News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

496 stroker project begins

Started by General_01, April 19, 2008, 08:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

EDM Lifters are NOT going to hurt Oil Pressure.

It's not that you can't still run the stock Lifters(without the oiling holes), and the proper additives,

it's just that the EDM's provide far superior Oiling, and with TODAY's Oils,

well,

your call.

Like Ron said, you been warned.

I'd Run the EDM Lifters.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

General_01

Yahoo!!! Just got the call today. We will do the dyno run next Monday. Can't wait to hear this motor run. My clutch and flywheel should be here next week also. Hopefully this car will be running by August. I will post results next week.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

firefighter3931

Quote from: General_01 on July 07, 2008, 10:26:21 PM
Yahoo!!! Just got the call today. We will do the dyno run next Monday. Can't wait to hear this motor run. My clutch and flywheel should be here next week also. Hopefully this car will be running by August. I will post results next week.

Cool  :icon_smile_cool:

Looking forward to the dyno numbers  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oldschool

Quote from: General_01 on May 23, 2008, 11:57:28 AM
Just a little update for everyone. I took the last of the parts the shop needs to them yesterday. They were the head bolts, crank bolt, and windage tray and distributor.. I got a good deal on an AED 950 carb, so I went that route instead of a Proform. We will see how it works out. If I don't like it, I can change it out next year.

I was told the block looks good after the magnaflux and will bore out no problem. He will give me a call when it is ready to dyno and I will bring him the carb then and watch it get dynoed.

Now I need to start getting the 383 in the car pulled out and the engine bay ready. I am guessing 2-3 weeks before I get the engine back. That will be next weeks project. This weekend will be spent getting the garage cleaned up to make room for the engine swap.

Have a good Memorial Day weekend everyone.

i use AED carbs and birchwood spacers on all of my cars,i love them.
they are always real close right out of the box.
i also run one of their street dominators (cnc'd) on my 572",and it is awesome,with awesome idle and street driveabilty.
they really know carbs.the customer service is outstanding too! :drive:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

oldschool

Quote from: General_01 on June 25, 2008, 09:50:13 PM
Holy Cow!!! :on It's been a month since the last post. I talked to the builder yesterday. He had me order up some different lifters. I ordered up the the Howards lifters with the hole in the bottom for lubing. My engine builder told me that he was worried that these type of lifters would affect the oil pressure. I went with his suggestion because if anything happens I don't want him to have anything to blame. He had me order up the Mopar lifter P28431777 from Mancini. I also need to drop off the rocker arm hold downs. I forgot they were not in the rocker kit. After he gets the lifters he can measure the pushrod length and order them. Then we will be off to the dyno soon after.

I also sent my 4 speed out to be rebuilt by Lofgrens here in Minneapolis. I need 3rd gear and all the brass. I am also going to order up a McCloed Twin Street clutch assembly and flywheel. Already got that look from the wife about all the money going into this project(you married guys know what I'm talking about  :D). Hopefully she won't kill me in my sleep until after I get to drive this thing once. :icon_smile_big:

Hopefully will have updates to post before August.

that mccloed street twin is a good clutch.got them in all of my heavy cars.
all behind big motors.one of them is over 10 years old,with no problems,and i pound the crap out of them! :yesnod:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

General_01

Well, I couldn't get Monday off, so I rescheduled for next Friday. He called today and asked if I would come in next Saturday morning instead. One of his customers is drag racing next weekend and he wanted to have his engines dynoed before he leaves. I said no problem. So I won't have any dyno numbers until next weekend. I can see the finish line, but it keeps moving. :icon_smile_big:

Hey oldschool, glad to here the clutch setup works well. First time I will use them, but I have heard nothing but good about them.
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Dyno numbers are in and they look great. He did 3 pulls. The first one was a short small run. He tried to do a true pull on the second one, but the carb wasn't right. It was running rich. He changed the jetting of the primary and secondary. He said they were about 4 sizes to big. They have 74-82 main jets now. 35* timing.

Thanks for all the help Ron. I asked him what he thought it might hit. He said he had seen 540 HP, but that was with an Edelbrock Performer. He thought this intake might be to small. Guess he knows better now. :icon_smile_big:

496 stroker
4-speed

firefighter3931

Congrats....those are outstanding numbers for a 383  :D

Ok, maybe thers a little majic going on in there  :icon_smile_big:

On a serious note the numbers are superb....nice flat torque curve and the HP is carrying well into the 6k range. You can't ask for more than that out of a pump gas street build  :smoke:

The Street Dominator is working exactly as it should. You taught him a thing or two about BB Mopar power.  :cheers:

Before you fire it up again swap out the oil and filter to purge the assembly lube and bearing material that is floating around in your oil. Use a bottle of GM EOS and a napa gold filter and some valvoline VR1 20/50 racing oil. Repeat at 500 miles then normal intervals afterwards.  :2thumbs:

When you get a chance post a comprehensive parts list and this one can be archived in the proven combo's section.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

Oh yeah.....   :2thumbs:

Looks like another winning combo.. Can't wait to see it all in a single post all together and archived.. All this and a lighter and lower motor to boot.....  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

:cheers:  Steve
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

General_01

Thanks Ron & Steve. I will change the oil when I get her to the house. I went up for the dyno run, but my soccer team had a game today so I will pick it up later.

Also, I posted a list of engine items and the dyno sheet in the Proven Combo's section already. If you would like me to put it here and move the whole thread there I can do that too.

Here is the other thread:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,46587.new.html#new
496 stroker
4-speed

Steve P.

No no.. Proven Combo's is exactly where it belongs. Maybe just add a link to it from here..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

General, i didn't see your new post in the Proven Combo's section.  :P

Thanks for detailing the build....it will help others contemplating something similar.  :2thumbs:

So, when are we gonna see some tire smoke !  :lol:

Ron

General_01

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 19, 2008, 09:31:57 PM

Ron

The engine should be in the car sometime in August. Don't know if I will be smoking tires right away. I will probably baby it for a bit. :icon_smile_big:
496 stroker
4-speed

firefighter3931

Quote from: General_01 on July 19, 2008, 09:35:27 PM

Ron

The engine should be in the car sometime in August. Don't know if I will be smoking tires right away. I will probably baby it for a bit. :icon_smile_big:

Even babying it you will see lots of smoke....man are you in for a shock !  :lol:

Ron

PocketThunder

Holy Moly   :o

Let me know when its time to drop it in the Bee..   :yesnod:

Paul
in Minnetonka
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Steve P.

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 19, 2008, 10:08:17 PM
Quote from: General_01 on July 19, 2008, 09:35:27 PM

Ron

Even babying it you will see lots of smoke....man are you in for a shock !  :lol:

Ron

OH YEAH............   

I was talking to a guy not long ago that said he was about to get his five hundred and some odd cubic inch stroker back from the machine shop in another week. He said the plan was set around a 550 HP build.. Here's the good part...  He has owned the body that this monster is going into since high school and he's around 45 now.. The body has been going through some major mods getting ready for the motor at a place in St. Pete. So ok, he's going on about it, then he tells me it's a 1969 Chevy Nova that had the original STRAIGHT SIX in it.... Then he says his truck is a six also!!!!!   I am just pissing my pants telling him he better not eat for a few days before he drops the hammer in this car or he will have some OTHER restoring to do..  I was in shock... I asked him how he was going from NO power to a monster stroker. He said he allllways wanted power and was tired of everything he has ever owned being a wimp... Man is he going to flip........
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

General_01

A slant 6 to a 550 HP build. He will get quite the eye opener. The reason I built this motor was because I didn't want to do the opposite. I had a 440 with some pretty good go power and I did not want to revert back to a stock 383.

On a similar note, when I bought the Bee in 1989 and flew out to Montana to get it, I had a little BB shock too. My '74 Charger that I was driving at the time had a 318 with a 4 barrel and headers, automatic, and an open rear end. I went from that to a pretty stout 440, 4-speed and sure-grip.  :o What an eye opener that was. And I thought my 318 was a pretty good mover. :smilielol:
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Well, I finally picked the motor up today.Now I just need to get started with the engine swap so I can drive this thing. Here are some pics of the motor.

496 stroker
4-speed

Steve P.

In the words of Cheech Marin,  LOOKEEN GOOOOD................ 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Sweeeeet  :2thumbs:  :drool5:

Make sure you get some breathers on those valvecovers....you don't want to blow them off and dent up your hood.  ;)

Ron

General_01

Thanks guys. I will be putting breather caps on it. I thought painting the block black would look pretty cool inside the yellow engine bay. My daughters birthday is this weekend, so I probably won't get to start working on it until next week. Hopefully the car will be in the garage by this weekend.
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Well, today I finally got the Bee out of the shed and into the garage. The old 383 in it started up and I was able to drive it into the garage. The last tabs on the plates are '04. Here is a pic of the 383 that is going to come out. This engine will be for sale along with the TCI 727 bolted to it when I get it out. It is just a stock 383. It smokes a bit, but I have a set of rebuilt heads for it.

496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Well I was finally able to get started with the project. Today I removed some parts to get it ready for removal. Here are some pics of my progress. You have already seen the before pic above. Here is the after pic.

496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Also pulled out the 7 blade fan.

496 stroker
4-speed

Steve P.

Time for some body color while that motor is out...   No more GM look...  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida