News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dark chrome

Started by miller, March 24, 2008, 12:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller

Has anyone tried recoating their bumpers or purchased wheels with dark chrome...

I thought it would look mean on a car thats painted dark gray with black stripes

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

suntech

Thought a little about it, but don´t you think it is going to look a little "pimpish"? Looks good on some European and Japanese cars, but i am not sure if it would be right for a musclecar. :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

sick dawg

Quote from: suntech on March 24, 2008, 03:23:37 AM
Thought a little about it, but don´t you think it is going to look a little "pimpish"? Looks good on some European and Japanese cars, but i am not sure if it would be right for a musclecar. :shruggy:

Go ahead, PIMP MY RIDE! :apimp:

Mike DC

I'd love to see a black Charger like that.  A glossy black painjob, with all the chrome trim (hell, everything on the outside of the whole car that's not black) "smoked" darker. 

It seems like it would be a subtle way to make the whole car look more evil. 

Brock Samson

The guy in Noway,  NorwayCharger?.. did just that, I'm suprised you don't remember..

his car is unforgettable..  :drool5:

"they are dark chrome/metall, they are different.."

here's his thread on the build...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,12272.0.html

Blown70

I guess I have seen a "black chrome" powder coat finish and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! :2thumbs:

Sometime hard to tell in a photo but in light and in person...... :drool5:

suntech

Arne´s (norwaycharger) car has the bumpers and rear lights bezels painted in a crome paint, that has black base, but it was never ment to to be "black crome".  It has a little darker shine than regular crome though. Looks very nice with the color of the car.  :2thumbs:
A little OT, but did you guys know that he has done pretty much everything on that car himself, including the paintjob. He is a painter of proffesion. Pretty damn impressive, if you ask me!!!!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Old Moparz

Quote from: Blown70 on March 24, 2008, 11:41:44 AM
I guess I have seen a "black chrome" powder coat finish and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! :2thumbs:

Sometime hard to tell in a photo but in light and in person...... :drool5:

"Black Chrome" is the term I had heard too, but this was 25 years ago & it wasn't powder coating back then. I've seen it in person, it looks awesome, & something I want to do to one of my cars. The only thing I'd be concerned with is if you have a lot of stainless steel trim on the car. It won't quite match the finish.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

471_Magnum

There is a "black chrome" that is actually a different texture and color in the nickel layer of nickel/chrome plating. This is done in a few OEM applications on plastic substrate. I'm not aware of any aftermarket/restoration bumper plater using this process.

More common is the translucent powder coating or paint applied over standard bright chrome plating.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Mike DC

A layer of smoke-tinted clearcoat would be the easy way.  You could even tint it some color shades too.

I don't know about the durability of that idea though. 

I'm sure the tinted clearcoat could be made pretty durable, but what about adhesion to the chrome itself?  You can't exactly just scuff up the chrome surface with #600 grit before spraying it.  Not without ruining the final surface effect you're shooting for.