News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Someone tell me if this is right or not.

Started by dkn1997, March 07, 2008, 12:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

Now, I am no tow truck driver, but is this the best way to strap down a car onto a flatbed?

and not one single strap on the passenger side either, just front and back on drivers side.  bear in mind that he is traveling on sunrise highway in Wantaugh  where people routinely go 60 plus on what seem like 90 degree turns with no median or shoulder to speak of.
RECHRGED

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Charger1973

C_stripes

I have hauled many cars.  As far as only on one side.  Bad idea. Straps threw the wheels.  Wy would you think that was bad?  Your car id supported by them.  I have had to haul cars on trailers allot for many different reasons.  Some newer cars.  There is not much to hook a strap to. So we go threw the wheels.  Works great.  knock on wood.  I have never lost a car yet.       Here is my latest.  Had to take a accesorised Tundra to the out door expo in SLC, UT last month.  We won the toyota comp with it.  Also.  It was snowing the whole way down there.  I had to drive 90 miles to get the truck to the salt palace.
The truck is a 08 Tundra with a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires. Its pretty nice.  Go test drive one before you start telling me otherwise. lol

I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Rolling_Thunder

through the alloy wheels...   not high on my list but it shouldnt have an issue...    should have one on each wheel however
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

dkn1997

Quote from: C_stripes on March 07, 2008, 01:23:41 AM
I have hauled many cars.  As far as only on one side.  Bad idea. Straps threw the wheels.  Wy would you think that was bad?  Your car id supported by them.  I have had to haul cars on trailers allot for many different reasons.  Some newer cars.  There is not much to hook a strap to. So we go threw the wheels.  Works great.  knock on wood.  I have never lost a car yet.     

"knock on wood"  and "I have never lost a car YET"are not the words I want to hear from my tow truck driver when he is referencing how he is strapping down my vehicle.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's obvious that at least 2 of you who tow a lot think it's ok, but I see that rolling by me and it screams "ghetto"   and "yeah, butch, just throw the damn thing on there and let's get going, I'm late for an appointment to go see my pimp"

Safety aside, I would be pretty put out if someone towed my car that way.  I say this from experience of having NEVER ONCE seen anyone anywhere strap a car down like this.  I probably just need to get out more. :eyes:

The dude in my pic is still a dirtsack for not strapping it down on both sides, though.  :slap:
RECHRGED

472 R/T SE

I see lots of folks who run one tie down in the front and one in the rear.  Only it's usually in the middle. 

I used to heavy haul, there are at least 4 points of tie down whenever I hauled something.  It's kind of like pulling a trailer with a short wheelbase rig or hauling a car loaded backwards, you'll only screw up that one time and it won't happen again.

hutch

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Rack

If that tundra was so badass, it would be pullin' that trailer, not sittin' on it.

:D sorry, I couldn't pass that one up.

C_stripes

Notice what it is being towed by. :icon_smile_big:  Another tundra.  There are three reasons it is on a trailer. 1. It is a brand new untitled vehicle with around 100 miles on it.  We didn't want to put any more on it. 2. The guys that did the lift on it did not get finished by the dead line due to a part not showing up for the rear breaks. (brand new style of lift kit) 3. We needed the truck and trailer to haul other stuff once we got there.

Also.  Yes. It is stupid to tow with only one side tied down. A few years ago I saw a guy hauling a rustang on a trailer and he had a comealong on the front and that was it. NOTHING ELS.  I passed him as fast as I could as I didn't want to be behind him.

For any of you thinking about buying a new car anytime soon.  I have a few suggestions. If you go to the dealer and want a specific car and they tell you that they can have it for you in two days. Ask them if you can personally go and get it (dealer trade). If they say no. Tell them it MUST BE TRAILERED!!  I have been on many dealer trades and know what these young kids do when they are driving a brand new vehicle with 10 miles on it threw Wyoming. Lets just say that tundras don't govern out even at 110mph. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

68charger383

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Green71R/T

The law requires a 4 corner tie down and the wich cable is supposed to be slack during transport. I do tie down the rear wheel of a motorcycle with a strap wrapped through the rim and around the tire.The tie down should prevent the load from moving side to side aswell as forward and back.

The70RT

Nylon straps through some wheels would probably mar the finish on long trip.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us