News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

leak down test

Started by oldschool, May 12, 2008, 02:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschool

what would be a good-bad % reading?
should you do do it with a warm motor?
does it really matter if the piston is right at tdc,or just both valves closed? :icon_smile_question:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

John_Kunkel

The preferred piston position is TDC and both valves must be closed or you'll get 100% leakdown (think about it).

5-10% leakdown is considered good, 20% is OK, anything over 30% is supposed to mean there are problems. I'm sure opinions vary.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

firefighter3931

Like John said the piston must be at the top of the bore and the rocker arms backed off (both valves closed).

I would be happy with 10% or thereabouts.  :2thumbs:

If mine had 20% it would be coming apart for inspection.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

John_Kunkel

I'm very skeptical of the usefulness of leakdown testing, I am from the aircraft maintenance industry where cylinder leakdown testing is often called "the A&P mechanic's full employment insurance test"; 25% leakdown is often cited as the absolute limit and a lot of cylinders are removed from good running engines because of it.

If you look at the procedure, air is passed through a .040" orifice (that's 0.00125 square inches) so any leak or leaks with a combined area equal to that orifice will show 100% leakdown.

Using a 440 as an example, the piston surface area is 14.66 square inches (over 11,000 times larger than the size of the test orifice) so 100% leakdown in a static test could go entirely unnoticed by the motor in the dynamic atmosphere of the running combustion chamber. Blowby is another issue entirely.

I see leakdown testing as a useful tool for finding large leaks like burned valves, broken rings, etc. but I wouldn't condemn an otherwise healthy engine because of excessive leakdown if visual (borescope) testing shows no anomalies.

Stepping down from soapbox.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

firefighter3931

John, i hear what you're saying and i use the leakdown to determine where the leak is coming from. If i hear air coming from the intake manifold or out the exhaust then it's not to difficult to figure out there's a valve sealing problem...burnt valve or burnt seat.

If there is no audible leakage in those areas and it's venting into the crankcase then obviously it's a ring issue and that warrants attention in my books....if it's losing close to 20%

The original poster is asking because his motor is making considerably less power than a couple of others that are identical builds. It was suggested that a leakdown test might shed some light on the situation.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43279.0.html

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oldschool

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 15, 2008, 05:10:45 PM

I'm very skeptical of the usefulness of leakdown testing, I am from the aircraft maintenance industry where cylinder leakdown testing is often called "the A&P mechanic's full employment insurance test"; 25% leakdown is often cited as the absolute limit and a lot of cylinders are removed from good running engines because of it.

If you look at the procedure, air is passed through a .040" orifice (that's 0.00125 square inches) so any leak or leaks with a combined area equal to that orifice will show 100% leakdown.

Using a 440 as an example, the piston surface area is 14.66 square inches (over 11,000 times larger than the size of the test orifice) so 100% leakdown in a static test could go entirely unnoticed by the motor in the dynamic atmosphere of the running combustion chamber. Blowby is another issue entirely.

I see leakdown testing as a useful tool for finding large leaks like burned valves, broken rings, etc. but I wouldn't condemn an otherwise healthy engine because of excessive leakdown if visual (borescope) testing shows no anomalies.

Stepping down from soapbox.

i know exactly what you are saying,as i do a leak down test on my bonanza at every annual.
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp

oldschool

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 15, 2008, 05:59:08 PM
John, i hear what you're saying and i use the leakdown to determine where the leak is coming from. If i hear air coming from the intake manifold or out the exhaust then it's not to difficult to figure out there's a valve sealing problem...burnt valve or burnt seat.

If there is no audible leakage in those areas and it's venting into the crankcase then obviously it's a ring issue and that warrants attention in my books....if it's losing close to 20%

The original poster is asking because his motor is making considerably less power than a couple of others that are identical builds. It was suggested that a leakdown test might shed some light on the situation.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43279.0.html

Ron

ron,i have not done a hot engine test yet.been very busy.when i do i'll post the results.
also going to change the carb.

thanks again for your insight
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp