News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

496 stroker project begins

Started by General_01, April 19, 2008, 08:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_01

Went and picked up the 383 this morning with my cousin Heath. Got a few brand new parts with it. I will be dropping off the block at the machine shop this week to let them check it out and fix what needs to be fixed. Here is the list of parts and some pics of what I got.

-68 383 block bored .030 over
-crank that will need to be cleaned up
-2951250 heads with new springs and valves
-New in box (NIB) Black wrinkle Mopar Performance valve covers
-NIB Summit Harmonic Damper #168383
-NIB valley pan
-NIB stock rocker arms MP#P4529477
-NIB stock pushrods MP#P4529557
-NIB Edelbrock cam and lifter kit #2192
-NIB Sealed Power rings
-NIB Clevite rod bearings
-NIB gasket kit
-new melling high volume oil pump
-new Keith Black pistons already pressed onto stock rods
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

More pics.

496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

More pics. Sorry, just a little excited about starting this project.

496 stroker
4-speed

PocketThunder

Excellent!   :2thumbs:   I'll wait till you build your engine before i build mine so i can go 1" bigger.   :icon_smile_big:

Sorry i couldnt go with today, we have been busy with selling our house, but now we will live closer to you guys.

Paul
in St. Paul ( but not for long)
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

General_01

I kinda figured you were busy, especially when I saw you sold the house. Now you have to find something to move to. And what do you mean by closer? Minnetonka is a lot farther away dude. :icon_smile_big:
496 stroker
4-speed

firefighter3931

Looks like an excellent start General  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

General_01

Thanks Ron. Some of these thingas are gonna be sold. The cam kit is goona go. The heads are gonna go. The push rods and rockers are gonna go. And the Keith Black pistons and stock rods are gonna go. I just gotta get situated and put them up for sale. I forgot a pic of the pistons and rods. Here they are.

496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

First, I have to apologize to Ron. He gave me some advise and I was going to follow it, but I didn't. I called 440 Source and talked with them about getting a kit with custom pistons at .040 over. I was told they could order them from Ross, but it would be another $400+ dollars and about a 7-10 week wait. I didn't really want to do either of them, so I ordered up the .060 over kit. I had to go with the I beam rods for $70 more because they were out of the H beams. Not a big deal. I was going to do that anyways. It is supposed to be balanced on Friday and shipped out Monday. So I should have it here by May 5th, if not sooner. I think the waiting for the pistons was my biggest decision maker. Hopefully not listening to Ron won't put me in the doghouse. :icon_smile_blackeye:
496 stroker
4-speed

General_01

Well, I have been ordering parts for the project so I thought I would show what I have gotten so far. I am still waiting for my windage tray and my aluminum water pump and housing. Hopefully they will be here some time next week.

496 stroker
4-speed

firefighter3931

Very nice general  :2thumbs: I see a Holley SD intake manifold  :icon_smile_big:

Keep your eyes open for an upcoming post on  a mild 512 ci "Stealth" head build complete with dyno results.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Mfr426

Hey Ron, are you referring to someone that I know here?

:scratchchin:

I hope to post early this week...

General_01

The SD looks real nice. VegasMike still had it and he beadblasted it so it looks like new. I forgot to put my black wrinkle valve covers in the pic.

I will keep my eye open for the dyno results.

I have learned something new from this experience. Next time I think I will buy a complete engine if I want to do something like this. It is definately cheaper to leave something the way it is and just order replacement parts than to totally change everthing wholesale on an engine.  :icon_smile_blackey I also say this because I had an oppertunity to get a rebuilt 440 from a builder nearby for about what I have in the engine so far. And I have not paid the builder anything yet, so live and learn. Impulsive behaviour is not a good thing when dealing with cars.

Don't get me wrong, I will love the new engine, and all these feelings will go away the first time I lay rubber for a block and a half. I am just kicking myself a little because I didn't really think this out before I started so I am the only one to blame. I plan on having my engine dynoed when it's done, so I should have results on this build after it is done also.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I appreciate it.
496 stroker
4-speed

375instroke

Quote from: General_01 on May 11, 2008, 09:43:20 AM
Impulsive behaviour is not a good thing when dealing with cars.
That's why it's going on 15 years now to find another Charger that I like and I have three Darts now.  :'(

firefighter3931

Quote from: General_01 on May 11, 2008, 09:43:20 AM
I also say this because I had an oppertunity to get a rebuilt 440 from a builder nearby for about what I have in the engine so far. And I have not paid the builder anything yet, so live and learn. Impulsive behaviour is not a good thing when dealing with cars.

Don't get me wrong, I will love the new engine, and all these feelings will go away the first time I lay rubber for a block and a half. I am just kicking myself a little because I didn't really think this out before I started so I am the only one to blame. I plan on having my engine dynoed when it's done, so I should have results on this build after it is done also.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I appreciate it.

General, i wouldn't be to concerned with the extra expenditure....it will be most definately worth it.  ;)

You can't really compare a 440 to a 500in stroker, there's a huge difference.  :icon_smile_big: Having all new parts and a fresh build that is properly scienced out also creates a better sense of security and piece of mind.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron

General_01

Just a little update for everyone. I took the last of the parts the shop needs to them yesterday. They were the head bolts, crank bolt, and windage tray and distributor.. I got a good deal on an AED 950 carb, so I went that route instead of a Proform. We will see how it works out. If I don't like it, I can change it out next year.

I was told the block looks good after the magnaflux and will bore out no problem. He will give me a call when it is ready to dyno and I will bring him the carb then and watch it get dynoed.

Now I need to start getting the 383 in the car pulled out and the engine bay ready. I am guessing 2-3 weeks before I get the engine back. That will be next weeks project. This weekend will be spent getting the garage cleaned up to make room for the engine swap.

Have a good Memorial Day weekend everyone.
496 stroker
4-speed

firefighter3931

Cool....sounds like it's coming together.  :icon_smile_cool: The AED's are nice carbs....it should work fine on your motor  :2thumbs:

What cam did you decide on ?

Ron

General_01

I went with the one you suggested. The XS290S as well as the Howards lifters. I should say that is what I ordered. I checked the side of the box and it said XE290S, but the part number 21-233-4 matched the catalog number for the XS as well as the specs and they all matched and I could not find a XE290S in their online catalog. Not sure if they changed the XS and XE designation recently.  I am sure it is a solid because of the S at the end. The Hydraulics have an H at the end. I think the date they ground the cam was September of last year.
496 stroker
4-speed

Mick70RR

That's the cam I'm running in my stroker and I like it. Idles at 800rpm with a nice lope and 10 inches of vacuum. Seems to be some confusion on the Comp website as to what it's called but the XS290S and XE290S are the same cam.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

General_01

Thanks Mick70RR. I was hoping for some confirmation on that. Sounds like it will be a good cam.
496 stroker
4-speed

firefighter3931

Yep, the S at the end of the cam # denotes solid lifter.  ;)

That should work out really well General.....lotsa torque and top end charge.  :2thumbs:

Ron

General_01

Holy Cow!!! :on It's been a month since the last post. I talked to the builder yesterday. He had me order up some different lifters. I ordered up the the Howards lifters with the hole in the bottom for lubing. My engine builder told me that he was worried that these type of lifters would affect the oil pressure. I went with his suggestion because if anything happens I don't want him to have anything to blame. He had me order up the Mopar lifter P28431777 from Mancini. I also need to drop off the rocker arm hold downs. I forgot they were not in the rocker kit. After he gets the lifters he can measure the pushrod length and order them. Then we will be off to the dyno soon after.

I also sent my 4 speed out to be rebuilt by Lofgrens here in Minneapolis. I need 3rd gear and all the brass. I am also going to order up a McCloed Twin Street clutch assembly and flywheel. Already got that look from the wife about all the money going into this project(you married guys know what I'm talking about  :D). Hopefully she won't kill me in my sleep until after I get to drive this thing once. :icon_smile_big:

Hopefully will have updates to post before August.
496 stroker
4-speed

Steve P.

Sounds like a great build. Yes, I know about those LOOKS...  :flame:  Just don't forget to take her out for a nice dinner and for whatever kind of a night out she most likes. Sometimes we get sooooo hooked on our cars we forget the better half or just take her for granted.. BIG MISTAKE..  :icon_smile_blackeye: 

Keep the info. coming...     :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: General_01 on June 25, 2008, 09:50:13 PM
I talked to the builder yesterday. He had me order up some different lifters. I ordered up the the Howards lifters with the hole in the bottom for lubing. My engine builder told me that he was worried that these type of lifters would affect the oil pressure.

Is he going to warrenty the motor if it eats a camshaft ? I'd get that in writing before letting him touch the motor again.  :Twocents:

Lots of folks are running the EDM lifters with excellent results. There is absolutely NO REASON not to run them.  :brickwall:

You've been warned.....proceed at your own risk  :yesnod:

Ron

Charger-Bodie

I personally think that the lobe lubing lifters are one of the best things to come along for mopar engines in MANY years !! Just sayin :yesnod:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

oldschool

Quote from: General_01 on June 25, 2008, 09:50:13 PM
Holy Cow!!! :on It's been a month since the last post. I talked to the builder yesterday. He had me order up some different lifters. I ordered up the the Howards lifters with the hole in the bottom for lubing. My engine builder told me that he was worried that these type of lifters would affect the oil pressure. I went with his suggestion because if anything happens I don't want him to have anything to blame. He had me order up the Mopar lifter P28431777 from Mancini. I also need to drop off the rocker arm hold downs. I forgot they were not in the rocker kit. After he gets the lifters he can measure the pushrod length and order them. Then we will be off to the dyno soon after.

I also sent my 4 speed out to be rebuilt by Lofgrens here in Minneapolis. I need 3rd gear and all the brass. I am also going to order up a McCloed Twin Street clutch assembly and flywheel. Already got that look from the wife about all the money going into this project(you married guys know what I'm talking about  :D). Hopefully she won't kill me in my sleep until after I get to drive this thing once. :icon_smile_big:

Hopefully will have updates to post before August.

i use the same dual disc clutch in all of my cars.one is a heavy 70 charger with 835 hp.
i also have one in a 70 cuda with 700 hp.it's been in there for over 10 years!
it's an awesome clutch,i dont think you can hurt it.
good luck with your project :coolgleamA:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!