News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ive got a stumper

Started by onebadmopar, May 18, 2008, 10:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadmopar

hey guys bleeding the brakes in my 69 charger plan on statring it for the first time tomrrow we cant get fluid to get back to the rear wheels master cylinder is brand new new lines when we pump it up 3 times open bleeder nothing come out been trying it for 10 minutes on right rear wheel tried right left wheel same  thing nothing coming out ... whats up with that

kab69440

Bad prop valve. Been there, done that about two years ago.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

onebadmopar

kab69440

I robbed mine off a C-body a scatpack/moparts member bought for the driveline. You can use most any valve from a similar brake setup. I.E. If your car has front disc/ rear drum, grab a valve from a similarly equipped car of approximately the same weight. Diplomats and late B's are also great donors for brake stuff. Have the one you're buying labelled as to which lines went to which wheel. They vary from one application to the other. I should also add that you don't want one that has been dry (unhooked from the system) for any length of time. It will allow the valve to freeze up as your current unit seems to have done.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

onebadmopar

kab69440

With all the front disc upgrades going on, finding a f/r drum valve shouldn't be difficult. I believe "terrible one" just upgraded to front discs. You might want to PM him.

WANT TO BUY:

Thank you,    Kenny

onebadmopar

yeah i plan on upgrade too but right now i wanna make sure the motor breaks in ok lol

onebadmopar

i have the rear of the car jacked way up (so i could fill rear end with gear oil) decided may as well bleed brakes as well  would this affect bleeding them at all ? and with drum brakes im reading this is actualy a distribution box  the car did sit without brake fluid in it for almots 6 years now  if this box is frozen up can it be cleaned up or rebuilt by myself? or is it a lost cause and try to find a new one i did notice on the bottom of it it has a small nut wich seems to be leaking ever so slightly

y3chargerrt

You need to have your car on level ground to fill the rear end.

BRS

Having the car jacked up won't effect the bleeding of the brakes. Open the main line that attaches to the brass block on the rear end (before they split to the rear wheels). See if you have fluid coming out of it when someone steps on the pedal. If not then you might need to remove and clean you distribution valve. If fluid does come out of the line then you might have a collapsed hose in the rear. If the car has been sitting for a while its a good idea to change them anyway. Also, be aware that the fluid pressure is going to be weaker at the rears than the fronts.

onebadmopar

i managed to get fluid to the right rear wheel with a vacum brake bleeder i had my girl pump up the brakes and i opened the bleeder and it just sorta trickeled  out is ( that  normal?  )  but was all fluid  the left rear still isnt getting fluid but something i did notice was 1st off when i got in and pumped up the pedal shouldnt it get to be a  hard pedal after a few pumps (mine isnt it stays the same no matter how many times you pump it ..also the right rear wheel that is bled  with pedal pushed to floor  the wheel still spins ..... is this just a shoe adjustment ? i applied the e brake and it will hold the right rear wheel  and just a little on the left  another thing is my original mc had a nut in the center holding it down i bought a new one thats supposedly forthis car but it has the steel holddown  that you fold over to remove the cap im at a loss with this brake system any help would be greatly appreciated

Charger-Bodie

hows the rear brake flex hose??
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

onebadmopar

just  crawled under it took a peek looks to be the original not torn or doesnt appear to be leaking

onebadmopar

took off rear brake flex hose blew air thru it sure enuff its clogged i took a coat hanger and managed to work it thru to the end then took brake cleaner and squirted it thru comes out like a trooper now can this hose still be used or could it be torn inside ?

rusty lee

I'm no expert but when it comes to stopping a heavy old car I'd go with a new one.   :Twocents:

y3chargerrt

RELPACE IT! It probably only cost 15 bucks.

bill440rt

Question: Are the rest of the lines new? If you are starting with a new, dry system it takes a while for fluid to get to the rears.
I let my bleeders cracked open for an hour or 2 to let the system "gravity bleed" first. It took quite a few sessions of pumping to get fluid to the rears.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

onebadmopar

nope it was the rear line  it was clogged i unclogged it .... but i ordered a new one but wont be in till tomorow i put the other one back on and bled them to see if there were any other brake issues and they bled fine but still  no brakes in rear... slows it a little but even pushed to the floor  they wont lock up im doing this with out the power assist car is off i adjusted the rears all the way till i couldnt move tire by hand then backed it off till i could turn it but its still the same way pedal will not stop them very good what am i doing wrong? :RantExplode: