News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rumors really hurt people.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, April 04, 2008, 06:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin68N71

Rumors aside, this hobby, like many others, is about 95% great people and 5% real a-holes.  It may come from jealousy, but I see some people with a sense of superiority about them.  What I have is great, what you have is cr@p.  Just go to youtube and check the various Mopars on there.  There will always be some idiot in the comments section saying some putdown on the vehicle.  I did enjoy one other person who challenged the guy with posting HIS car.  Of course, he disappeared and never did.

If you think the Mopar hobby has some idiots in it, don't get me started on the AMC hobbyists.

I have a 1957 Chrysler Imperial in my garage that is a story in and of itself.  It's a four door hardtop that I have had for 13 years and only moved it once!  It is a major restoration project.  At any rate, I am at last year's Spring Fling with my son.  We're enjoying the day and the fabulous cars.  Around the corner from a 1969 Daytona is a gorgeous 1957 Chrysler Imperial coupe.  I never see these out there, so I went up to the guy and complimented him.  It was really a sharp car.

I hoped to start up a conversation with the fellow, I mean, what are car shows SUPPOSED to be for?  So I mention I have a '57 four door, and I was planning on restoring it some day and before I could go any further the guy goes "Four door!  I wouldn't even waste time on a four door, they are worth nothing".  At which time his butt buddy goes "He paid more for his show chrome than your car is worth!".  I wanted to say something like, well, that shows what an idiot he is, but I didn't, in fact, it shocked me that someone would say something like that.  I guess I am supposed to just junk my car because it's a four door, or just GIVE it to him for spares I imagine.

If he's at this years show, upon having time to reflect, I think I'll go over to his car--he likely won't remember me but I remember his car--and start loudly proclaiming what I think is not "correct".  See how he likes it.  See how he likes someone getting personal.

Maybe it's the way I was raised, I can't imagine putting down someone else's car, or starting a rumor that its this or that.  Who cares if someone else's car has bondo on it or not, or has this or that on it?  Someone with a vintage ride is saving it and driving it and adding to the hobby and helping keep specialty companies afloat by buying replacement parts.  How exactly is anyone deserving of rudeness because their car is not up to some level of expectations, or is deemed "inferior" on some level?

I tell you, the older I get, the less patience I have for a-holes.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Magnumcharger

Quote from: daytonalo on April 04, 2008, 10:04:49 PM
Jealousy for sure , nice car !! I agree Rumors hurt , for example ,My ex girl started a Rumor that I have a small package , problem is It's true !!!!!!!!!!! :icon_smile_big:

It looks bigger when viewed closer, right?
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

kylem4711

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 04, 2008, 09:04:42 PM
Quote from: sick dawg on April 04, 2008, 08:55:10 PM
No big deal! don't pay him any mind. Who cares?
One of my cars is painted up as a General Lee,you wouldn't believe some of the crap I get to hear about it!
I love it anyway.
I hear ya but I can't pin point If I'm being betrayed, or what?  It makes no sense.  It's a beautiful as you see in the picture. Remember I have to work with him.  It's hard for me when I can't mention what I know, and what I know makes no sense?   People are weird.   Sad.

just ask him why he said that then....
1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

twenty mike mike

Well, look at it this way. You found out that you have an acquaintance, not a friend, in a situation that isn't critical. Imagine finding that out when you really needed a friend.

There's just no accounting for what some people do.   :rotz:

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: charger01 on April 04, 2008, 06:21:13 PM
Jealousy,,,plain and simple....I have an aquaintance from high school that stops by every now and then....He looked at my car once and said it was nice, but not as nice as the 59 cadillac that he will have someday...,,,,,, Makes alot of sense huh. fricken jerkoffs

Same here man, that local guy from High School does the same thing to me. I know what you mean. :icon_smile_blackeye:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

kylem4711

Quote from: twenty mike mike on April 04, 2008, 11:47:16 PM
Well, look at it this way. You found out that you have an acquaintance, not a friend, in a situation that isn't critical. Imagine finding that out when you really needed a friend.

There's just no accounting for what some people do.   :rotz:

very well said
1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hemihead on April 04, 2008, 10:41:45 PM
The whole thing seems childish to me . Are we back in school now ? He shouldn't care about the car you own and you shouldn't care what he thinks either .  :Twocents:
You know, we just went to one of the guys retirement party the other day.  My wife comment on how child like all the guys were with the way they talked about each other etc...   We sat with this guy and had good time and moved around other tables chatting and having fun.  I reminded her when she worked at Yale as a manager all the crap she had to put up with, like the time someone told someone else she was always on the phone for personal use.  Nobody is more professional than my wife.  She flipped out as she never ever uses the company phone for personall use ( I do  :icon_smile_big: ).  Being on the phone was a major part of her job.   Point is people certainly can be idiots, and unfortunately we have to work with them.  I have a good repor with this guy (I think?), he calls me throughout the day to chat.  I just don't have the guts, or care enough to ask him.  Actually there is another odd story about him doing something as odd as this to me about 6 months ago.  I just don't want to get into it, but that also made absolutely no sense at all.  I was telling a friend yesterday.  Do not mess with, My wife, my kids, or my charger.  And he replies, knowing you I would of thought the Charger would of been first?  Must be a Mopar thing.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

This is almost like driving in the rain for you huh?

:nana:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

six-tee-nine

That's what makes you sure you're car looks killer.
The better it looks, the perfecter it is restored, the more you put shiny goodies on it.....well, the more others will critizize it.

When we were younger punks (18/20) I restored my first car and it took me 5 years to do it. As I got along lot of my buddies at the car club visited me and told me it would look awesome when done.
When it was finally done and came out to the streets I dare say I had one of the best looking cars of the club, but then the critics came.....
When you have a butt ugly bondo bucket you get the most good comments you can get, but that's just because everyone feels sorry for you...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 05, 2008, 05:55:07 AM
This is almost like driving in the rain for you huh?

:nana:
Another nana from my buddy Chris.  Good point.  I think I'll take being lied to, used, and probably laughed at behind my back, all done from untrue jealous lies, than drive my baby in the cold wet rain.  Wanna laugh.  I figured out if I keep my wife's car out of the garage during rain days like today.  My car stays dry.  If she runs in and out it with the wet mobile my car ends up soaked?   So I have her keep her car outside only when it snows or rains. :smilielol:  I got a good wife or what?   I told her when it's up and running I'll partition off the garage and then she can use it for what it was built for, parking her car in it.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

694spdRT

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on April 04, 2008, 06:10:47 PM
I had a friend stop by when I was first Pulling out my engine after it snapped a rod.  I just talked to him today and we have never had any issues.  What hurt me was someone told me today that he told some others in my field ( some I don't care for ) that my car may look good in the garage but outside you'll see it's all bondo.  I was shocked!!

Obviously, I don't know your friend like you do but you seem to believe what this other person said about your friend. That tells me you two have enough history together that you don't doubt he would say it. Talk to your friend about it because it is very easy for things to get changed as the story gets told to different people. I would just tell him what the guy told you and let your friend respond. It could be a total fabrication by the other guy you talked with, a total backstab by your friend, or something in between.

If you want to keep the guy as a friend, and what he said it true, at least calling him out on it will make him think twice about doing it again.

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

BigBlackDodge

I've seen people tear down other peoples cars...............and then ask if it's for sale! :rotz:

Idiots

BBD

resq302

:scope:  Wow, look at all of those pin holes from the body filler in that car.   :scope:   Seriously, just kidding.  That car is phenominal if it looks like that in a pic, must be killer in person.  :2thumbs: Like everyone else said, he is probably jealous or was having a bad day and had to raise himself up by putting someone else down.  Like Chris G said, you might have to weed him out of being one of your close friends.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 694spdRT on April 05, 2008, 08:00:08 AM
I had a friend stop by when I was first Pulling out my engine after it snapped a rod.  I just talked to him today and we have never had any issues.  What hurt me was someone told me today that he told some others in my field ( some I don't care for ) that my car may look good in the garage but outside you'll see it's all bondo.  I was shocked!!

Obviously, I don't know your friend like you do but you seem to believe what this other person said about your friend. That tells me you two have enough history together that you don't doubt he would say it. Talk to your friend about it because it is very easy for things to get changed as the story gets told to different people. I would just tell him what the guy told you and let your friend respond. It could be a total fabrication by the other guy you talked with, a total backstab by your friend, or something in between.

If you want to keep the guy as a friend, and what he said it true, at least calling him out on it will make him think twice about doing it again.

Been thinking about it.  It may be that he was testing the other guy because he doesn't like that guy either and wanted to see how fast it would get back to me and who said what to who?  I will ask him anyway because I wear my heart on my sleeve and this is bugging me.  He is very smart and has his own hot rod.  He knows this car is pin straight.  It just don't add up.  Gotta be testing the other guys, I can see him doing something like that but not taking into consideration how it would effect me.  :slap:

69_500

Wait just a minute here. Did I just read that a garage is supposed to be used to house other cars than just the Charger? Something isn't right with that. I have a 3 car garage, and right now it holds a 1969 Charger 500, and nothing else but Charger parts. Wifes Durango, Intrepid and Avenger all parked outside. When they hit 30 they too can come into the warm heated garage.  :slap:

Chad L. Magee

I would not worry about it, just give some distance between the "friend" and see what really happens. :flame:  I know that from experiance dealing with "friends" who really were enemies in disguise and by doing that I caught them red handed that way. :coolgleamA:  Out in western Kansas, there is a saying: "Give an idiot enough rope and he will hang himself with it."  Some people are really clueless what they are saying sometimes due to diifferent factors (envy, insecurity, etc....).  I had to work for 5 1/2 years with a boss like that and it finally came back to bite him in the azz.  You know you have a great Charger and that is what matters since you are the owner.  My advice is to go out and enjoy your car.  If your car truely was a rough bondo bucket (which it is not, but some of mine are), I would use the "talk" as motivation to get to work on fixing it up to prove everyone wrong.......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

idahogrumpy

:RantExplode: You know I have poured my heart and soul into Mo pars  all of my life, I'm 48. I have never had a car even close to yours. (Nice Car!) I make hot rods out of my Mo pars because that is what I know how to do. Many people do not like what I do either, oh well it's mine and it works for me! If you are trying to impress everyone with your car you know that isn't going to happen, can't please everyone. Do it for you!!!!   :2thumbs:
People, friends do not realize just how much time and money it takes just to keep these old cars going, let alone making them take on the look that your car does. These cars are thirty plus years old, yes they probably have some bondo in them, WHO CARES! Most of the cars like yours are done by experienced craftsmen to industry standards and are better than new.
My car has waves, bondo, and a poor garage paint job, (I'm cheep) but hey I'm having fun!
Don't be mad at your friend, help him into his own project and he will then soon realize what he said hurt your friendship.
OK I'm done now     Sorry for the rant.   Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

Charger_Fan

I can see this definitely bothers you, so if it were me in your shoes, I'd definitely bring up the issue to your friend & see if his side of the story is different. That way you know for sure exactly what was said by whom & can deal with that person how you will.

Oh & your car looks absolutely fantastic! I often doubt if mine will ever look even half as good as yours does. :)

Quote from: C_stripes on April 04, 2008, 06:56:27 PM
I don't have much personall experience in this, But. My friend that collects cars does.  He has about 10 cars that are done. He likes to take them out and show people. He likes to let people enjoy them in his shop as well. He is a very down to earth guy. But at the local car show here he is not going to take his cars anymore. He gets to much criticism from people saying that he is just trying to show off. Well. Number 1. Isn't that what car shows are for?? Number 2.  That is not how Neil is.  He is a very cool and down to earth guy and he loves muscle cars and he loves to share them with others. I think anyone that has met him will agree.  Steve met him. I bet he would say the same.
Are you talking about the guy who owns these (& others)?

That's gonna be a bummer to not see them at the Cruise-in this year. :'(  His cars are always top notch!

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

C_stripes

Yep.  That is Neil.  I have driven the three mopars shown there.  They will not be there this year and maybe never again.  If you ever want to see them.  Let me know.  I can take you over there.  Have you ever talked to him?
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

pettyfan43

Man your car is KILLER.  Just tell the guy to bring HIS Charger R/T S/E over so you can compare notes with HIS since it is OBVIOUSLY perfect!!!! BTW in the pics the car looks AWESOME!! Tell him to get bent if he has that big a problem with jealousy!!!

Charger_Fan

Quote from: C_stripes on April 05, 2008, 04:15:56 PM
Have you ever talked to him?
Nope, I haven't talked to him, just admired his killer car collection from year to year. :drool5:
That sucks that some opinionated windbags have soured him from showing off his cars. I suppose I don't blame him though, it would definitely be a downer to make the effort to bring all those cars to a show & have a bunch of negative crap thrown his way.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Tilar

Quote from: 694spdRT on April 05, 2008, 08:00:08 AM

:iagree:  Call him out on it. It may be someone else messing with you.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

C_stripes

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on April 06, 2008, 08:41:41 AM
Quote from: C_stripes on April 05, 2008, 04:15:56 PM
Have you ever talked to him?
Nope, I haven't talked to him, just admired his killer car collection from year to year. :drool5:
That sucks that some opinionated windbags have soured him from showing off his cars. I suppose I don't blame him though, it would definitely be a downer to make the effort to bring all those cars to a show & have a bunch of negative crap thrown his way.

Its a ton of work getting them all ready.  I help Detail them all and it takes about a week. He is going to take a few of them out to Boise this year. But he says he is pretty much done witht he cruise in. Are you still looking for a 70 charger hood?   Neil is the one that has it. 
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

TheGhost

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on April 05, 2008, 08:52:23 AM
I've seen people tear down other peoples cars...............and then ask if it's for sale! :rotz:

Idiots

BBD

They're trying to point out as many flaws as possible, so they can justify their low offer.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

FastbackJon

As others have said, I wouldn't let his comments bother you, especially since he didn't have the balls to say them to your face. I think your Charger looks gorgeous and I'd love to have it, I'd even love to have a '69 Charger R/T that was full of bondo!
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV