News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Nose to fender seals...

Started by Daytona R/T SE, March 15, 2008, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

Who sells them? Who has the BEST fitting ones?  Does anybody make one that doesn't look like a kinked garden hose at the outside upper corner of the fender? Can anybody get the thumbnails on Dayclona's website to work?

johntpr

Dayclona's are the best...don't waste your money on the ones sold by year One etc that are made by Dales's Cuda Shop.  They are junk.

hemigeno

Are the repro's molded in one long straight piece so that you have to bend/kink it to fit?  I haven't seen a set so I was just guessing that you've already test fitted a pair with no success.  David Patik had told me a while back that there were no repro seals available that fit or looked like the originals did, but maybe things have changed.

Vance and I have been debating what to do with the fender/nosecone seals on my car for a while now.  We've even considered taking a set of '70 Charger seals with their molded corners, and cannibalizing another set of seals to extend the bottom section to the same length as the originals.  The bottom corner of the original seals is not molded like the top corner, so it has the "kinked hose" corner look you mentioned.  Our thought was that if we vulcanized two seal ends together (the top piece plus the cannibalized straight piece/extension), we could replicate the look of the originals.  There is a small line on the original seals where it looks like the mold for the '70 Charger seals was lengthened by several inches in order to make the Daytona-specific seals.  We figured that a glue/vulcanizing line at that same point would be fine even though it would have a slightly different appearance than the original molded line.

Thankfully, Vance dug out my original seals a week or so ago and found them to be in pretty decent shape (although he may have to reproduce & replace the metal backing channel pieces).  I still have two sets of NOS '70 Charger fender seals that I'm keeping around in case we decide the originals won't work after all. 

You might try playing around with an old set of seals to see if my hairbrained idea might work   :shruggy: 

UFO

I got these a few years back from "Josh's musclecar parts".Don't know the original supplier.If they're not perfect that's ok as mine is a clone anyway.
I don't remember who I was talking to about the repo's,but we had come to the conclusion that these are a little short on the bottom length.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

daytonalo

I brought the nose back to within 1/2 of fender and  used close cell black foam with skin on one side , it looks far better than the hack job factory did .

Larry

Daytona R/T SE

Thanks, Guys! I'll try to get ahold of Dayclona and see about their seals.

For those of you who don't know, my car is a clone, so it does not need to be 100% Correct. But a 3 inch wide piece of plastic landscaping trim ain't going to get it, either  :eek2:

I just need something that looks decent and fills the gap without looking like an old piece of kinked garden hose.

Geno, I have no original 70 Charger seals to experiment with, the '70 500 SE I bought for the front clip was missing the front bumper when I got it  :eek2:

Larry, I was experimenting with bringing the nose in closer and "Closing up the gap" but when you move the nose in, it affects the position of the Z-bars, valance, latch tray, hood safety catch and god knows what else, so I'm giving up the "Custom look" idea and going more for an "Optimized original" look.

BigBlockSam

Quote3 inch wide piece of plastic landscaping trim ain't going to get it, either   

:smilielol:  i agree. i don't like that look either , big black peice of rubber sticking out the sides.  . i saw daytonalo's solution and it looks real good, neat and simple too. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

NYCMille

Contact Mike Goyette at Dayclona - here is his site address: http://www.officialdayclona.com/ - ph: 508-977-0680 - email: Dayclona1@yahoo.com

I have one of his seals on the Daytona that I'm currently building, not only is the fit and finish dead on but Mike's knowledge and customer service was second to none - good people.

Hope this helps -

Mike

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: NYCMille on March 15, 2008, 08:51:51 PM
Contact Mike Goyette at Dayclona - here is his site address: http://www.officialdayclona.com/ - ph: 508-977-0680 - email: Dayclona1@yahoo.com

I have one of his seals on the Daytona that I'm currently building, not only is the fit and finish dead on but Mike's knowledge and customer service was second to none - good people.

Hope this helps -

Mike

Thanks for the contact info Mike. 

When are we going to see some spy shots of Mr. Angrier?

hotrod98

I haven't seen pics of any recently completed wingcars in quite some time. We're slackers. Slacker cloners.  ::)

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 15, 2008, 10:05:06 PM
I haven't seen pics of any recently completed wingcars in quite some time. We're slackers. Slacker cloners.  ::)

Reality and life keep getting in the way of my hobby  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

A383Wing

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 15, 2008, 10:05:06 PM

Mines done...and I have the crappy nosecone seals from YO on it also.....

Bryan  (well, it's actually the wife's car, she just lets me work on it and drive it)

daytonalo

MY SEALS