News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the actual pricetag???

Started by six-tee-nine, October 11, 2005, 10:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

six-tee-nine

Hello everyone...

I just registered myself here but I'm following this forum guite a hwile now.....

Maybe my Written english isn't that good but I'm a Eropean non english speaking person of orgin (Dutch is my motherlanguage)

Since about several years i'm dreaming of buying myself a Dodge charger (of course like most people i think), a '68 or a '69 one. And no i' im not again one of those crazy Eropeans who saw the Dukes movie, but i'm in to seriuos car restoration for a few years now and the Charger is one of my all time favourites.

Now what i'm asking myself these day's is what al large variety of price tag's i found in the last year i'm looking around.
Over here in Erope they sell the worst things for the highes prices wich is quite understandable because offer is very poor and not everybody wants to travel to the States to buy one and ship it over.
But i'm willing to do so.....but.....
For example on e-bay you find restorables for, one day 12.000 dollars and two days later ou'll find one for 8.000 dollars, i mean the differences ar very large....

Is there anyone who can tell me what's a normal price to pay for a '68/'69 restorable Charger
With restorable i mean welding floorpans or a trunkpan is no problem, but i don't want to buy a totally decomposed body with no engine and lots of other stuff missing, actually i'm looking for a complete car, prefere 383 or 440 bb engine and console shift, i don't really care about number's matching either.....maybe for some of you that may be a crime but let it be so then.
As for now i was thinking to get my hands on something for around 8.000 up to 10.000 dollars
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

41husk

There are deals out there but most stuff on ebay is over priced in my opinion.  Good luck with your search and welcome to the site.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Blown70

Well Depends how complete you want it....

I would suggest taking your time.  The right car is out there.  Now.  Have you considered a car that was DONE?  The reason being is the cost of restoration.....Even if you have everything the cost to paint, rebuild engine motor tranny.... ect.  Often is $20-30,000 american....  I may be off but look around for the THREAD about the cost for your restoration?

I know CHARGER AFICIANDO had a friend that had one listed on EBAY... and R/T 69, for a buy now of $25,000,

In my opinion you would be better off with something like that.....  JUST MY OPINION.....

But stick around you may find what you want....  Us Yanks can help you out.

To think of it.... I have a neighbor has a 69 for $3,500 however you will be doing a lot of body work.... and I personally dont think the car would be worth your headache.

six-tee-nine

No thanks but i'm in to doing the work myself....

Maybe you can call me a masochist but that's the true hobby for me.....

Also some guys on other local Mopar sites here, who bought their Charger in the States tell me that there are quite more Chargers offered for sale than you can possibly find on the internet is that true or not???

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

cudaken

Fist welcome to the site Wantacharger. You will find many Europeans and Dutch as well on the site.

Say's, $8,000 to $10,000 should get you a decent Charger with the type of work yet to be done. But becareful of E-bay or any other on line car sites. There are many crooks out there thay will be more than happy to take your money and send you Charger Remains! We have had more than a few people here ripped off badly.

Few thing's that you can do to keep from being ripped off. When you have found a Charger you think you want post where the Charger is, if one of us is close by most of us would be happy to take a look at the car for you.

You could also hire an appeaser to look at the car as well.

Sure there will be some other tips as well. My self, I have never bought a car off the internet and not sure I would unless it was checked out by someone I trust.

Welcome and make some friend's here at the site.

Cuda Ken
I am back

MichaelRW

Welcome to the site.

In the current issue of Hemmings Motor News (November 2005), there is a 1969 Charger for sale that is in your price range. I have no connection whatsoever to this car and am just passing this on to you. Here's the advertisement:

1969 Charger, 318 auto column shift, runs well, needs restoration, California black plate, $8,500. phone - 805-553-9187 CA.

I realize this car does not have the 383 or 440 but if you want to do this restoration yourself you could always swap engines. The fact that this is a California black plate car is a good thing in that the car is probably not very rusty and has probably spent it's whole life in California.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

bluesfool

The internet is just one more avenue to finding yourself a car...which means that yes, there is a greater number of Chargers for sale than what you can find online. I don't know what other sites you are looking at, but www.collectorcartraderonline.com can be a good source to look at as well. I would be very wary of what you find on Ebay, but I guess the same can be said for any website.   8-10 thousand US $ should get you a pretty decent Charger to start with. Good luck and welcome to the site.

cudaken

Wantacharger, yes many car's change hand here in the states that you will never see on the internet. People know other people thing. How soon are you looking to buy a Charger? I could make a few call to friend's of mine and see what they have.

Be carefull about wanting to do the body work. :icon_smile_big:   I am a bodyman by trade and I will tell you one thing. They are a pain in the butt to work on! :thumbs: Only thing flat on a 68-70 Charger is the trunk. ;) Doors a lone (one of the best parts of the Charger) has 13 bodylines :o Bottom of the door body lines have body lines. I done a few Charger's for the people here and they did not even know there as a line at the front lower part of the door.

But, when they are done, they are pretty. :icon_smile_big:

Cuda Ken
I am back

six-tee-nine

Thanks alot for the welcome....

I already am that smart...... one of the first thing i learned about Chargers      avoid HLPAG at all cost.....

I was rather planning a holiday vacation in America and go checking around some chargers myself but i don't know if that's so easy to do because i'm not intend to sit in a plane for 3 weeks to fly across all the states before i found something decent.....

MichaelRW

Oh....one more thing, make sure before you send anyone money for a car, that you or someone you trust looks at the car. I know that this sounds like I may be preaching but I have heard of several stories where the buyer trusted the seller when they shouldn't have and got ripped off.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

six-tee-nine

[ Be carefull about wanting to do the body work. :icon_smile_big:   I am a bodyman by trade and I will tell you one thing. They are a pain in the butt to work on! :thumbs: Only thing flat on a 68-70 Charger is the trunk. ;) Doors a lone (one of the best parts of the Charger) has 13 bodylines :o Bottom of the door body lines have body lines. I done a few Charger's for the people here and they did not even know there as a line at the front lower part of the door.

But, when they are done, they are pretty. :icon_smile_big:

Cuda Ken

Now that's what I call a Challenge.....

Ok let it be difficult but afterall it is a hobby and i'm a patient guy so i wont' mind to do five years of bodywork and last but not least this would not be my first project so i have already made a hell of a lot of mistakes wich i won't make again

derailed

Quote from: MichaelRW on October 11, 2005, 11:38:16 AM
Oh....one more thing, make sure before you send anyone money for a car, that you or someone you trust looks at the car. I know that this sounds like I may be preaching but I have heard of several stories where the buyer trusted the seller when they shouldn't have and got ripped off.

:iagree:  I couldnt agree more, if theres anyway you can do this by all means do it. This sight has some descent deals on it from time to time as well.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/dodge.html

six-tee-nine

Yes, i'm already familiar with those sites

but there are much finished cars offered most of the time and thats really not what i'm looking for....

Blown70

No problem with wanted a project.  I just wanted you to know.  Looks like you do.

Well depending what you want Again,  I do have a neighbor with a Charger..... $3,500.  I did not look close as I was not interested  I can check if you want and take pics.

I have NO connection to this guy.... BUT IT IS A PROJECT.....

LMK

Tom

Doc74

Welcome !  :wave:

Dutch speaking huh ? krijg nou wat  ;D
Are you Dutch speaking or Dutch with a twist like us few Belgians here ?  :icon_smile_big:

A few things to add, the prices are at the moment as stated BUT to me, also a bodyman, if the car has 5 inches of rust on the quarter or 10, same thing, it has to be replaced, partially maybe but still it needs to be cut, hammered, welded, etcetera.If you cut out part of the trunk floor or the whole thing,that's not a whole lot of difference but it could be a major difference in price, you just have to find the right path inbetween. There's definitely cars out there that ARE restorable but do you want to do that to yourself ?
The more you spend now, the less you will be spending later on, a resto job is nearly always more expensive than buying one done but on the other hand, in most cases you have no clue how that beautiful resto was done, if you do it yourself you know what you have.
I bought my 69 with a non original 440, used to be 383 and it has plenty cancer.Trunk, parts of the floorboards, even some rail damage but I still wouldn't pay 3k more for one that had rust in the same places, just not as much but that's just me, I fix all this stuff myself and I love it.
Also things like an interior may LOOK nice and clean but they're usually old and about to give in when used regularly, so whatever you get, count on buying a full interior.That's roughly about a grand right there, deals can be made at the bigger shows and some shops.
Basically, the more options it has, the more you pay, matching #'s, you pay.
So if you just want that awesome looking devillish charger for what it is, you may not need that matching #'s R/T wtih A/C and sunroof. It'll save you tons to buy a stock 318 or one with a non original engine like the 383 or 440 and let's face it, would it be that bad to have it in the driveway ?  :icon_smile_big:
Best tip I can give you right now is take your time ! Don't buy the first one you see, there's plenty out there, don't worry, they won't be all gone next year, besides they continue to switch hands in mopar circles anyway so stick around and you'll see plenty.
If you have any questions about anything related charger you can always send me an email or personal message through here, in Dutch to make it easier.
I'm sure the other Dutch speaking members here are more than willing to help out too in your search for the coolest ride on the planet.

Brock Samson

Hello Wantacharger And Welcome to the Site! ? ;)

Sounds like you gotta great handle on what ya want, I was the same way prefering a fixer-upper myself so i could do it "my way",.. cause even if i could've bought a high-dollor car, an "Original" Charger, i coulden't and wouldn't have been able to do anything to it, or learned anything about fixing cars,..
? So I was warned too... but the satisfaction from doing it yourself is absolutly priceless... ? :yesnod:

One thing though about California Cars though, they are not nessesarliy rust free, cars parked near the coast with it's salt air can be as bad as any in the salt belt (where they salt the roads in winter). I've seen some so bad I warned the seller not to let anyone (else) drive the car to avoid  liability issues... ? :o most of them are gone by now though.

? Spending ? more money for a car with the hard to find bits would be well worth the effort, in my opinion... ? ;)

? But all that said, I really really like this blue 383 '68 in the for sale section!... :laugh:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,2349.0.html

BTW: my mom's maiden name was Van Houten... ? ;D

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Doc74 on October 11, 2005, 12:25:23 PM

Dutch speaking huh ? krijg nou wat   ;D
Are you Dutch speaking or Dutch with a twist like us few Belgians here ?   :icon_smile_big:

'k ben dus belg hè

andy74

how about a 3rd gen?prices are still in line,for now

CB

sorry to dig up this old post but it seems that I missed it.

Welcome to the site! So, wantacharger, you're Belgian, right? That makes you, Doc74 and me.

I bought my Mopar in the States, a 99% complete 69 Charger with 383 engine and console/buckets interior,
B5 blue with black top (see below in my post).

Prices are high for 2nd gen Chargers.
You must be lucky to find one complete, driving and solid for not too much money but if you look you'll find.

Good luck with your search!
When you need help, do PM me :punkrocka:

1968 Dodge Coronet 500