News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Cam

Started by 64cubed, May 05, 2008, 09:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64cubed

Well this is my second cam on a fresh 440 build. First one made a bit too much cylinder pressure for pump gas.So after quite a few obstacles I was planning on firing it up Sunday. All that was left Saturday night was the valley pan which I had painted hemi orange. Put some rtv on the heads grabbed the pan started to put it on and it was quickly apparent it was a 383 pan. Man that sucked. Didn't even care that it was 25.00 bucks wasted just bummed the start up was delayed.No one locally had a gasket set.
So no start up till Wednesday night at the earliest. Anyone else here get a bit nervous when breaking in a new cam? :cheers:
Thanks Ron for all the helpĀ  :2thumbs:

onebadmopar

im almost ready to fir   mine for 1st time in 8 years and im very nervouse about all this talk about oils ......so yes im worried :brickwall:

Big Lebowski

Pull the spark plugs. Screw in an aftermarket oil pressure gauge, grab a 3/8" drill, with the priming shaft spinning COUNTER-clockwise, have someone w/ the socket wrench turn the 1-1/2" crank shaft nut clockwise a few turns. You should see 90 lbs. of oil pressure. When it fires up, run it at mid range rpm's for at least 4-5 minutes, don't "idle" your cam during its break in period.  Dude :popcrn:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

RD

make sure you have a high ZDDP additive in your oil or run race formulated oil in your breakin.  telling, better to be safe then sor... well, replacing the cam again.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander