News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Kowalski from “Vanishing Point” Drives Challenger. Again.

Started by Magnumcharger, May 01, 2008, 10:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnumcharger

The article:
http://blogs.motortrend.com/6242701/editorial/kowalski-from-vanishing-point-drives-challenger-again/index.html

What it says:
Lost in many discussions of top auto-themed movies is 1971's "Vanishing Point," starring Barry Newman as "Kowalski" -- Medal of Honor winner in Vietnam, former racer, and disillusioned cop turned car-delivery driver who bets a friend he can ferry a supercharged 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T from Denver to San Francisco in 15 hours. Maxed out on speed (both velocity and pills), Kowalski quickly attracts the attention of the cops, leading them on a multistate chase that ends when . . . well, go buy the DVD.
Since first seeing the picture as a teen, I've been a "Vanishing Point" fan. The film is loaded with iconic American imagery: the vast, untamed West; sun-hardened loners scrabbling out their meager existences amid the unrelenting glare of the desert; the broad-shouldered Challenger R/T taunting limitless skies with its audacious V-8 bellow; and, of course, Kowalski, "the electric centaur, the super driver of the golden West, the last beautiful free soul on this planet."

Though "Vanishing Point" achieved only modest success in the States, it was a huge hit in Europe. No doubt the French understood the movie right away. It's an existentialist thing, see? Kowalski running from the cops is really a metaphor for mankind's enduring struggle to escape the cruelties of the universe while celebrating the power of individual . . . hey, wake up. I was just getting to the really cool car crashes.

While "Bullitt" gets all the attention for its chase scene, it's, what, less than ten minutes long. "Vanishing Point" runs for more than an hour and a half, and for most of that time Kowalski is gunning the Challenger full-tilt -- outrunning cop cars and motorcycles, racing an E-type, jumping over obstacles, and generally behaving as if the infinite roads of the West were one giant amusement park. The man responsible for the thrills: stunt-driving legend Carey Loftin (who was also stunt coordinator on "Bullitt"). "Carey was fantastic," Barry Newman recalls. "They'd say, 'Carey, can you roll this car four times and end up right here?' And he'd just stare back and say, 'Yep.'"

Two years ago, when I had the opportunity to be the first journalist to drive the one-of-a-kind Dodge Challenger concept car, I looked up Barry Newman and asked if he'd like to take a spin in the reincarnated version of the car that helped make him a cult icon. "Sure!" he replied without a moment's hesitation. "Bring it over!" What resulted was a memorable afternoon with the actor (who had gone on to star in the 1970s TV series "Petrocelli" and such films as 1999's "The Limey") -- including reminiscences of the original Challengers, his thoughts on the new concept car (he loved it), plus, ahem, some fabulous stories Newman shared on dating the likes of Raquel Welch, Lynda Carter, and Morgan Fairchild . . .

Thus, when the new, production 2008 Challenger showed up several weeks ago, naturally I rang up Newman again to see if he'd like to see and drive the finished version of Dodge's retro star. "Absolutely!" he replied with that famous Kowalski baritone. This time we brought along our video team; you can watch Barry drive the Challenger here.

Needless to say, he was smitten by the new car. "Brings back a lot of memories," Newman said. "But it's really a far better automobile in every way than the Challengers we drove in 'Vanishing Point.'" After filming our video piece, we swung the Challenger over to the offices of a few movie-producer friends of Newman's. They climbed all over the car, ooohing and aaahing and petting the sheetmetal like kids playing with a tiger kitten. "Fantastic!" said one. Other bedazzled onlookers began spilling out of nearby celebrity eatery The Ivy. For sure, the Challenger is going to be the "It" car –- at least until it becomes a familiar sighting  -- when it hits the streets in late May.

I bade farewell to my friend Barry Newman -– who is currently shooting a pilot for CBS -- but as I drove away, in the rear-view mirror I could see him still standing in the street. There was Kowalski, watching the car and smiling, transported by a Dodge Challenger all over again.

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

moparmusclecars

I think its so awesome to see him behind the wheel of that new SRT-8. Thanks for sharing this. Lyle

71ChallengeHer

C_stripes

I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

gordo1968charger

barry newman rocks.
i bet peter fonda turned down the chance to drive a "new" charger :yesnod:
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Ghoste

Wow, that's cool.  I like the way that even though he's clearly much older, Barry Newman still has the exact same look in his eye and his mouth set the same way.

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Kevin68N71

Newman does come across as a nice guy.  A couple of points.

I have seen the movie three times, the last time many years ago. There is a spot in the movie where he tells some guy what the motor is in his car, or I think, "what he is running".  I NEVER seem to be able to hear what that is, always miss it.

Second, during the interview, more than once, Newman mentions these were 383 cars.  Now, if I remember correctly, 383s WERE available in R/T Challengers, even 340s were available in R/T Challengers.  In fact, I believe Challengers were the ONLY R/Ts that were not standard with 440s.

Newman's car was an R/T, I always assumed it was a 440.

Newman also mentioned that there was more than one car, and that ONE of them was a 425.  Do you think he was mistaken and meant 440, or the 425hp Hemi?

I will have to go scout around some Vanishing Point web sites, but I thought this was all interesting to chew on here.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Ghoste

The 383 was the base RT engine and there may have been 383's in stunt cars or something but I thought the hood said "426 HEMI" on it?

Kevin68N71

Interesting reading....

Two sources I have found indicated 5 cars used.  4 were 440 cars, one 383 car.  There was no 426 Hemi car used.

Although 4 of the 5 cars used during the production were ruined (I wonder which one survived) the car that smashes into the bulldozers at the end is a CAMARO!

You can go to youtube and see the ending, and if you freeze frame it just right, there it is, a white 1967 Camaro.  It was evidently pulled by a cable into the bulldozers (by the 383 car), and was loaded with explosives.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

blackcharger

there were 4 cars used in the original. 3 were 440 4 speeds, and one 383 auto, which they used to tow the Camaro hulk into the dozers.

694spdRT

Quote from: Kevin68N71 on May 02, 2008, 09:26:23 AM
I have seen the movie three times, the last time many years ago. There is a spot in the movie where he tells some guy what the motor is in his car, or I think, "what he is running".  I NEVER seem to be able to hear what that is, always miss it.

In the conversation in the parking lot Kowalski responds that "it is hopped up to over 160" or something along that line.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Charger_Fan

Thanks for posting the article & pics, that's pretty cool! :icon_smile_cool:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

pettyfan43

THere is ALSO a shot in the movie, taken from the left side where the camera pans down the side of the car and you can read (REALLY Quickly) the "Magnum" part of the hood nameplate.

Ghoste

Watching it again tonight and so far there is a scene at 23:23 right after he runs the motorcycle cops off the road and after he wrecks his way through the construction site and then again at 43:57 just after the two cops Charlie and whoever roll that Polara into the ditch trying to catch him where the dvd can be stopped and 440 Magnum can be seen very clearly on the hood.
And again at 53:40 after the old man catches the rattlesnake it is still 440 Magnum.

71gtx

there are no 1970 340 Challengers rt   

you get 70 rt challenger with a 383 4bbl 440 4bbl 4406bbl 426 hemi its a js

you can 340 in challenger but is not rt itsa jh in the vin

in 1971 you get a 340 challenger rt :2thumbs:

gordo1968charger

what does hopped up to over 160 mean?
in the viggo version itsa 426 hemi
the original i always thought was a 440
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

694spdRT

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

bull

What?! I thought he died when his car hit the bulldozers????