News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Recreating the Ernie Derr 1969 Charger in 1:18 Scale

Started by B5 Charger, April 24, 2008, 02:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5 Charger

My Dad and I have been working on recreating IMCA stock car champion Ernie Derr's 1969 Charger.  Things have been moving pretty slow because most items have to be fabricated or modified to fit the Ertl Charger chassis.  One thing we are having trouble with is recreating the decals.  We can recreate them just fine but there are a couple we just can't identify.  If there's any old timers out there who can help out I would appreciate it.  I'll try to post some pics as the project progresses.  I've included a pic of the overall car and a close-up of one of the mystery decals.

JimShine

I have nothing better to do at the moment, so i did 3 minutes of research. I would say its an old Northland Oil logo.

moparstuart

my buddy milt woods says talk to this guy, I will PM you his email address

Send that thread of the Ernie Derr car to John Johnson. He has one of his cars in has shop.

Milt

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

B5 Charger

Thanks JimShine that looks like the right one we just couldn't read what it said.  I hate to email a guy I don't know but i'd love to see this car in person.  I've seen the magazine articles but there's nothing like the real thing. 

Mike DC

Does anybody have an old thread link or a webpage source for some pics of Ernie Derr's car?  I always wanted to see that thing and I missed the magazine issue it was in. 

B5 Charger

Here are some preliminary pics of the car.  Dad will be stripping this one down to bare metal again to fix the decals, relocate the gas filler hole, etc.  We're also still working on the Hemi, exhaust, chassis, and numerous other things to make them as accurate as possible.  Been working on it for about two months now.

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Brock Samson

looks great BTW: nothing says "NASCAR" like a radiused front wheel well..  :icon_smile_wink:

BigBlackDodge

The 1998 December issue of Mopar Action had a nice article on Derr.............several pics of the '69 that some how survived (beat up, dented, broke windshield........a time capsule really!). Lots of pics of the interior and such.

BBD

JimShine

B5 Charger

There's a MCG article out there too but I can't remember what issue.

tan top

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on April 25, 2008, 10:43:19 PM
The 1998 December issue of Mopar Action had a nice article on Derr.............several pics of the '69 that some how survived (beat up, dented, broke windshield........a time capsule really!). Lots of pics of the interior and such.

BBD

yep remember that :yesnod: ..what a awesome find that would of been ..made for some good reading  :popcrn: :yesnod:
yeah broked windshield ..even still had the chunk of mud in it i think  :yesnod: :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

UFO

Magnumcharger

Great job!!
I like it when people do unique things....especially with 1/18 scale diecast!! :2thumbs:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

The Kid

B5 Charger

Need opinions on this exhaust.  Does it look correct?  I still need to make an aluminum shield for the pipes as they exit out the side.  Ernie' pipes come out the P/S on all the photo's we've seen.

billssuperbird

BlaineKaiser450

1969 Plymouth Satellite - 440 - 727 - 3.73 - 8 3/4 Suregrip

1993 Dodge W350 Dually

1999 F250 7.3

Chatt69chgr

I don't think you can buy decals like the ones shown on the car.  What's involved in making your own 1:18 scale decals?

B5 Charger

Need some more help with decal identification.  We've got three different years going at the same time now '68, '69 & '70.  Were trying to identify the decals circled.  One looks like a MOOG chassis sticker to me and the other I have no idea.  Dad figured out how to radius the front fenders so that's done.  More progress pic's to follow.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Ghoste

Like a lot of those race cars, Ernie's 69 changed around a little even through the season of use.  I have a few pics of it as it was "discovered" in 1998.  I'll scan them and post them for you but I don't know if they'll be much help.

Ghoste

Here's one shot of the side and as you can see the decals are different than the other pics.

Ghoste

The trunk and fuel cell.

Ghoste