News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440source Staelth Heads finally arrived

Started by Musicman, March 15, 2008, 02:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Musicman

Quote from: jackel440 on August 26, 2008, 07:00:23 PM
Did you go back and rework the valves and seats on these new heads?I would love to get some of these in the future I think they would be great. :2thumbs:

My entire build is at the machine shop as we speak. The block underwent the initial cleaning a few weeks back and has been waiting in line for machine work ever since. I had a 1928 Model A, and a 383 Cheby Stroker ahead of me, but my block should be sitting on the line borer by the end of the week. Yes, I am bringing the new Stealth heads up there very soon for a 1st Class valve job, and a change over to 10 degree locks & keepers. There is a flow bench in the shop, so maybe if I'm lucky I can talk him into flowing the heads real quick after he's done just for squirts and wiggles, or at least get permission to do it myself on his machine... we'll see...

As far as the heads themselves are concerned... I have said it many times in other posts... When you purchase a set of fully assembled heads ( regardless of manufacture), you are buying a set of heads and a set of generally acceptable parts to go with them. You are not paying for or receiving radical high performance components, a 3 angle valve job, or a first rate assembled package, etc... In most cases you can simply bolt them down after a quick inspection and get away with it, assuming everything looked good, but I wouldn't reccomend it. It's always better to fully disassemble them and check them out 100%. Always do a good valve job, and replace any component that you feel will not be up to the designed task. In my case, I am having a first rate valve job done, and I will be replacing the stock 7 degree locks and keepers with a 10 degree set. Not that there is anything wrong with the keepers that came with them, I'm just replacing them because it is a cheap upgrade that goes a long way toward greater piece of mind in the end. Besides... the money I saved buying these heads will cover the cost of the valve job and the upgraded components anyway.

Mike

gordo1968charger

with the stealth heads could you use hooker comp headers or is that not feasible?
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Runner

Quote from: gordo1968charger on August 29, 2008, 05:41:30 AM
with the stealth heads could you use hooker comp headers or is that not feasible?

i dont see any reason why not, the plugs are straight like stock heads.     im running hooker comp headers with e heads and they work great, you just have to be creative with your plug wire boots on a couple plugs and lightly ding 1 tube.  ive also been told that you cant run headman headers with the angled plugs, yet ive done it with out issue, no dings and no plug wire issues.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Doc

Hey Guys .... so what is the at-the-track or on-the-street REPORT CARD on these heads ? ..... and most of 440S stuff comes from China ...correct ?

Musicman

Quote from: Doc on September 04, 2008, 03:22:15 AM
Hey Guys .... so what is the at-the-track or on-the-street REPORT CARD on these heads ? ..... and most of 440S stuff comes from China ...correct ?

Reading through the thread will provide you with 99% of what you need to know about these heads. The only topic not mentioned here was a recent issue with retainer clearances when using stock rocker assemblies... It's just one of those things you have to look at when your inspecting the heads (assuming you bought them with the assembled components).

The heads themselves are at the entry level of aftermarket performance heads, better than stock, but not quite as good as Eddy's out of the box. They do have good potential however, and are great for the guy on a tight budget who would like something a little better, but doesn't want to break the bank. As stated previously in the thread above... if your buying assembled heads (regardless of manufacture) it is important to remember that you are only buying a set of components (cheaper than if purchased separately). You are not paying for the proper machine work that goes into "correctly" fitting these components to the heads however.

440 stuff is a mix of USA made and overseas products. In most cases they tell you where each piece comes from right on their web site... if not, a phone call would answer that question.

Doc

firefighter3931

Quote from: Doc on September 05, 2008, 06:37:59 AM
Mm ...were are those "tests" ?

Right under your nose in the proven engine combo's forum  :slap:  :lol:

Look at Mike's 505 : http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,43911.0.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs