News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I replicate factory paint markings?

Started by WH23G3G, March 23, 2008, 07:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

How do the restorers make a template of a factory paint inspection mark? What kind of paint do they recreate the mark with? I wanna try it just to try it on my differential case. Where do you get the paint at? Do you use a brush or some kind of pen?

resq302

It all depends on how big the mark is.  For the most part, they were either grease crayons or paint applied by various sized brushes.  Rumor has it was that the paint markings were paint from that model year or the next model year.  Quanta gas tanks also sells paint inspection bottles.  Pricey but they sell the paint bottle with a brush in the cap.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

WH23G3G

Whatever kind of paint they used for the inspectors marks it must have been really strong. Because after all the cleaning and chemicals used to strip the grease and old paint off the markings were still there. I believe someone told me one time it was lead paint. I've seen the paint markers they use at the junkyard to mark old parts. That's what I need, but don't where to get them at. On the bottom of my 8.75 chunk there is a number 51A or something like that, I can't remember and it is painted in yellow, obviously a stamp. Then there is an orange paint splotch on the very bottom of the chunk. I haven't figured out if there is anything on the back of the axle housing, it might be too bare to tell what was ever there. I haven't even been able to determine the year. The only other markings original to my car I found were the yellow splotches on the torsion bars. None of the crossmembers or under the hood had any.