News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Challenger vs. Mustang Bullit

Started by 472 R/T SE, May 11, 2008, 03:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

I didn't see this posted anywhere.  The Challenger isn't up against the similarly priced GT500 but seems to have done a nice job whippin' up on the Bullit.  It's not the car for me but some may like this.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=125968

69_500

I'm thinking that the should have probably tested it against a Roush Mustang, or something like that rather than the stock GT. Not really a fair evaluation, even if its comes out with the Mopar on top, which I do like.

Troy

The Bullitt edition isn't a stock GT - although it's closer to stock than initially reported. A better comparison would be next year's standard Hemi powered Challenger vs a standard Mustang GT since that's what the large majority of people will have. If you're going to compare an SRT-8 against anything it should be the Shelby GT500KR since those are both the top performance models. I've been trying to catch up on the various facts and rumors and it looks like the Challenger will have an available 6 cylinder and the Camaro will likely have an available 4 cylinder (although it's the one from the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky so it's somewhat performance oriented). Prices should start in the low 20s for all of the base models. Finally we can have some Pony wars again!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Brock Samson

a couple things:

here's the car and driver short test of the Neo-Chally...
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/latest_news_reviews/2008_dodge_challenger_srt8_short_take_road_test/(page)/1

which includes the info that the five speed (they pan BTW) is being replaced by a six speed next Yr.

And,..  in the latest June issue, (not avail. online yet.) they pit a '08 Neo-Charger RT with the optional RT package (i know it's weird they do it like that  :shruggy: ) against the new Pontiac G-8 which is the GM Aussie transplant with a Corvette V-8 and proclaim the Poncho better, mostly because it's interior and features,..

but back to topic, the first C&D chally review above mentions the Ford Stang as not handeling as well as the LX varients...

and,...
this review also from C&D says the GT500 Shelby is seriously overpriced..
at roughtly TWICE the price of the SRT Chally.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/mustang_shelby_central/2008_ford_mustang_shelby_gt500kr_the_most_ridiculously_overpriced_mustang_ever_car_news

472 R/T SE

I received this from my Mom today.  She told me the dealership was getting 11 cars and had a list of 45 folks with a pocket full of money.
She says the SUV market has tanked and they're still selling the 300 & Chargers' like crazy.

The wait is over – the 2009 Model Year Dodge Challenger is available for ordering. We will begin taking orders for R/T and SRT8 models today with SE ordering following shortly. Due to requests from many dealers, we are bringing back Hemi Orange paint on SRT models to assist in moving customers unable to get a 2008 model into a 2009 model.

Pricing and allocations will follow at a later date.

Marketing Highlights

Challenger is back with the essential hardware, styling, and technology desired by today's buyer. The all-new 2009 Dodge Challenger blends the best American muscle-car characteristics – unmistakable design, world-class handling, powerful engines and technology – to delight driving enthusiasts across several generations. The Dodge Challenger is the first five-passenger, two-door coupe produced from Chrysler LLC's proven rear-wheel-drive platform that delivers the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300.

Product Highlights

*       The return of the ultimate American Muscle car – heritage inspired style with state-of-the-art features

*       Essential Hardware – two Hemi engines and two sets of 20" wheels available

*       Essential Styling – Modern classic with heritage styling cues: performance hood, racing style fuel filler door, T/A inspired rear spoiler, dual headlamps

*       Essential Technology – ESP, Ltd Slip Axle, U-connect, MyGig, Keylss Go, Remove Start, NAV

*       Wide Variety of Mopar Accessories allow individual customization

2009 MY Lineup and Standard Equipment Highlights

*       SE Value Model

o 3.5L V6 (250 hp / 250 ft lbs)
o Side Curtain Air Bags
o 17" Aluminum Wheels
o Power Windows, Locks, Mirrors, Remote Keyless Entry
o 8-way Power Driver Seat

*       Volume R/T Model

o 5.7L V8 Automatic (370 hp / 398 ft lbs) Manual (375 hp / 404 ft lbs)
o 18" Machined Aluminum Wheels
o Rear Body Color Spoiler
o Fog Lamps
o Racing Style Gas Cap
o Antilock Brakes, ESP, and Traction Control

*       High Performance SRT8 Model

o 6.1L V8 (425 hp / 420 ft lbs)
o 20 x 9 Forged Aluminum Wheels
o Black Rear Spoiler
o Limited Slip Differential
o Brembo Performance Brakes
o SRT Track Experience

Additional Packages / Features

*       Track Pak (R/T & SRT): 6-speed manual transmission, limited slip rear axle, metal pedals, ESP shut-off switch, pistol grip shifter, hill start assist

*       Decals: hood-to-fender stripe (R/T) and dual hood stripes (SRT8)

*       Three premium audio systems:

o 276 Watt – six speaker Boston Acoustics
o 368 Watt – seven speaker Boston Acoustics
o 522 Watt – thirteen speaker high performance Kicker

Exterior Colors

*       TorRed

*       Inferno Red

*       Hemi Orange (R/T & SRT)

*       B-5 Blue (late availability)

*       Bright Silver

*       Stone White

*       Deep Water Blue

*       Dark Titanium

*       Brilliant Black

694spdRT

A few years ago who would have ever believed you could walk in a dealership and buy a brand new stone white Dodge Challenger.  :drool5:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

66chargerkid

When the v6 convertible 6 speed comes out ill buy it!
The gt500 has a supercharger and a 6 speed. I think the gap would be quite a bit smaller once the 6.1l hemi is backed up buy 6 gears =)
Throw a supercharger on the hemi and no contest =)