News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

seat belt dyeing

Started by Paul w, March 07, 2008, 03:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul w

:-\ Hi guys iv been trying to re-color my seat belts from blue to black has anyone completed this job and got a good result from it  :icon_smile_question:

If you have can you let me in on the secret ?  :brickwall: iv tried but it just all go's hell  :flame: :RantExplode:  I must be doing something wrong  :pullinghair:
B3 / CHARGER R/T SE
MOVE OVER PEOPLE ARE RACING

Chatt69chgr

We covered this in earlier threads.  I did it and it worked perfectly.  In fact, I dyed blue ones to black.  Look at the RIT dye website.  It's been a while but I think the formula for 3 gallons was 1 pkg black and 1/2 pkg scarlet.  I am not sure about that but it's on their website.  The secret is to clean the belts real good in a pail of water with some liquid detergent, then heat the 3-gallon mixture up to 180 degrees.  Wet the belts and then "cook" them in the mix stirring frequently at the 180 degree temp, remove and rinse in warm, then cold water.  Blow dry with compressed air then dry overnight (on a hot air register in the house if possible).  It will mess up the buckles so you will have to repaint them when you get done.  Make sure to put a little sewing machine oil on the metal piece that grips the belt inside the buckle to keep it from rusting.  Buckles are semigloss black.  I have no idea how to get the buckles off the belts or if it can be done by a someone without special tools.  And the mix will dye the tags on the belts.  I just removed mine.  You can buy repops of these labels but they are real expensive.  Mine looked new when I got done.

Paul w

B3 / CHARGER R/T SE
MOVE OVER PEOPLE ARE RACING