News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANYBODY EVER STOOD UP AND FOUGHT THE H.O.A ???????????

Started by skip68, May 15, 2008, 11:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

Quote from: skip68 on May 16, 2008, 11:52:28 PM
Quote from: PocketThunder on May 16, 2008, 11:46:26 PM
Quote from: skip68 on May 16, 2008, 11:41:23 PM
QUOTE: The HOA probably sees Mrs. Skip and company as an easy target and the HOA is afraid of the Meth house.  Mrs. Skip, do you know all the members of the HOA?  Is one of the member living in the Tweekers house maybe?

I would Highly doubt that! Did you look at the raid thread that I posted ? Why would anyone give a membership to people like that?

Now, that is RATIONAL thinking,......................................but you never know. I seriously doubt it! I wish I could post all the complied footage from that house so you could see first hand! Just not that computer friendly yet as far as posting vid's /Pics. And we don't want too much out there yet!
:yesnod:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

the raid thread?  no i didnt see it.
I'm sorry Pocket, I meant the link that i posted in this topic!  :icon_smile_big: Very interesting stuff!

http://yeyende.blogspot.com/2007/06/no-seriously-my-life-really-is-this.html

Damn,  nothing like that for me here in fly over land.  My neighbors across the street started their own Brewing company and are doing quite well..  :cheers:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Tilar

Quote from: bull on May 16, 2008, 01:09:18 PM
Quote from: Tilar on May 16, 2008, 07:20:37 AM
Quote from: BB1 on May 16, 2008, 06:52:07 AM
I don't buy homes with HOA, mostly because I have a lot of junk in my yard anywayzz.

I wouldn't have any place with a HOA, Simply because I wouldn't have anyone telling me what I can and can't do with my property.

Until your neighbor starts parking refrigerators and couches on the front lawn, 15 junk cars on the street and 54 cats in a school bus, right? People are always against HOAs until they wake up one day and realize that their neighborhood suddenly looks like Sanford & Son.

I'm right smack dab in the middle of 130 acres. If my neighbor had a bus with 54 cats, I think they'd either be smart enough to stay away from my dogs, or they would soon become puppy chow.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bull

Quote from: Tilar on May 18, 2008, 08:20:47 PM
Quote from: bull on May 16, 2008, 01:09:18 PM
Quote from: Tilar on May 16, 2008, 07:20:37 AM
Quote from: BB1 on May 16, 2008, 06:52:07 AM
I don't buy homes with HOA, mostly because I have a lot of junk in my yard anywayzz.

I wouldn't have any place with a HOA, Simply because I wouldn't have anyone telling me what I can and can't do with my property.

Until your neighbor starts parking refrigerators and couches on the front lawn, 15 junk cars on the street and 54 cats in a school bus, right? People are always against HOAs until they wake up one day and realize that their neighborhood suddenly looks like Sanford & Son.

I'm right smack dab in the middle of 130 acres. If my neighbor had a bus with 54 cats, I think they'd either be smart enough to stay away from my dogs, or they would soon become puppy chow.

We should all be so fortunate to live in the middle of 130 acres; my entire 70-home development doesn't even cover 130 acres. But we're not all so fortunate and so we have HOAs (ideally) to prevent the one dillweed with refrigerators and couches on the front lawn, 15 junk cars on the street and 54 cats in a school bus from ruining it for everyone else.

Old Moparz

Quote from: MichaelRW on May 16, 2008, 05:19:01 PM
If you don't already have a copy get a copy of the Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions. This document should spell out exactly what the specifics are for the HOA. That should help in knowing whether you or any one else is in violation and even whether the HOA itself may be violating it's own rules.

This is exactly what I was thinking too. You can't make valid complaints unless you know the rules, or know if someone is violating the rules. Even if you didn't sign anything directly agreeing to whatever the HOA rules are, you kind of did when you bought the house if the HOA was there already. It works kind of like a deed restriction when you buy a piece of land that states you need to build a certain size, or style home or you can't build at all. The one thing that would be hard to argue, is when there is a statement or rule that is vague & allows the violation to be determined by an HOA member. It leaves them a blank space to write in "whatever they determine" to be in violation.

I didn't see it in your posts, but is the crack family Robinson the owners, or are they renters? Wonder if renting is allowed under the HOA dictatorship?   :shruggy:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

skip68

Well the "Crack Family" consists of FOUR generations in a three bedroom single family dwelling. :shruggy: That's at least 8 people in a house! The grandparents own the house, the rest are floppers! You can rent in this neighborhood though, but it's not the case with these folks!  :brickwall: We also found out that when they had the three person "secret meeting" the lady that owns the HOA was not present and in the hospital! Kinda funny how her signature  was on the paperwork from said meeting! :shruggy: By law she has to be at all meetings. :scratchchin:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

MichaelRW

Quote from: skip68 on May 19, 2008, 09:51:59 AM
Well the "Crack Family" consists of FOUR generations in a three bedroom single family dwelling. :shruggy: That's at least 8 people in a house! The grandparents own the house, the rest are floppers! You can rent in this neighborhood though, but it's not the case with these folks!  :brickwall: We also found out that when they had the three person "secret meeting" the lady that owns the HOA was not present and in the hospital! Kinda funny how her signature  was on the paperwork from said meeting! :shruggy: By law she has to be at all meetings. :scratchchin:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

You really do need to read the CC&R's. To the best of my knowledge, nobody owns the HOA so I don't understand your statement that a lady owns it. The HOA is a legal entity in and of itself. Sounds like the members of the HOA are playing real loose with the rules.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

skip68

do need to read the CC&R's. To the best of my knowledge, nobody owns the HOA so I don't understand your statement that a lady owns it. The HOA is a legal entity in and of itself. Sounds like the members of the HOA are playing real loose with the rules.

That was exactly what we thought, and still are questioning. But, when Chuck went to the office he specifically asked "who was the top person in this HOA office," Their reply was "Cindy so-and-so." Chuck asked if she was the Supervisor/manager, and the reply was , "No she OWNS it!" :shruggy:
We're in contact know with the Barr Asso. and they are looking into it.

On a side note, this morning we were in our kitchen and saw this vehicle out in front of our home with someone taking pics. (I think it was because we have a "Few" pieces of crab grass in our lawn that is sticking up, but that will be taken care of this evening, it's just too dam hot here right now to fire up the lawn mower!)
Now I know they do that regularly, but the timing was funny after Chuck was just in their office on Friday! :scratchchin:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

MichaelRW

Perhaps Cindy is the president and if so she still would have to abide by the CC&R's. It sounds like the HOA Board may have some small minded people on it that like to flex a little power (the type where it goes to their head).

Best of luck pursuing this.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

bull

Quote from: skip68 on May 19, 2008, 04:26:37 PM
do need to read the CC&R's. To the best of my knowledge, nobody owns the HOA so I don't understand your statement that a lady owns it. The HOA is a legal entity in and of itself. Sounds like the members of the HOA are playing real loose with the rules.

That was exactly what we thought, and still are questioning. But, when Chuck went to the office he specifically asked "who was the top person in this HOA office," Their reply was "Cindy so-and-so." Chuck asked if she was the Supervisor/manager, and the reply was , "No she OWNS it!" :shruggy:
We're in contact know with the Barr Asso. and they are looking into it.

On a side note, this morning we were in our kitchen and saw this vehicle out in front of our home with someone taking pics. (I think it was because we have a "Few" pieces of crab grass in our lawn that is sticking up, but that will be taken care of this evening, it's just too dam hot here right now to fire up the lawn mower!)
Now I know they do that regularly, but the timing was funny after Chuck was just in their office on Friday! :scratchchin:
Mrs.Skip68 ;)

If you were doing meth and running prostitutes you'd be alright. Crab grass is the real crime. :nono:

69Charger_440

I didn't want to start a new HOA thread so I'll ask the question I have in this thread.  Our neighborhood (appx 50-60 homes) finally elected three of our neighbors to head our HOA.  What I would like to know is if the Pres, Vice Pres, and Treasurer have to pay their dues like everyone else in the neighborhood?  Or do they get some kind of perk like having their dues waived or a discount for "running" the HOA?  Any responses would be appreciated!

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

I was on my 25 lot subdivision's HOA for about 7 years.  It was not only a thankless, but also a non-paying position.  The other two members and I had to pay our dues just like everyone else, and I felt bad turning in any out-of-pocket expenses for subdivision-related things so I just ate them... even for time/fuel spent cutting the 1.5 acres of common ground which I've done now for 11 years.  There are a couple of hotheads in our subdivision, so it's not worth the inevitable argument about what's a fair rate of compensation.

My experience (around here, anyway) is that people serve in positions like HOA Boards for little, if any, financial benefit.  Washington, MO has less than 20,000 residents and is a tight-knit community, plus my subdivision's definitely on the small side, so maybe things are different elsewhere.

Orange_Crush

Contrary to popular belief, many good neighborhoods do not have or need HOAs.  The most expensive neighborhoods in Charlotte...Myers Park, Eastover, Foxcroft, etc. do not have HOAs and you may see boats in driveways and sometimes, you may even see a house or two with an A/C unit in the window.  You may even see a house that is unkempt....but still, houses on Queens Road West and Cherokee Drive sell for 5 million and up.  A 1200 square foot house in Myers Park will sell for 600 grand easily.

I have never lived in a neighborhood with an HOA and have lived in some of Charlotte's more disirable neighborhoods.  I've never made less than 150,000 profit on the sale of a house after 3-4 years.

My neighborhood does not have an HOA and prices in my neighborhood are rising steadily despite the downturn in the housing market.

Neighborhoods that have and need HOAs are neighborhoods that promise faux exclusivity in outlying areas where you mostly get lottery winners, people who JUST made it big in business, and people who have mortgaged themselves to the eyeballs on an adjustable rate sor subprime loan.

Now, to the original poster's question, the only way to beat the HOA is to be on the board.  HOAs are a way for little people with empty lives to have a feeling of power over others.  They can put a lien on your house and foreclose on it.  Be careful.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

hemi68charger

OK, I'm confused...
There's a bad house in the community? The HOA's doing or not doing anything about it? Where does this come into harrasement towards you?

I'm the newly elected President of the HOA in my new subdivision and I'll tell you want, it's a royal pain in the you-know-what. Board members are always either the proverbial "bad-guy" or the guy that's supposed to fix everything. Having to please everyone all the while, more than likely (as in our case), no one else wants to do it.

There are limits to what a HOA board can and can't do. When it comes to legal stuff, the board has to balance the amount of money it's going to cost to take a certain resident to court all the while, being mindful that the money used in this litigation are dues paid by everyone (hopefully), including the board..

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bull

Quote from: 69Charger_440 on August 11, 2011, 08:19:17 AM
I didn't want to start a new HOA thread so I'll ask the question I have in this thread.  Our neighborhood (appx 50-60 homes) finally elected three of our neighbors to head our HOA.  What I would like to know is if the Pres, Vice Pres, and Treasurer have to pay their dues like everyone else in the neighborhood?  Or do they get some kind of perk like having their dues waived or a discount for "running" the HOA?  Any responses would be appreciated!

I was part of my HOA board and yes, I had to pay like everyone else. Moreover, you get absolutely nothing in return for the work you do other than attitude, anger and blame.

69Charger_440

"I was on my 25 lot subdivision's HOA for about 7 years.  It was not only a thankless, but also a non-paying position.  The other two members and I had to pay our dues just like everyone else, and I felt bad turning in any out-of-pocket expenses for subdivision-related things so I just ate them... even for time/fuel spent cutting the 1.5 acres of common ground which I've done now for 11 years.  There are a couple of hotheads in our subdivision, so it's not worth the inevitable argument about what's a fair rate of compensation.

My experience (around here, anyway) is that people serve in positions like HOA Boards for little, if any, financial benefit.  Washington, MO has less than 20,000 residents and is a tight-knit community, plus my subdivision's definitely on the small side, so maybe things are different elsewhere."

Thanks for the reply.  Answered part of my question.

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 11, 2011, 11:11:48 AM
OK, I'm confused...
There's a bad house in the community? The HOA's doing or not doing anything about it? Where does this come into harrasement towards you?

I'm the newly elected President of the HOA in my new subdivision and I'll tell you want, it's a royal pain in the you-know-what. Board members are always either the proverbial "bad-guy" or the guy that's supposed to fix everything. Having to please everyone all the while, more than likely (as in our case), no one else wants to do it.

There are limits to what a HOA board can and can't do. When it comes to legal stuff, the board has to balance the amount of money it's going to cost to take a certain resident to court all the while, being mindful that the money used in this litigation are dues paid by everyone (hopefully), including the board..

Since you are the Prez of a HOA in Texas, would you mind stating whether you pay HOA fees?  I just want to be well informed so that our "newly" elected HOA leaders can't pull a fast one over us.  It's just that I've heard too many horror stories where a HOA member embezzles the HOA "dues."  No offense towards you, of course.

69Charger_440

Oops, looks like Bull already answered that question. 

Thx for all the replies, fellas.   :2thumbs:

Brock Samson

my old ladies' HOA Pres. took all the $ collected to install new roofs and pavement and skipped town, now everybody has to come up with the special assessment fee all over again and then some... Been over a Yr. and he's yet to be found.

moparstuart

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 11, 2011, 12:42:56 PM
my old ladies' HOA Pres. took all the $ collected to install new roofs and pavement and skipped town, now everybody has to come up with the special assessment fee all over again and then some... Been over a Yr. and he's yet to be found.

I have been treasurer for our local mopar car club for almost 20 years now also a non paid mostly thankless job .
We have always made it a requirement of must having two signitures on all checks . No one person ever has access to the money .  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brock Samson

My GF's on the HOA, and i'll ask her the particulars when i see her tonight,
I had a H.S. friend who in the '90s maxed out all his credit cards, bought a new jeep on credit - borrowed every cent he could (Incl. $200 from me) and drove to El Salvador. He's never been heard from since... Perhaps a bit off topic, but it came to mind..

twodko

Hi Skippers,

Sounds like you're already on the right path. The cops are clearly on this. If there is a mutant holding a weapon in the garage in a known tweeker den, I'd be calling the cops night and day. Your HOA sounds crooked and full of themselves. Someone has to secure a position on the HOA gestapo board to represent the views/concerns of those property owners who are solely concerned with the well being of the neighborhood/neighbors and not nit picking s**t as part of their power trip and/or lack of a life. The neighbor with the cam pole is also on the right track IMO. Digi lowlight security cam systems are way cheap now and record on DVR's. The pole thing, while a good idea at the time, is just a weapon the HOA cretins use to f**k with you instead of addressing the real problem.....the tweeker house AND the grandparents who own it. This owner is wholly responsible for what happens in that house and property. The HOA is clearly afraid of the tweekers and rightly so, hence, cops and more cops.
Pardon me, I just lost focus because I'm so angry with Sh*thead crims having more rights than the rest of us!!!!! :icon_smile_angry:
My point with cheap surveillance is that video doesn't lie. Several of you, in the immediate vicinity of this meth palace, should install a multi cam system having a clear view of this viper pit house. I've seen these home cams systems that appear to look like motion sensing driveway lights or porch lights. If the HOA brain trust can't tell what it is, mo betta and f**k 'em anyway (sorry). When several neighbors present several videos of this blight house shot from their homes to the HOA AND police department, the HOA might just be forced to act on behalf of the neighborhood as a whole. Finally, tweekers are very dangerous and should be taken as such. These are "throw away" people who thrash where ever the live. You may have to hire a shyster to deal with this huge problem to have any chance of mitigating it. It seems to me the HOA is liable becuase of this troubled house. A shyster would be all over that and the property owner.
What were the lyrics of that song? ......."Send money, guns and lawyers, the Sh*t has hit the fan". I'm done with my rant now.......gotta switch to decaf.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Brock Samson

:o  Whoa, Tom, why don't ya' tell us how you really feel...  :eek2:

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69Charger_440 on August 11, 2011, 12:38:47 PM
Since you are the Prez of a HOA in Texas, would you mind stating whether you pay HOA fees?  I just want to be well informed so that our "newly" elected HOA leaders can't pull a fast one over us.  It's just that I've heard too many horror stories where a HOA member embezzles the HOA "dues."  No offense towards you, of course.

Yes, the subdivision residences pay an HOA fee, everyone (or, at least that's the way it's supposed to be, we have deadbeats.. But, that's another story). This is to pay for the costs of the up-keep/maintenance of the common areas, community playground, electric for lights, fountain in the pond, etc. I assumed any sort of subdivision with common areas would have some sort of fees associated with the bills associated to the neighborhood.

I totally don't want to run this place like a Nazi. Been on the other side and it isn't fun. Of course, this goes without saying... You'll have those that think living anywhere enables them to do anything they wish, regardless of the quality of life impact it has on surrounding neighbors and/or the fact they signed a document about the HOA at their closing. I wish I could do certain things myself, but know my limits..... I don't want to stereotype, but I believe most HOA members have good intentions. Usually, they learn as they go. There's no instruction manual. And of course, there's always the problem of lack of desire to be part of the program (hence, it's usually a handful of people that end up doing anything).

69Charger_440 & skip68, I wish you well in your situation............. I had to write my 1st "naughty" letter about a yard condition getting out of hand. I hate it... But the alternative is having a home that looks like sh^# then others complain about that..

As others have mentioned, it's probably going to be one of the most thankless volunteer jobs I ever do.....

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

mpdlawdog

Too bad you didnt live closer...I would stop by and check out your charger....maybe I could let Khan play with the neighbors!!!
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

bull

It's just like anything else. Certain people are a good fit for certain positions. Power-hungry a-holes should not be cops, world leaders or HOA presidents. But there are plenty of cops, world leaders and HOA presidents that are giving, kind, sacrificial and intelligent. Those are the ones you rarely hear about.