News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 R/T Carpet Color

Started by jdiesel33, April 18, 2008, 12:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

Hi,
I am about to start resto on a Red R/T with White Interior. However, the current carpet is not the original. Does anyone have an idea as to what the original carpet color would have been?

Thanks
JK
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

69*F5*SE

I'm going to have to go with red on this.   :2thumbs:

jdiesel33

Is that typical that the carpet color matches that of the exterior? Right now there is some very beat up and tattered red and black marble type carpet that was installled.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

69*F5*SE

You could always go black.   O0

jdiesel33

I could, but then I  could never go back to red.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

jdiesel33

The dash is black. Console is silver and black.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

69*F5*SE

I'd go black then myself.  :Twocents:

jdiesel33

Seems like the interior should have been black as well. The red exterior with the white interior always looked kinda funny to me, but what do I know.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

If the dash is black , the carpet should be black too

The white interior was never all white. :yesnod:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

My 67 has white interior and the carpet and dash are black.  Different year of course but it tends to make me agree with 1hot68.  :icon_smile_wink:

694spdRT

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 18, 2008, 04:12:07 PM
If the dash is black , the carpet should be black too

The white interior was never all white. :yesnod:
:iagree:  Seat belts and console should be too.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

no318

I agree, too.  Mine is bronze with white interior.  Had black carpet, dash, console, steering column and seat belts (I think).  The rest was white.  It looked orig. when I took it apart.  It is in the body work stage now and has no interior in it.

8WHEELER

Black dash pads on a 68=black carpet, weather or not the seats are black or white. My blue 68 has a white
and blue interior, so the dash pads are blue that= blue carpet.

This is an example, the bottom of the inside of the doors should be black though.

{ edit} on this car, the lower portion on the door should be white, sorry I slipped up  :brickwall:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mike DC

I can think of an original unrestored '69 Charger near me that had the door metal painted white.

I looked on some original cars because I was curious about how that issue with the doors/jambs was originally handled by the factory.  Every car I looked on, I saw the door sheetmetal painted the color of the door panel vinyl up to the rubber weatherstripping.  The outer body color started at the outer side of the weatherstripping.   

Remember that a lot of lower-end models in those days came with much more of the inner door sheetmetal still exposed.  (Like the upper-door-panel area remained exposed on other B-bodies for example.)  That would have made the factory more in the habit of assuming the door sheetmetal needed to be painted vinyl-color inside.   

no318

Mine has factory white door panels and white paint on the inside door frame as well.

jdiesel33

Thanks for all the replies and thanks for the pic 8Wheeler. I think I will go with black. Will post pics soon.

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

8WHEELER

I was referring to 68 Chargers only, I don't have that much experience with other models.

This is my September 67 built QQ1 Blue 68 charger, as you can see it had a blue and pearl white
interior, so with the white seats and door panels, the steel portion below the lower door panel
was painted white. The carpet is a dark teal blue, I have only seen a few of these, in this color
combo, the prior owner in the 70's painted most all the blue dash pads black.

Evan the tan 68 interiors had the lower metal portion below the door panel tan, color matched.

Dan

69_500

If the door panels are white then the general rule is that the carpet is black.

8WHEELER

Quote from: 69_500 on April 20, 2008, 07:12:19 PM
If the door panels are white then the general rule is that the carpet is black.

That is very true in most cases, but as with my blue 68, if you have white seats and door panels, and
your dash pads and console are blue, your carpet will be blue. You don't see this combo to often, most
white seat int have black dash pads, so then yes, the carpet would be black, with black dash pads.

Another color example of blue, almost all blue.
And the same color match in the red 68.

And a white int black dash pad car, that will come with black carpet.

Dan