News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A new missing DMCL scene?

Started by Ghoste, April 11, 2008, 01:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

We've talked on here before a number of times about the edited scenes in the commonly available tv version of Dirty Mary Crazy Larry but tonight I was watching the "official" dvd release from Anchor Bay and I think I spotted a new one.
There is a scene right before they hit the farmers truck with the Charger where they flash down to someone's feet hitting a brake pedal (I've always thought it looked like a Ford pickup floorboard so I thinkit's the farmer) and it seems the new dvd doesn't have that scene.  It's been in the edited versions so far so it makes me wonder how many other little things they deleted before putting out the dvd?

EDIT
Never mind, it occurs later in the film than I thought.  It isn't when they hit the farmer, it's when they're being chased by the high speed interceptor.

jwramc

The question remains, tho. Was that a Charger floor and pedals for something else?? Here's a screen shot...
John

tan top

:yesnod: that shot was in the film i recoreded from the telly over 25 years ago also

think its a chebby  , if  you look at the gas pedel when larrys foot lifts off & hits the brake  , its not a charger gas pedel either  :scratchchin: :shruggy:

:popcrn:

good excuse to watch  it again now  , will take a picture of what i'm talking later  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jwramc

My thinking was that it was shot in one of the patrol cars, but searching 1970-72 Polara pics online, I came up with nothing.
John

aussiemuscle

apparently the shot of the 'feet' in Mad Max is not the pedal box of a Holden Monaro either  :rofl: I guess a lot of those incidental shots are done post production and just use stock footage.

jwramc

... and would somebody down under tell Biante and Classic Carllectibles that we're all STILL WAITING for all three yellow Interceptors and Nightrider's stolen Pursuit Special, in 1:18 if you please!!!  :brickwall:
John

Ghoste

I still think its from the farmers pickup.

MoparManJim

Not a charger floor pedal. The brake pedal doesn't fit a charger one, an I don't think that brake pedal is a aftermarket one either. Good question about the vehicle it's from.  :-\ :shruggy:

Ghoste

Looking at it again, it does have the grommet around the dimmer, did Ford do that or was it only GM who did grommets.

jwramc

Oh, stop guessing guys! I found it!! In another thread I discussed at length how the final train crash was filmed.
Anybody recall what vehicle was towing the SE for the big crash? 1959 El Camino!
What do it's pedals look like? :lol:

Man, that ol' Chebby got a lot of use on this film!!  :rofl:
John

TheGhost

Alot of talk about DMCL lately.  Makes me wanna watch it again.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Fred

I wonder if they're ever going to do a remake.............they have just about everything else.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Ghoste

I think I would rather they didn't.

Fred

I couldn't agree with you more.............leave well enough alone!
I for one prefer all the originals.........they're hardly ever improved on.

jwramc

I loathe the idea that someone will try, for all the normal reasons. The plot would have to be seriously altered (like the vanishing Point remake did ... ACK!) because the studios will never pay to make the film as if it's taking place in 1974....too expensive to alter the whole world around the filming...hiding DirectTV dishes, advertising signage, prices, background vehicles...anything and everything that has changed since then.

That means the story must be updated to take place today. well, no supermarket- even on payday has enough cash to finance a new NASCAR team for 10 minutes. So it can't be about a pair of losers stealing money to build a racecar...those days are gone. So then what? Mary is in labor and their rushing to get to the hospital in time? Seriously, this is how remakes spiral out of control and sanity.

It can only be done as a period piece, set in 1974.

I started writing a remake a few years ago, where I didn't alter much of anything at all EXCEPT I inserted flashbacks here and there that explain how everyone ended up there, on that fateful day- what led them to such desperate measures. I also lengthened a few discussions to add detail to what was going on in their heads that day- more or longer, more revealing arguments. Really need to dig that up and see if it holds up now. Oh, as an AMC fan, I also made sure to include the Matador that Larry mentions at the start of the film. I figure the 4-door Impala was pretty dull looking anyway, so I replaced it with a blue '71 Matador "Machine"... similar to this one-

I'd want to see it filmed in all the same locations as much as feasible, and eliminating the continuity issues of the 3 different Chargers. And would I change the Charger at all? I played with the idea that the Matador would be much like the Impala- plain jane with tweaks where it counts in the 'go' department. The Charger, two years older, could be a NASCAR-spec retired racer, full cage, one race seat and stock seating put back in elsewhere, no carpet, door panels, etc., 'setup' for road-racing duty and wearing street tread tires, all chosen for the big getaway. I think that would work. An almost-good-enough-for-the-big-time car and they need the bucks to take it to a competitive level.

The ending- oh, that ending. We old schoolers would want the same one...but it still needs to be amped up a bit for modern audiences. NO CGI, mind you. But a faster train, a harder hit and perhaps the car flung sideways into the side of a building where it explodes and burns? Roll credits... but AFTER the credits, fade back in to see Larry stand up in the road, brushing off road dust. He sees the car burning, turns around to see Deke and Mary trotting toward him from where he dropped them off moments earlier. "That should throw Franklin off for a while. Let's go. The Chevy is on the other side of these trees..." The old farts can leave during the credits believing they died like in the original, but the kiddies get their chance at a sequel.

So...who's gonna spot me the 40 million to get it done? "Ms. Johannson, your halter top and low-rise jeans are in your trailer."
John

Fred

Which is why the remakes rarely live up to expectations.  I'm stuck in a time warp.

MoparManJim

I would love to see that made just how you told it, I could see it happening an I love the way you said it!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  :yesnod:

Ghoste

I like the choice for Mary too.

jwramc

And here I was thinking I'd get shredded for the suggestion I'd make ANY changes at ALL. Love an open-minded group!  :2thumbs:

With the coming diecast, I'm buying several (likely a dozen) so I can mod a few of them different ways. One for uber-insane accuracy of anything AW doesn't make movie-accurate, another the mimic the SE car, and one is planned to be my "remake" car....similarly setup like this 500 is...

...but with this type NASCAR wheel:

No wheel well trim, windshield straps... just like it came off the track last week, got street tires and a few seats put in and a quick custom paintjob. Totally NOT street legal. (And a shabby fuel cell install might be a good way to excuse the explosion in the finale)

As far as a cast, I've heard Scarlett do a great southern accent (and she ain't at all hard to look at). I originally liked the clean-shaven, more hyperactive Ashton Kutcher for Larry, but I've wavered recently while having nobody better in mind for the part. For Deke, I had really liked the idea of James Spader when he combed his hair and weighed much less. Again, nobody comes to mind that fits these days.

As for Franklin- wow- I'd cast it much the same way. A talented old school actor that doesn't work a lot these days...again, nobody stands out for me, but a younger Sam Elliott would have worked.

The farmer in the wrecked pickup??? C'MON!! Peter Fonda! He's in and out with one day's work. I'd thought about him as Franklin, but I don't see him wanting to work that hard and long anymore.

Haven't found the right cameo for Susan George yet. Could be an entirely new character... or she could replace the bartender at the pool hall maybe. :)

Hmm... maybe start the film in a coy way. Back up to the day before Larry got laid, and show him arriving at Deke's place. He exits the Matador, walks toward the front door but hears a compressor kick on in the garage. He heads that way, and Deke emerges from the side door with a paint mask over his face, bits of Citron Yella overspray in his hair and on his clothes.

"How's it coming along, Deke?"

"I'll worry about the cars. You worry about your head."

Deke walks past Larry as he pulls his gloves off, heading toward the house to clean up. Larry turns around.

"Huh-huh. You sure it's not about where your head's at?"

"If you're not scared about this whole thing, you're crazy, Larry."

Larry, under his breath to himself... "Huh...heh heh. Why does everybody say that?"
John

tan top

Quote from: jwramc on January 27, 2012, 10:34:55 PM
Oh, stop guessing guys! I found it!! In another thread I discussed at length how the final train crash was filmed.
Anybody recall what vehicle was towing the SE for the big crash? 1959 El Camino!
What do it's pedals look like? :lol:

Man, that ol' Chebby got a lot of use on this film!!  :rofl:

:2thumbs:  good bit of detective work  :yesnod:   :bow:  ,   :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

No not Ashton he's too Iwannabenickcage. I can't think of the dude's name that I picture.  Damn.  It was that guy that played Spidermans buddy against Toby McGuire and Toby killed his dad and his friend became the new bad guy hunting Spiderman.

I don't know why that guy, someone who can be cool and crazy at once without passing the thin line into manic.

jwramc

James Franco? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0290556/

I'm not feeling that maybe because I'm stuck on the tall, gangly body and near-mullet hair of Fonda.

Rest assured, nobody that worked in or on any of the Twilight films will be involved if I'm in charge.  :rofl:
John

Ghoste

Hmm, maybe there are just no modern Peter Fonda's on the scene right now?

jwramc

Or we're totally out of touch these days. :)

Oo, I just did a search for "cool young actors" to see who popped up. This one gave me chills: BEN FOSTER!

See "3:10 to Yuma" or "Alpha Dog" to best see what a great actor he is (if you don't already know).

John

Mike DC

QuoteThat means the story must be updated to take place today. well, no supermarket- even on payday has enough cash to finance a new NASCAR team for 10 minutes. So it can't be about a pair of losers stealing money to build a racecar...those days are gone. So then what? Mary is in labor and their rushing to get to the hospital in time? Seriously, this is how remakes spiral out of control and sanity.

I doubt the outdated aspects of that plot would prevent them from doing it in the present day.  Just make it a bigger-money target than a supermarket, and/or don't have Fonda trying to get into NASCAR.  He could be an ex-driver trying to make some money to live on, etc.  We know it's not realistic but Hollywood rarely cares about such things.  Besides, was the storyline really so realistic in 1974?  Maybe it was in 1954 or 1964, but NASCAR had already gotten pretty expensive by 1974.

Look at the whole principle of car chases.  Running from the police in a car and getting away ceased to be realistic decades ago.   Hell, just driving fast on open rural roads without being stopped by traffic is getting pretty fake in most places.  REAL car chases these days usually take place entirely on crowded interstates and crowded suburban sprawl.   But none of this has stopped Hollywood from showing car chases all the time.