News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stock valvetrain with Edelbrock Heads?

Started by flyinlow, April 21, 2008, 07:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I am building a mild street 440 , 030 over ,10.6 cr., with Edelbrock rpm heads. I was going to use a Lunati voodoo cam .494/513 lift (60303). 6000 RPM MAX. will the stock rocker and pushrods work ?

firefighter3931

Sure...that'll work just fine.  :yesnod:  I would look at upgrading the stock stuff ; chrome moly pushrods and the Heavy duty stamped rockers.

Mancini Racing carries this stuff  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chatt69chgr

Would you replace the rocker shaft at the same time as a matter of course.  Or do these things hold up pretty good.  I would think you could inspect for wear and/or scoring and then measure the diameter of the original rocker shaft to see if it could be reused.  Is this what you would recommend?  Any idea what the stock diameter of the shaft is?  I see that Mopar Performance sells new rocker shafts.  They are about $54 each from numerous sources. 

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on April 22, 2008, 01:57:18 PM
Would you replace the rocker shaft at the same time as a matter of course.  Or do these things hold up pretty good.  I would think you could inspect for wear and/or scoring and then measure the diameter of the original rocker shaft to see if it could be reused.  Is this what you would recommend?  Any idea what the stock diameter of the shaft is?  I see that Mopar Performance sells new rocker shafts.  They are about $54 each from numerous sources. 

Chatt, the answer is it depends. I've reused stock shafts before if they were in good shape and not galled up. Roll them on a flat surface to make sure they're not warped and test fit the new rocker arms to see if there is excessive play. If they pass this test then go ahead and reuse them....if not, replace with fresh shafts.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chatt69chgr

Thanks.  Got the heavy duty stamped rockers ordered today.  I think one of the two sets of shafts I have will be OK.

In surfing the net, I found a dealer that does mail order:

www.monicattichrysler.com

that has real good prices.  They beat everybody.  Listed the P4529743, hydraulic rocker arm package at $74.50 +S&H.  (I didn't order from them since my dealer beat it slightly-----they kind of take care of Mopar nuts).

Will hold off on the push rods until I get the engine assembled and determine the pushrod length with a "checker" pushrod.