News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear End

Started by Blacknight, April 22, 2008, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blacknight

I just got my headers and three inch exhaust installed. I just found out the rearend is a 7 1/4. I want to get a 8 3/4 rearend with posi not sure on what gear ratio i should go. I am trying to build a street strip car. Can anyone recommend a gear ratio and were  i can get a complete 3rd member 8 /34. Thanks   

myk

You can always go and buy 'diff stuff online from vendors, or scour the junkyards.  I believe there's a post in here about identifying the various 'diffs and whatnot.  Keep in mind though, that gear ratios need to be coordinated with the 'cam profile and torque convertor also.  Failure to do that will give you a dog of a car like mine!

The Kid

It depends. We'd need more info about your setup to properly reccomend the right gear. Also, whether you want to be able to cruise at 60mph+ on the freeway is also a deciding factor.

Generally, if you still want to be able to cruise on the highway you'd be probably better suited with a 3.55 gear set. However, if your crusing the street you'd be able to get away with 3.91's or even 4.10's.

Like I said, more info is needed.

mikesbbody

great advice from myke, and the kid. I have 3.55's I have driven cars with 3.23's or 2.9's and they feel slow. I do very little highway driving i have a set of 3.9's and a spare 8.3/4 limited slip but i dont know if i will use that over the 3.55's