News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best motor oil

Started by 73chgrSE, March 10, 2008, 12:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you like?

conventional
15 (45.5%)
synthetic
16 (48.5%)
blend
1 (3%)
other
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

73chgrSE

I've always used regular old valvoline or pennsoil 10w/40 but I'm cosidering going synthetic. Am I just buying into the hype?

bordin34

The only thing I can compare Dino to Synthetic in is my golf cart. With Car Pennzoil Dino 10w-30 it ran fine, with Wal-Mart 10w-30 Synthetic the cart ran much smoother and seemed to make a little more power, then I switched to 15w-40 Dino Rotella T and the cart ran even smoother and made about the same power as synthetic.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Tilar

I run Pennzoil 10w-30 and Slick 50. My 125,000 mile V6 Chevy Lumina runs roughly 8,000 miles on an oil change and uses roughly 1 pint of oil in that time all the while getting 31 mpg on the highway, and 24 in town.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

hutch

I go with valvoline with a quart of Lucas Heavy Duty in all my cars.  Except when I put some Zmax in my engine every 40K miles.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

moparstuart

Quote from: hutch on March 10, 2008, 02:15:24 PM
I go with valvoline with a quart of Lucas Heavy Duty in all my cars.  Except when I put some Zmax in my engine every 40K miles.
i love lucas  , is that zmax stuff anygood ?

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hutch

Quote from: moparstuart on March 10, 2008, 02:21:16 PM
Quote from: hutch on March 10, 2008, 02:15:24 PM
  i love lucas  , is that zmax stuff anygood ?

I have used it for a little over a year now and I cant tell if its any better than not using it or not.  I was going to pop off my heads when my 440 source heads come in.  If the carbon was no better than before i was going to stop using it.

The Lucas stuff rocks I think.

moparstuart

there tranny additive works wonders on late model transmissions

superduperbee

My dad always used Mobil 1 synthetic. After his last van with a 318 went over 350,000 miles, and was never ever apart, except for a couple timing chains, I switched too. It's the only oil I use anymore. Ray

hutch

Quote from: moparstuart on March 10, 2008, 02:47:23 PM

zmax or lucas?  I was thinking about using the tranny lucas product but have not got around to buying it.

Chatt69chgr

Been using Mobil 1 Synthetic in truck with hemi.  I have read some of the posts about oil formulations being changed.  Something about the EPA and zinc.  Not really up on this.  Anybody up to speed on the zinc issue?

justin1987

Quote from: moparstuart on March 10, 2008, 02:47:23 PM

I had to get my transmission rebulit in my pickup about a month ago and the guy doing the rebuild said to never use the transmission additive because it makes the seals swell beyond what they are designed for. He said it works well at first, but in the long run you are ruining your transmission.

440charger68

I like to use olive oil, makes my engine smell like french fries. :icon_smile_big:
life's a garden, dig it.

4aThrill

I haven't used the stuff before but I heard that Royal Purple is the best bang for the buck, being doing some research on the stuff and I will be tryin it when we get the car back together this summer  :drive:

NorwayCharger

Royal Purple in the engine tranny and rear.
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

TruckDriver

Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntech
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

HITMAN 149

i use mobil 1  in my 01 ram, since i got it in 04... and it runs like a top. my buddy who is a vette freak...uses it in all his vehicles, and swears by it, and he's frigggggin anal about stuff like that!!! lol
ther's a big thread on here all about motor oils... do a search, it's alot of diff opinions, and research?!?!?
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

superduperbee

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on March 10, 2008, 04:52:41 PM
Been using Mobil 1 Synthetic in truck with hemi.  I have read some of the posts about oil formulations being changed.  Something about the EPA and zinc.  Not really up on this.  Anybody up to speed on the zinc issue?

Some of the older additives have stopped being used in the new dinosaur oils, which is a good reason to use synthetic now.Since most new cars have roller cams, friction coatings etc., the additives are no longer needed.  I've heard of guys wiping out cam lobes on fresh engines during break-in because these additives are missing now. Roller cams aren't a problem, it's the flat tappets you have to worry about. My brother-in-law use to build snowmobile and motocross engines for some world record holders and used Lucas and Slick 50 in every engine. Ray

Fitz73Chrgr

I use Mobil 1 in my Formula. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

69charger2002

i'm old school. i use castrol 20w50 in my chargers.. no problems (fingers crossed now)
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

moparstuart

Quote from: 69charger2002 on March 10, 2008, 08:48:15 PM
i'm old school. i use castrol 20w50 in my chargers.. no problems (fingers crossed now)
trav
20/50 yes but use valvoline

dpm68

I have heard that Penn and Quakerstate, etc. (east coast oils) are parrifin-based (wax) which causes buildup that leads to starvation issues. I use Castrol in my 4Runner and will prolly use Mobil One Synth in the Charger if it ever leaves the garage in my lifetime.