News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need your opinion on tires, polyglass or radial on a 68' Charger BB?

Started by StockMan, March 09, 2008, 08:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StockMan

I have a newly restored 68' charger 383 4bbl/auto and am looking to put tires on it.  I have 14X6 rims.  This car came with 14s with deep dish caps and the white line polyglass tires.  I would really like the purchase the same tire, maybe a touch bigger, but have been told I'll be very disappointed in the performance.  Years ago I owned a big block 68' charger with polyglass and didn't think it was to bad.  If I go with polyglass I will not have had the chance to drive on radials, so I wouldn't know the difference in performance anyway.  What are your thoughts?  Thanks

Dodge Don

I have a set of both. The Polyglas are only for show duty.......the radials are for driving. The difference is huge.

Ghoste

Don is right, a short drive around town on the polyglass will very quickly make you wonder how we ever drove around on those things back when they were state of the art.

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Dodge Don on March 09, 2008, 08:56:05 PM
I have a set of both. The Polyglas are only for show duty.......the radials are for driving. The difference is huge.
:iagree:  Switching to radials was the biggest improvement I ever made to the way my car drives.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Mike DC

Radial tires ride smoother and they're dowright safer. 

It's not only the hypothetical grip stats that are better, it's the characteristics too.  When you've pushed a tire past its handling limits, modern radials break loose in a more predictable/gradual manner than the old bias-plys did.  They're just better all around. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You can get reproduction radial tires that are meant to look like certain old polyglass patterns.  You might wanna look into this option.