News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone tried out craigslist to sell instead of Ebay?

Started by bull, October 13, 2005, 12:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Just wondering. This site seems to be picking up some steam because it's free. I don't know what kind of protection they can offer but Ebay's is pretty lame anyway according to what I read here.

http://www.craigslist.org/

RD

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

nh_mopar_fan

I've bought and sold some stuff on there.

I got my current commuter vehicle, 2002 Sebring ragtop with 46K off craigslist for $8500.

No protections whatsoever on there though.

Steve P.

Looks like it's 90% California stuff there... I wish we had something like that in Florida...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

nh_mopar_fan

Steve P.

Thank's NH. I didn't scroll to the side the first time. I'll check it out.... Tanks again.............
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

:lol: About 5 1/2 years ago I started this thread asking if anyone had heard of craigslist. Well, have you? Lol.

I used to buy and sell stuff all the time on there, being in the bay area helps I think as the selection is better. I think it's far superior to purchase then ebay as everything is reasonably local so you can actually stop in and see before you buy, and you don't have the last second bidders.

I got my daily driver (fuel guzzler) 1977 F150 4x4 from Craigslist DIRT CHEAP....  

bill440rt

I've sold lots of things on Craigslist, even bought a few. Best thing about it is that it's mostly local buyers. Don't have to deal with the hassle of stupid eBay & Paypal fees.
It's good for general items, but for something unique I've found eBay is better.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Patronus

Just be sure to bring some back-up when you go look at something. And if its $$ bring some real back-up. :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

TruckDriver

I've sold a few things there. Mostly car parts and computer stuff. More then anything, I hate all the spam emails you get when you list.  :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

chargergirl

I have bought and sold stuff on craigslist. Mark the spam people as that on gmail account and never have to deal with them again. Meet folks in a central area when possible; smaller parts and such. It's a great venue just as always, buyer/seller beware. Lot's of folks put pics up of what they are selling and are on the up and up...some are just strange! We actually post our rentals and real estate on that site and get an amazing amount of phone calls.
Trust your Woobie!

I've never had any spam from Craiglist... Only a few of typical shipping agent scam attempts while selling a car. I've sold two cars in under a week with CL... an 84 T-bird Elan in 3 days and a 91 Lincoln LSC in a week (bought the LSC from craiglist).

I wish I kept the T-bird though (one of the best cars I've owned).... And funny enough I bought the LSC to put the HO 5.0 into the Tbird, but the neighbors complained I had too many cars and the T-bird sold before I had a chance to cool off and change my mind.....  :bawling:

PocketThunder

Craigslist is the only place i shop now.  Just bought a used Dyson vacuum cleaner off CL and its in sweet shape!  Save myself $450...   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69charger440

I love craigslist!! I bought a 440 six pack setup for 500 buck, and bought a brand new 500 stroker with edelbrock heads for 1500..  I always do go when I go on craigslist.
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

nvrbdn

everything ive needed to get rid of has gone to craigs list. get calls fast and the stuff sells fast. just bought a 2009 camper shell for my small truck on craigs list for 150.00 it didnt have a scratch on it. great place to shop and sell.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Brock Samson

It was the late '90s when cl started here, a guy in the office sent out an office e-mail about this useful local site, there were just a dozen catagories mostly cars, applancies, service, and furnature and i bought a coffee table for $30.oo which is right over there...  =>   No personals back then. Nope.

Now?. oh Gawd!  :eek2: :shruggy:  :lol:

There was something else around about that time that caught my attention called "google" I thought of buying in when they did their IPO, instead i finished up the Charger...   :shruggy:   :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigslist

Anyone ever do or even remember the Craiglist send a message into space or whatever it was?

Hell, I can't even remember.... 

hemi68charger

They both have their pro's and con's....
I like using craigslist initially. If I can sell the parts locally for the same price and not have to worry about it, the whole process is easier (don't have to worry about shipping). I've sold intakes and heads via my local Houston craigslist...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bull

I know craigslist has all but decimated classified businesses like Auto Trader and Nickle Ads and has put a serious dent in the amount of revenue newspapers used to pull in.

Brock Samson

The Circ. of my old paper went from 550K plus in '97 to 225K this Yr. the want ads used to be an entire section 7-10 pages, now it's maybe two. Papers made their $ from Adverts. But now the Biz. Model has them making Money from Subscriptions.. with those numbers you can see why they laid off/forced out 3/4 of the work force. me included.

bull

Yup, and while CL is beating up on the classified revenue the internet in general is beating up on the news section. Small, local papers will probably be able to survive better than the big papers but the internet has definitely caused the end of newspapers as we know them.

Brock Lee

I have bought and sold a few things on it (just scored a key cutting machine last night). In terms of selling, I have had a few headaches with it. Some people think they can "play the game" and when you attempt to walk, they get insulted you wont "play along". If I have to drive and meet someone and i listed the item at my best price, take a hint after 5 minutes you aren't going to beat me down and put up or shut up. It is hard for some to grasp that. There have been a few weirdos too that assumed they were buying my friendship with their purchase. On top of that, I think the money is not as good as ebay. But no shipping and cash is a huge plus.

1969chargerrtse

I have a little.  Great site.  I use the free section all the time.  My wife wanted a tread Mill, I found a free one within a week.  I lost 3 others before I was fast enough to get mine.  I just kept refreshing the page until I found one.  Now it sits all folded up doing nothing in my bedroom.  :P The guy said as he was talking to me, emails were flying in.  On the flip side why throw out stuff others can use?  Free t.v's are always listed.  Many 54" projection TV's get listed.  Here's our free New Haven Ct link.  Wanna really have fun go on the personals, OMG.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/zip/

Here's a neat FREE!! 42" t.v listed right now.  :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

nvrbdn

yea i got a bike listed right now. pass on overtime tonight to show it to him. he tried to beat me down last night on the phone and he looks at the bike for an hour then tells his friend that he better ask his G.F. first and will call me later :brickwall: i was only asking 500.00 oh well whatever.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House