News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spot weld cutters wich ones to buy

Started by Doright, April 02, 2008, 01:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doright

Ok I got a car I want to drill apart and would like to know what other's feel are the best Spot weld cutters to use East wood sells 4 diffrent types.
I use Eastwood as a refrence to the pictures most of us have there catalogs but I will be purchasing mine from Snap On as they have the same style cutters.

1. I want the too use the cutters that last the longest and can be resharpend?
    a.) The Pro type 
    b.) Skip proof type with replaceable cutters and pilot drill
    c.) Double ended type looks like you have to pre drill a pilot hole and when cutter wears out you flip it over

2. How maney should I buy up front for 2 quarter panel job plus floors?
    a.) 10
    b.) More than 10

3. Whats the best size to buy if I want to only buy one size? 
    a.) 3/8''
    b.) 1/2''
    c.) Buy both
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

yeahitsgotahemi!

I wouldn't bother buying exspenive spotweld cutters. They're a disposable item. I bought two spotweld cutters at harbor frieght for 5 buck each and they work great. The only catch is that they work best if you drill a small pilot hole for the guide, (the guide is actually spring loaded so you dont have to drill a hole but they work better if you do). They are exactly the same as the eastwood double ended, but cost a quarter of the price.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

69hemi

After drilling thousands of spotwelds with every cutter made, I have found that Blair makes the best cutters.  I have used the blade type and while they do work, the Blair ones are like a little hole saw and cut way faster.  You just drill an 1/8" pilot hole and cut away.  The little saws are double sided and if you are careful they will drill many hole before you need to change them.

Here is a link to the site: http://www.blairequipment.com/Spotweld_Cutters/Spotweld_Cutters.html

I used the 13224 model and it works great.  A good tip it to have a little cup of cutting oil handy and it greatly extends the life of the saw.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Doright

Thanks guys

69 Hemi
I contacted them they look exactly like the ones from Eastwood, But they do not provide a resharpening service for them SAD they are just HS steal they could be but they wont.
I Have to buy them threw a Jober going to see if my Snap on dealer will get them for me.   

yeahitsgotahemi!
I am going to check out Harbor freight too thanks for the tip
I would be a fool not too THANKS!
Evan if they only get me threw my first project I can buy a whole bunch at $5 a peice
Doright
A&P FCC 

hemi-hampton

I've never heard of resharpening these? :shruggy: LEON.

69hemi

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 05, 2008, 12:01:28 AM
I've never heard of resharpening these? :shruggy: LEON.

You can re-sharpen the blade type of cutters but the ones from Blair why bother?  The replacement blades come in a 3-pack for about $10 so why the fixation on resharpening them? 
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

troy.70R/T

I use the hole saw looking one with the spring loaded point. the trick is to buy an automatic center punch and center punch the center of the spot weld before you try to drill it out. The automatic center punch is spring loaded you just push it down until it trips and makes the center punch.

Charger-Bodie

Just grind them away, and use a standard drill bit on the few you cant get to with a grinder. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

daytonalo

I have alway used a plasma cutter for spot weld , you simply make a circle very quickly around spot weld with plasma cutter , spend to much time and you will burn through second panel . It takes some practice , but once you mastered it , you will look at these spot-weld cutters as Mickey mouse !!!!!!!!!

Doright

69HEMI
Where you buying a 3 pack for $10???     Prices I am seeing are way more than that
Doright
A&P FCC 

daytonalo

Harbor freight !!! Every tool outside of my welder and plasma cutter are from Harbor freight !!

The70RT

I used Blair but found out the NAPA ones worked better for me by far  :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

daytonalo

I just got back from friends body shop , I asked what they used , they showed me , it was a 10.00 cutter with a tiny centering nub . It looked just like a cutter you would use in a milling machine , it cut the whole weld out not just cut around it . He demonstraited it , he said no more than 500 rpm and it cut like butter .

Larry

69hemi

Quote from: Doright on April 08, 2008, 10:50:30 AM
69HEMI
Where you buying a 3 pack for $10???     Prices I am seeing are way more than that

I cut a deal with a local auto parts to buy all my stuff from them and in return i get dealer prices on all my needs.
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
02 Ram
95 Ram

The70RT

Quote from: Doright on April 08, 2008, 10:50:30 AM
69HEMI

I think Napa had them 10 bucks for one with the arbor and like 5 bucks for each cutting head.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Doright

Thanks guy's  :2thumbs:
I have to do some shoping around here to get deals like that I guess
Doright
A&P FCC 

CornDogsCharger

I do body work for a living and I agree.... Blair offers the best stuff when it comes to spotweld cutters.  Actually, I don't care much for the double-ended cutter.  I have found the bits to be weak when it comes to cutting thick metal.  I prefer the 11094 after using a 1/8 in pilot hole.  I use the 3/8 in cutters.  Mac, Matco, and Cornwell all sell the Blair tools.  So far, Mac is the only one that will warrenty the bits... which is a plus.  Hope this helps

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

daytonalo

Corn dog , ever tried a end mill spot weld  cutter ?? It removes the entire weld without penetrating  backing panel .

Larry