News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to get more hp?

Started by Tarzan, March 17, 2008, 04:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Quote from: Tarzan on May 14, 2008, 12:53:47 PM
Is it very hard to install the heads? I have never done it before.

Would you buy EDDY heads or does the edelbrock work as good as EDDY?

Then there the cam, I have a MOPAR "PURPLE CAM" but thats all I know. What kind of cam should I get?

Heads are not difficult to install but i suggest you get a book and do some reading to learn about engine assembly & teardown.  :yesnod:

Eddy and Edelbrock are the same thing....Edelbrock heads are often referred to as Eddy heads  ;)

If you have a hydraulic cam then that is the easiest to work with....no valve adjustments and no adjustable rocker arms needed.

We really need to know a lot more about the car/motor/transmission/gearing etc... in order to make a proper recommendation.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Tarzan

Engine

Tarzan

Found this article. Would these parts be something I could use?? It says at the top about cams,rockers +++.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0205_mopar_440_update/index.html

hutch

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

firefighter3931

Quote from: Tarzan on May 14, 2008, 05:15:05 PM
My 69 charger:

This is all I know about the engine ++..

Engine is .30 over (446) with Mopar D heads and a Mopar "purple" cam, steel crank,
forged pistons at 10:25 to 1. Holley street dominator intake.

Headers, 3" exhaust system, Edelbrock 750 cfm,

727 Transmission (dont know the stall), 8 3/4, the gear is 3:54.

This is all I know at this time. What more do you need to know??? And what parts should I change to make it reach around 450-500 hp???

Here`s a picture of the engine. Maybe there is more parts that I could change to make more HP. ( the a/c is out, so should gain a few hp there)

Only going to use it on the street and no racecar, but want it to be STRONG!!!!

Ok, the car has power brakes so to keep the booster working properly you need to pick a cam that makes enough engine vacuum.

Cam : Engle k56
Heads : edelbrock rpm 84cc closed chamber
Carb : Proform 750 cfm

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: Tarzan on May 15, 2008, 03:13:36 AM
The brakes has an extra vacuum, is this something I need or should I take it off??

So the Engle k56 would be a good cam for my block?? How is this compared to comp cams?

Will this cam help to wake up the engine?

And does the edelbrock 84cc and the Engle k56 fit together?

With the K56 you probably won't need a vacuum booster. Engle make nice cams and so does Comp....you just need to pick the right one for your application. This cam will wake up the engine bigtime....especially in the bottom end torque area which is where street cars spend most of their time.

The Eddy heads and Engle K56 will work fine together.

Ron