoes that will need nothing to taste fantastic...though they play nicely with any gravy/veggies/meats/etc. that they're paired with.  You'll be able to *pour* the potatoes out of the bowl, but they'll still stand up nicely....basically they'll be a sort of cross between mashed potatoes and whipped cream.

-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

moparstuart

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 19, 2009, 12:42:19 PM
Ok, it's been a while so you guys get pea :nutkick: soup!
No soup for you!

No really, another request from my buddy(you know the guy  who wanted the corn chowder) so now he wanted pea and ham soup.  So what the hell, one shot and it seemed to be the right ingredients cause he and his wife and kids ate almost all of it in one sitting.  I have a 6.5 quart slow cooker BTW and it was nearly full. :o  I bet they are on the terlet today boy :icon_smile_big:

It's pretty straight forward so here goes.

- 2 packs(16oz) of cubed ham(or 2 ham steaks chopped into cubes)  I didn't use a ham bone for this one for the main reason that they belong in Navy Bean soup and nothing else. ;D
- about 3-4 cups water
- 3 cans of peas
- 1 bag dried peas
- 7 small potatoes or 3-4 medium potatoes(dice em up)
- 4 stalks celery(chopped)
- 4 good sized carrots(chopped)
- 1 medium/large onion
- celery salt- palmful
- onion powder- palmful
- garlic powder- palmful(you can use some real garlic if you want but no need in this recipe.
- thyme-tspn
- parsley- palmful
- basil- palmful
- oregano- tspn
- garlic pepper- palmful
- pepper- lots
- EVOO- tbsp or a little more
- real butter- about 1/4 stick
- a good size slow cooker/crock pot

Empty the water, 3 cans of peas with the juice, bag o' peas, ham(juice as well), potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, then add all the spices, oil, butter, on top of that mess.  Turn the cooker on high and after it gets up to temp(about 2 hours) stir it,  and then stir it once every hour.  About 9-11 hours later, you have what you want depending on your cooker.  The potatoes and the can peas are what give it the consistency it needs.(they will become really soft as time goes by and the stirring breaks them up and gives it that great coloring you are looking for)  No need to add flour or any other thickening agents.

I know some of you are gonna throw the puke sign up there, but if I blindfolded you and put it in front of you, I bet 9 out of 10 would think it was pretty good.

i was in the mood for pea soup again soidug up mikes recipe , have a bunch of easter ham left over

mikepmcs

ChgrSteve67

Chicken Dumpling Soup (makes about 10 servings)

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Medium red onion chopped
1 leek chopped
1 large potato diced
1/2 stalk celery diced
6 cups chicken broth - Swanson Natural Goodness Chicken Broth, 33% less sodium
Meat from 1 cooked chicken shredded
Usually I get a roasted chicken from the store and use half. 
Wife does not like a lot of chicken in soup.
1 cup fresh green beans cut up
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
2 bay leaves
Salt and Pepper

Options depending on your mood.
Broccoli
Corn
Asparagus tips
Carrots Diced
Green peas
Button mushrooms

Dumplings:
1 cup milk
1 stick butter
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs

Soup:
In a small amount of cooking oil sweat the onion, leak and celery. Add potato, chicken broth, and celery salt.  Simmer about 25 minutes or until potato is soft. Put into blender or use immersion blender to blend smooth and return to pot.  Add fresh parsley, bay leaves, green beans, and any other vegetables you would like to add, Simmer another 15 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Note: If I add carrots I usually steam them separately until they are tender then add with remaining vegetables.

Make dumplings:
Bring milk and butter to boil, add salt and nutmeg.  Remove from heat and immediately add flour stirring until dough leaves the sides of the pan.  Incorporate the eggs, 1 at a time, forming a sticky dough.

Add spoon sized balls of dumpling dough and simmer until dumplings rise.  About 5 to 10 minutes.

I will be making this again tomorrow and am going to see how a few small hand fulls of spiral pasta does in it.
Kinda like a chicken noodle soup with dumplings variation.

I find that my 7 qt Le Creuset pot is the perfect vessel for making soup in.

-Steve

Musicman

Here's one of my favorite homemade recipes... made this one up one day doing what guys do best in the kitchen... inventing stuff to eat.
Took me 3 tries to finally get it right where I wanted it... and I had the good sense to write it down... which is something most of us guys are not good at in the kitchen.
Whenever I come up with something that everyone likes, and the wife asks me how I made it, I just shrug my shoulders... "I don't know"

Sweet Corn & Clam Chowder
Yield 1 Heavy Gallon Plus

Have all ingredients prepared and ready before starting.

3 tbsp Chopped Garlic
1 cup Chopped Chourico (Portuguese) or Chorizo (Spanish)
½ cup Chopped Bacon
2 tbsp Olive Oil

¾ cup Chopped Spanish Onion
¾ cup Diced Celery
¾ cup Diced Carrots
¾ cup Chopped Leeks
¼ cup Chopped Scallions

½ cup White Wine
40 oz’s (5 cups) Clam Juice
24 oz’s (3 cups) Heavy Cream

2 cups Diced Sweet Potatoes
2 cups Cubed Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Sazon
1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper (1/2 tsp for those who like it spicy)
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
1 Bay Leaf

24 oz’s (3 cups) Chopped Clams
24 oz’s (3 cups) Sweet Corn Niblets

ROUX:  Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Stir all or part of the roux into the chowder to thicken as desired. 

3/4 stick Butter
1/2 cup Flour

b5blue

Musicman

OH it is brother... it is  :cheers:

Here's one for the Waterfowl Hunters out there...
I made this one up for use on Roast Duck or Goose... (it works just as good for store bought birds as well)

Blueberry Glaze

2 cups   Blueberry’s  (Fresh or Frozen)
1 cup     Blueberry Wine
1/3 cup  Brown Sugar
2/3 cup  Sugar
¼ tsp    Ground Cinnamon
1 tbsp    Balsamic Vinegar

Combine contents, simmer to reduce.
Desired consistency should be reached
in 45 min to an hour.

mikepmcs

what I made for dinner.
what you are looking at is on an entire loaf of bread.  5 hamburger patties, 8 pieces of bacon, bunch of ham, capocollo, genoa salami, hard salami, provolone, onions, tomatoes. mayo and mustard.