News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk Rubber

Started by Bad 69 Charger, April 15, 2008, 10:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad 69 Charger

Ok guys, have a 69 charger, before i removed trunk i drilled inbetween the bolts that hold trunk so i could get it back on right, painted the car, now reinstalling put new rubber, put lid back on in the same spot and the rubber on the end where the lock is will not allow it to close, i mean it is 3/4 to 1 inch from closing, just hitting in the front rubber, old rubber was tore up and almost gone and trunk closed good. is there another way to adjust the trunk, it looks like the lid is far enough back lining up with the rear quarter moldings but i guess maybe it needs to slide back a little more, what do you think, Ben

Hemidog

a common problem with new weathstripping, the new stripping needs to be "sat" in place.
Maybe loosening the lid bolts a little to raise the front of the lid, so you can close the lid and let the rubber sit for a while, hopefully in some sunlight.
After a few days you can try again  ;)

AmadeusCharger500

I had this same problem on 2 different cars. It is merely the new rubber not being formed to the trunk, as stated.
I adjusted the latch downward so it would at least catch the striker, and then let it sit like that for a while before trying to seat it closer.

4aThrill

had the same issue with my 71 Charger took out the old weather put in new for temp use  :yesnod: didn't want close I was told to slam that hummer closed   :eek2: no that can't be right well I did slam it shut  :lol: the next time I went to open/shut the trunk no problems  :D

Just 6T9 CHGR

Ummm....make sure you have the weatherstrip installed in the right location...it goes toward the inner edge of the ledge of the trunk opening, not in the "valley"
Dont ask me how I know.

PS----to really impress the judges, be sure to offset the seam to either the left or right of the trunk latch a few inches...it should not be in the center of the latch like on my car :rotz:

PSS--welcome to the site :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Bad 69 Charger

Thanks guys for the info, that picture helps me out a lot, i see what i did wrong, not gonna say, well i will i stood the rubber up, when i removed the rubber it was also standing up but someone had trimmed it off so the trunk would close, i was just installing it like i took it off, duh, but i have it on in the right place it just isn't laying down like the picture, i have seen other trunk lid rubber on other cars standing up so i just assumed this was the same way but it all makes sense now, thanks again, Ben