News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

REAREND REBUILD, NEED HELP

Started by cpthowdy1369, April 25, 2008, 06:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpthowdy1369

Hey guys, I have taken the 3.23 gears out of the 489 case and cleaned them all up, and replaced the bearings and races.  I am trying to put this thing back together but I've got a problem.  I am using the same yoke and pinion that I took out but now, I cant get them to go back together.  I even tried to beat the pinion into the yoke with a hammer and a block of wood but it doesn't work,  the pinion still only goes in so far then stops.  Am I doing something wrong?  Does the pinion only go into the yoke one way ?  How do I get these two back together?
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!

histoy

Did you purchase a new pinion crush sleeve for the rebuild?

cpthowdy1369

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!

Chatt69chgr

The pinion has a splined shaft on the end that can either be coarse or fine splines.  One is 10 spline and I think the other is 29 spline.  You should never have to beat the pinion yoke onto the pinion.  That may not be what you are describing.  Now as you tighten the pinion nut, you will crush the crush sleeve.  You have to be able to hold the pinion still while you tighten the nut.  And if you exceed the preload, then you have to use a new crush sleeve.  You will have to use a new one also if the backlash on the ring and pinion are not correct.  You installed new bearings on the pinion shaft.  Are they not fitting into the third member case?  If this is the problem, maybe they sold you the wrong bearings.  I assume you still have the old ones so you could compare the diameter of the two.  I am just thinking out loud here trying to come up with ideas. 

Putting together these rear ends takes practice and special tool.  You can get one back together yourself but it may or may not be correct.  The ring and pinion won't last long if it isn't.  And they are expensive.  That's why I think its best to source the parts and then let a expert do the assembly.